Applying to top City law firms? Watch

infiinitee_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've just currently finished my first year at university and have gotten my results back with me securing a very shaky 2:1 (an average lying in between 61-62%). I am definitely interested in applying for a vac scheme next year and have started researching which firms I am looking to apply to and their specialties etc. I was just wondering if there were an distinguishable characteristics I should know about each of the big MC/SC/US firms (eg: Slaughters are notorious for being picky with grades)? I would really appreciate all the help I could get as I am a bit overwhelmed and lost.

Additionally, I am just curious as to when I should apply for the vac schemes (ie: early on or if I should take some time to perfect my application and send it in a little later) and if I should apply for TCs this year or just focus on VCs?

Thank you all for your help!
infiinitee_
Rep:
?
Bump
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No one is going to respond to a thread between 9 and 10 am on a Monday morning. No need to bump.

You need to do some digging as to which City firms are academically selective. Slaughters is and you don't have a shot. Links isn't and I've seen people with good CVs + A-levels get VS interviews. CC seems to be somewhere in the middle. A&O and Freshfields always seemed to recruit people with high 2:1s and Firsts (a large % of their vac schemers also seem to do VSs at Slaughters, at least in the past two app cycles), but you can always take a shot.

If you're looking for a place to start your research on law firms themselves, head over to Legal 500/Chambers UK and take a look at the rankings. LawCareers.Net and Chambers Student have information on what solicitors in each practice seat do. You should also be doing Open Days where you'll get a chance to ask questions that you can't find on the internet face to face.

Firms that offer interviews and fill up the vac scheme on a rolling basis need to be applied to asap. The ones that don't are a bit trickier given that some will nonetheless start sifting through apps and rejecting people before the deadline for applications is over. All this means is that you'll have to devote a bigger chunk of September/October to writing and sending applications and make up for it later on.
infiinitee_
Rep:
?
Thank you!
Blancosdos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
What would you constitute a high 2:1? 66+?
Also would a 2;2 in a non law module be relevant, as long as one had firsts in other modules(esp tort and land).

Thanks for answering the previous query, didn't know that Links were not as fussy as Slaughters.
(Original post by JohanGRK)
No one is going to respond to a thread between 9 and 10 am on a Monday morning. No need to bump.

You need to do some digging as to which City firms are academically selective. Slaughters is and you don't have a shot. Links isn't and I've seen people with good CVs + A-levels get VS interviews. CC seems to be somewhere in the middle. A&O and Freshfields always seemed to recruit people with high 2:1s and Firsts (a large % of their vac schemers also seem to do VSs at Slaughters, at least in the past two app cycles), but you can always take a shot.

If you're looking for a place to start your research on law firms themselves, head over to Legal 500/Chambers UK and take a look at the rankings. LawCareers.Net and Chambers Student have information on what solicitors in each practice seat do. You should also be doing Open Days where you'll get a chance to ask questions that you can't find on the internet face to face.

Firms that offer interviews and fill up the vac scheme on a rolling basis need to be applied to asap. The ones that don't are a bit trickier given that some will nonetheless start sifting through apps and rejecting people before the deadline for applications is over. All this means is that you'll have to devote a bigger chunk of September/October to writing and sending applications and make up for it later on.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Blancosdos)
What would you constitute a high 2:1? 66+?
Also would a 2;2 in a non law module be relevant, as long as one had firsts in other modules(esp tort and land).

Thanks for answering the previous query, didn't know that Links were not as fussy as Slaughters.
Post got deleted, so I'll type the basics:

65 or 66, though firms that ask for a 'high 2:1' almost invariably end up hiring people with Firsts (with a few exceptions)
Don't know about 2:2s - sorry! Better email them and ask - or speak to a member of grad rec at your university's career fair
This is all based on what I'm seeing on Linkedin and among people who are applying. There are obviously tonnes of very academic people at all 5 MCs - e.g. people with Double Firsts from Cambridge at Links
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (152)
17.74%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.75%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
59.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (124)
14.47%

Watched Threads