I have an appointment with my GP today. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
How am I meant to explain my anxiety to my GP?
I am so scared. Mental health is not visible which makes it even difficult to talk about!
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Write down everything you've experienced so you don't forget anything
Just try and talk about the effect it is having on you
Suzanne123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How am I meant to explain my anxiety to my GP?
I am so scared. Mental health is not visible which makes it even difficult to talk about!
Your GP will of had plenty of people who feel the same as you, and find it difficult to explain their anxiety.
Just be honest and answer their questions honestly - best of luck!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you!
I've been given a number to call for counselling...
I'm not sure though
Mazzii342
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How did it go? I was so scared to see my GP. I put it off for so long and ended up not calling the counsellor and was in a really bad spot mentally, taking medications that weren't prescribed to me to try and stop my anxiety. It made it worse and I dropped out of Uni and quit my job. It's entirely up to you whether you want to see a counsellor and if you choose not to then just remember you can always go back to the GP or ring for counselling. Don't ever feel like you are a burden for re-seeking help. If I had have just carried on without speaking to someone I might have ended up insane or even dead. Of course not saying that would ever happen to you because I had other issues like depression and addiction, but the principle is the same, if things get worse, get help.

You went to your gp for a reason, maybe you're ready maybe you're not. Just remember you don't have to go through it alone and things do get better. (As cliche as that sounds).

Good luck!
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you!
I've been given a number to call for counselling...
I'm not sure though
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Hi I have an appointment on the 5th of August to speak to my gp about social anxiety and am so nervous, even saying mental health as the reason for the appointment has made me so anxious.
Any tips ? I just feel like then gp won’t take me serious and will just dismiss me , or il just start crying and end up being really embarrassed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (152)
17.76%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.76%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
59.11%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (123)
14.37%

Watched Threads