Talk Watch

shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by TheLostLion)
What did you think of Hamlet in 'Hamlet'? Do you think he was a noble prince or a destructive force in the play?
I think he was a noble prince intially, quite the tragic hero, but then he got corrupted by the world around him. The more he interacted with the corrupt characters, the more his traits became tainted until his potential for heroism disintegraged completely. By the end of the play, Hamlet was devoid of his former inner goodness and could be described as more of a villain, thus he did indeed become a destructive force in my opinion. And ultimately, that also cost him his life.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by TheLostLion)
I read the text in bold with a feeling that was sadness but trespassed into bitter-sweetness. I personally dislike 'happy' poetry because language is inherently akin to a balm and what healthy being needs healing? I doubt literature is ever truly happy unless you consider 'Winnie The Pooh' to be serious literature. :rofl:
It must be so nice to know that what you write isn't fake. I suppose because my focus - when I write - is more on words and their beauty rather than what I sincerely feel, I can immediately see that what I write is just that and nothing more. Interesting chat. Well, do keep writing! And posting it. Also, sorry for spamming your thread. Night.
That's exactly what I felt writing that sentence lol.
Yeah, you're right. But leave poor Winnie out of this🤧😂
Sometimes, it's a matter of perception also. Because if you focus on the beauty of words, to someone else reading them it might convey something more.
I enjoyed talking to you about this, maybe we should do this more often Goodnight, sweet prince (I had to😂)
LostLioness
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You know, during my studies I used to take comfort in the fact that Hamlet was a better procrastinator than me, no one else could ever quite achieve that feat. lol. I think when I read Hamlet I was at a mentally sensitive time of my life and so I read his character with a gentle perspective. In class people would say things like "he is obsessed with death and invites melancholy willingly" and yet all I saw in him was someone who wanted to understand the world better, a philosopher rather than a psychopath. He is the kind of person you want to shield against the world. I also think I am a little morbid, I find there to be artistic beauty in all tragedies. I have this silly notion that if I was every truly happy again, I would lose my understanding of the world and never be able to write.

Nothing sensible comes out of my mind past midnight, forgive me for the sappiness.
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
I think he was a noble prince intially, quite the tragic hero, but then he got corrupted by the world around him. The more he interacted with the corrupt characters, the more his traits became tainted until his potential for heroism disintegraged completely. By the end of the play, Hamlet was devoid of his former inner goodness and could be described as more of a villain, thus he did indeed become a destructive force in my opinion. And ultimately, that also cost him his life.
LostLioness
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My God, not you too! Winnie is for children, grow the hell up! (I am only joking, of course) I get so triggered when people like any art which is for children. :rofl: I sense impending hostility from you for this comment.
I enjoyed reading your poetry, definitely quite romantic! I like your style, I thought I wouldn't at first because nowadays people think writing single words on consecutive lines is poetry (ahem, milk and honey). I do feel like a hypocrite sometimes because although I believe that art is personal and therefore it can be anything, at the same time I hate much of the modern work. Maybe it is nostalgia that draws me towards older works and the traditional styles of writing.
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
That's exactly what I felt writing that sentence lol.
Yeah, you're right. But leave poor Winnie out of this🤧😂
Sometimes, it's a matter of perception also. Because if you focus on the beauty of words, to someone else reading them it might convey something more.
I enjoyed talking to you about this, maybe we should do this more often Goodnight, sweet prince (I had to😂)
lol what is this reference? I don't suspect it is from 'Hamlet'...Hamlet's mother would never have said those words. Gertrude was too scared of Hamlet's sword to go anywhere near him. Yes, pun intended. Night.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh I have a poem too!

Spoiler:
Show
his palms are sweaty
Knees weak, arms are heavy
There's vomit on his sweater already
Mom's spaghetti
Caoimhelouise2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I longed for you
To come back;
Back to us
Back to me...

To the good times
You made me feel;
Feel things I never have before
I felt alive with you...

But reality creeped back in
You left us;
You left me
But my love never left for you...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads