The Student Room Group

I just called in sick in my new job because I had a panic attack feel bad

So basically, I called in sick today in my job, I have only actually had this job 1 week.

I think my boss understood, as I just said I was feeling unwell and poorly today, but that I apologised and understood that I was in my probation period, and I was concerned about missing my training.

She said not to worry. Hope I feel better soon.

Problem is, I have a few medical appointments I need to book to be seen too. I don't want this to impede on me too much, and I can always just go in later if need be.

Do you think this will jeapordize my job? I don't want to push my luck already with the new job.

It's just I'm experiencing mental health issues, in relation to a health issue, and I need to address it with a professional.
Original post by Anonymous
So basically, I called in sick today in my job, I have only actually had this job 1 week.

I think my boss understood, as I just said I was feeling unwell and poorly today, but that I apologised and understood that I was in my probation period, and I was concerned about missing my training.

She said not to worry. Hope I feel better soon.

Problem is, I have a few medical appointments I need to book to be seen too. I don't want this to impede on me too much, and I can always just go in later if need be.

Do you think this will jeapordize my job? I don't want to push my luck already with the new job.

It's just I'm experiencing mental health issues, in relation to a health issue, and I need to address it with a professional.

i think it could affect your job, the best thing to do is say you need to make an appointment and ask them when if you have to go during work is the best timing.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
i think it could affect your job, the best thing to do is say you need to make an appointment and ask them when if you have to go during work is the best timing.

I feel incredibly guilty about ringing in, because, I actually really like my job, its just I am experiencing anxiety around a particular health issue, hence the panic attack today.

However, I need time off during the week to attend an appointment. I'm still in my training so this is problematic. Some girl in my training group had two appointments, and she was able to go to those.

However, now I've rang in sick, it may not bode well for me, if I then ask if I can attend an appointment next week.

The job itself is very out of my comfort zone, but the company is pretty supportive. And my boss seemed fine over the phone. I basically just told her I was feeling poorly, and that I was aware I am in my probation period, and that I'm missing my training and again apologised.

She said its fine, and we can pick up on the training when I return.

But I don't want to rock the boat and lose out on this job.

Already got a telling off by a friend of mine, who said I'm chucking away this opportunity, but its my anxiety that is an issue. Like, if I can't focus when I am there, because of anxiety, this is a problem for me.
Probation for what?
Reply 4
Probation for what?

For a job. As in, I'm in my 2nd week of a job I just started.
Reply 5
can you look at appointments that occur after your work?

depending on the health issues, you can consider how they may affect you at your job and research to see best solution to minimize or change that. sometimes that affect may be good.
If your mental health is affecting your job it’s best to sort out your issues first and then go into a job
I feel incredibly guilty about ringing in, because, I actually really like my job, its just I am experiencing anxiety around a particular health issue, hence the panic attack today.

However, I need time off during the week to attend an appointment. I'm still in my training so this is problematic. Some girl in my training group had two appointments, and she was able to go to those.

However, now I've rang in sick, it may not bode well for me, if I then ask if I can attend an appointment next week.

The job itself is very out of my comfort zone, but the company is pretty supportive. And my boss seemed fine over the phone. I basically just told her I was feeling poorly, and that I was aware I am in my probation period, and that I'm missing my training and again apologised.

She said its fine, and we can pick up on the training when I return.

But I don't want to rock the boat and lose out on this job.

Already got a telling off by a friend of mine, who said I'm chucking away this opportunity, but its my anxiety that is an issue. Like, if I can't focus when I am there, because of anxiety, this is a problem for me.

has your gp not got extended access where you can get an appointment in the evening? or do you feel it's something severe enough/ a short term not chronic thing where a walk in centre could help you?
Sounds like your friend has no concept of anxiety which isn't exactly comforting. As others have said, are there any walk in centres you could use or appointments that fall out of work time? If your boss and the company already seem supportive then there's no harm in asking, as long as you keep them updated and try your hardest to come in and find appointments outside of work then that's all they can ask for. Your health should always come first.
I feel that a panic attack is big enough to warrant a day off if the person feels that they need to just take some time out.
Reply 10
You need to speak with your boss about your appointments, but approach them with as much information as possible, eg when the appointments are likely to be, if this will be over a few weeks or a longer-term issue. You can then sort out how this could impact on your training or your job, and how you could catch up on anything you miss.

Also find out from your HR department about the policy on sick leave, such as how many days you are allowed off over a certain time, or if you need to provide any letters for your appointments. Also, be careful of sick days on Mondays and Fridays; sometines it can't be helped, but some places are strict on this happening too many times around a weekend, if it's a normal 5-day week.

Quick Reply

Latest