Why did you not take English at A-level? Watch

Evil Homer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The number of A-level entries in any of the English disciplines has been declining rapidly over the last four years, just look at the entry data below:

Name:  English drop.PNG
Views: 64
Size:  12.9 KB

With these numbers seemingly spreading out to multiple subjects rather than just one, I wanted to know, why are students no longer interested in taking English?

Did you decide against taking English at A-level, if so why?

If you have still taken it, why? Are you still enjoying it or do you regret it now?

I personally think it's a shame if we continue to lose the amount of variation we have in our education system as students continue to flock to STEM.
KimJayneNoel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah im currently taking English lit at level, i am enjoying at the moment, however theirs so much pressure to do good, therefore i think thats the reason why so many people are choosing against it, plus your expected to know stuff which you haven't covered before just like that
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was too scared to take it. I considered doing English lit for a while as it was one of my best and favourite subjects at GCSE but for some reason the A-level just intimidated me. I do kind of regret not doing it now.

I agree with you about STEM. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of people doing STEM subjects purely due to the reputation rather than through actual enjoyment.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The clinching factor was: in GCSE, English was never a lesson that I looked forward to having, even if I ended up enjoying the lesson or the work. Same goes for German, and biology, and DT. Chemistry was a bit more difficult to drop but I'm happy I did. With A-level I wanted to make sure that I could look forward to every lesson I had and be certain that I wouldn't regret my subjects.
So I took further maths with maths, physics and I took history just to kind of balance things out.

But that graph alone doesn't necessarily suggest that people are dropping it in favour of STEM? Psychology is certainly on the rise :beard:
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 month ago
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have recently completed my literature A-level but I only started with taking English Language (still cheating, but I'll take it!)
The main reason I only took 1 English to begin with was because I wanted to establish a good spread of subjects (chemistry, business, etc).
This does not relate to me, but there are also a lot of facilitating subjects besides literature, with language not being one at all - it can even be looked down upon!
History is another solid essay subject that is just as facilitating as English
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
The clinching factor was: in GCSE, English was never a lesson that I looked forward to having, even if I ended up enjoying the lesson or the work. Same goes for German, and biology, and DT. Chemistry was a bit more difficult to drop but I'm happy I did. With A-level I wanted to make sure that I could look forward to every lesson I had and be certain that I wouldn't regret my subjects.
So I took further maths with maths, physics and I took history just to kind of balance things out.

But that graph alone doesn't necessarily suggest that people are dropping it in favour of STEM? Psychology is certainly on the rise :beard:
It is, but it's very difficult to show you all the graphs.

You can see the data here on page 9

As you can see there doesn't really seem to be one subject that is benefitting from the loss of English candidates, although it would be a fair assumption to presume some of them are indeed going to Psychology!
Its_Imaan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the reason I didn't take English at A level was because whilst I was good at English at GCSE level the the work that I managed to produce in class was much better than the results that I got from my tests so I didn't have the confidence to sit the A level English exams
(Original post by Evil Homer)
The number of A-level entries in any of the English disciplines has been declining rapidly over the last four years, just look at the entry data below:

Name:  English drop.PNG
Views: 64
Size:  12.9 KB

With these numbers seemingly spreading out to multiple subjects rather than just one, I wanted to know, why are students no longer interested in taking English?

Did you decide against taking English at A-level, if so why?

If you have still taken it, why? Are you still enjoying it or do you regret it now?

I personally think it's a shame if we continue to lose the amount of variation we have in our education system as students continue to flock to STEM.
Switch01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I found english meh at GCSE, only really liked inspector calls, everything else was boring. So i prioritized subjects id enjoy more and that would be more useful for future careers like math and chem. Also i was always scared i wasnt good at english even though i was alright at gcse.
Your Local Cat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because I found English (mainly lit) boring.
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because I just didn't enjoy the subject, the teacher was amazing, which is why I thought the subject was for me because I enjoyed going to the lessons, she made it interesting, but when the time came to study on my own, there was nothing there to light the fire of interest.
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheNamesBond.)
Because I just didn't enjoy the subject, the teacher was amazing, which is why I thought the subject was for me because I enjoyed going to the lessons, she made it interesting, but when the time came to study on my own, there was nothing there to light the fire of interest.
What did you enjoy studying on your own instead?
kurro
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Always hated it since GCSE as I had sh*t vocab and couldn't think of creative storylines or ideas.
I was also predicted a D from the start by my English teacher (for some reason all the foreigners were predicted D's -_- ). So that put me off too, got an A tho so screw you Mrs whatever it was.

The foreigners also all got dropped from English lit in year 11 so we wasted the whole year learning and reading about the twelfth-night ffs.
Last edited by kurro; 1 month ago
Jamie_1712
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I hate English. Sure it came fairly naturally to me, but it was very boring and not once from primary school all the way through gcse did I enjoy studying it. Possibly one of my least favourite subjects.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Dunya
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because this would be me after writing 5 words.
Name:  images-1.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  15.3 KB
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because when picking my A levels they were chosen on the basis of not having to write essays ever again :lol: Also for me at GCSE English only really clicked (in that I was scoring reasonable marks) in the last 3 months and I wouldn't have wanted to risk that again at A level (or even it not clicking at all!)
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
What did you enjoy studying on your own instead?
I didn't.
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dunya)
Because this would be me after writing 5 words.
Name:  images-1.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  15.3 KB
You take your pants off when you write yeh? What you writing, erotica?
GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've always been a maths and science oriented person, so naturally I just picked maths and science A level subjects (maths, FM, chemistry, physics).

At GCSE I didn't like having to read books and plays that I had no interest in. I hated writing the kinds of essays you have to write in English and honestly didn't see the point in debating, for example, whether Eric's character changes throughout the play in An Inspector Calls. Having to memorise a ridiculous number of quotes for the exam was also another thing I didn't like.

In effect, I didn't choose English because I didn't like it and my favourite subjects were very different to it - I think you'll find that most people who took it only took it because they had a particular interest in it. Everybody else would just pick other subjects and not think twice about considering English.
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Originally I did want to take English Language for A Level because my aim was to study psychology. I had that dream crushed by a teacher though and found that I had an interest in earth science, so I chose my A Levels based on pursuing that instead. During the first couple of years of secondary school I really enjoyed studying English, but when it became focused around analysing what other people had written instead of writing creatively myself, it lost all of its enjoyment so I probably wouldn't have chosen it anyway
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hated it at gcse, bored to death every lesson. despite it being my top subject. I just don’t see the point in analysing old books🤭
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.48%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.84%
Terrified (381)
22.22%
Meh (170)
9.91%
Confused (37)
2.16%