Council Tax Help

Watch
ahfae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I've just finished first year at uni and I'm in the midst of moving out of my halls. I'm looking for a flat with my older sister but I'm confused as to who will need to pay what for the council tax. I'm 19, she is 23 and is a junior doctor but also doing a masters at uni on the side. Does that technically make her a student too? And if so, do we both get discounts or what? Thanks for the help in advance. (Just a side note: I do know the tax band is a C and we live in Glasgow)
luxuriabitur
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If she can get a letter of student status to show to the council then you will both be exempt or it will be like a reduced council tax, get her to check her uni account or email her uni
scorpion95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Find out if your sister is paying council tax if not then don't worry. If she is then if she can't qualify for the exemption then depending on your council you can get a % discount if you move in with her. Maybe 25% discount (check on your local council website)

I would recommend though if she is currently payng council tax and you do move in, getting her name taken off the council tax and yourself put on the council tax instead. That way you don't have to pay any council tax as you are exempt from paying council tax and if she isn't on the system it is better and she is saving money. Just make sure she is taken off voting if she registered at the address and get registered at your parents place instead if she wants to be able to vote.
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Last I remember, students don't pay council tax.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ahfae)
Hi, I've just finished first year at uni and I'm in the midst of moving out of my halls. I'm looking for a flat with my older sister but I'm confused as to who will need to pay what for the council tax. I'm 19, she is 23 and is a junior doctor but also doing a masters at uni on the side. Does that technically make her a student too? And if so, do we both get discounts or what? Thanks for the help in advance. (Just a side note: I do know the tax band is a C and we live in Glasgow)
No, she's not a FULL TIME student so there is no exemption available.

She will be liable for the full council tax on the property, minus 25% single occupancy discount (you're a student so you're exempt).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.56%
Excited but a bit nervous (123)
45.72%
Not bothered either way (35)
13.01%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.7%

Watched Threads