The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Despite English Language being my top subject at GCSE (1 of my only 2 subjects I can get A/A* in) I decided not to take it next year at A Level because English lessons at GCSE killed me, it was always without failure the most boring hour of any day I had it. Decided not to take English Literature because Shakespeare, poetry and boring books aren't my jam, I did it in year 10 and was 1 mark off a B, but glad I haven't had to touch a poem in over a year now.
syrup!
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
PRSOM
(Original post by Dunya)
Because this would be me after writing 5 words.
Attachment 835442
Icykitten
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I didn't take it because: 1) I hate English 2) Even if I wanted to I didn't get a high enough grade to take it for A level anyway.
3) Maths and science are my thing
liamlarner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am taking English Literature for A Level because i like reading shakespeare and novels and i like looking at context of the authors and when the books were written hoping for a solid grade A or A* at the end
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Too much reading, and I don’t like English literature as it is just “too big”. Yo can feel intimidated by having to read the books over and over, learn quotes, speeches, just it feels overwhelming, and incomprehensible.
OctoberRain7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I nearly didn’t take English Lit at A-Level as it was one of my weaker subjects up until the exams and I was also considering doing Physics as my fourth subject. Eventually I did pick it as for the degrees I was considering (Law/Politics) it was a good essay subject and therefore really useful. Now it’s probably my favourite subject
HappyMedic2001
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I really enjoyed GCSE English Language and English Literature and always found joy in revising it. When it came to choosing A levels, I did consider it as I scored 2A*s in both English but my choice of career ( Medicine) forced me to take the STEM subjects, having English on top of them would be very stressful
Oscarwetnwilde
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I decided against taking english at a-level because on GCSE result day I only got a 5 and a 6 (i was predicted much higher and had never gotten anything below a 6 in mocks etc) so i decided against it.
Turns out lots of people who got low got theirs remarked and went up a few grades, if I had done this and actually done better than a 5 i probably wouldve taken it. Took business instead because I got an A in it at GCSE
(Original post by Evil Homer)
The number of A-level entries in any of the English disciplines has been declining rapidly over the last four years, just look at the entry data below:

Attachment 835408

With these numbers seemingly spreading out to multiple subjects rather than just one, I wanted to know, why are students no longer interested in taking English?

Did you decide against taking English at A-level, if so why?

If you have still taken it, why? Are you still enjoying it or do you regret it now?

I personally think it's a shame if we continue to lose the amount of variation we have in our education system as students continue to flock to STEM.
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As an English lit. student, I think there's no reason to be upset by STEM's increase in popularity. They are in great demand, help the economy and are definitely more valuable than English, which is why I took chemistry.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 4 months ago
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I took English Lit for AS but dropped it because I didn't enjoy it, and I preferred my other subjects. I wanted to be able to read a book without analysing every word for "meanings".
euphoricat
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think many of the international students are worried about taking A-Level English and choose the more number based STEM subjects instead.(speaking from my observation)
Neilos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I love reading, and I've always been very good at writing too (worked as a writer for a few years). But school crushed every single bit of enjoyment or interest in the subject of English that little 11-year-old me had. Mainly the syllabus itself and the way the subject was taught, but I also had useless teachers (including four different ones for GCSE, one of whom lost half our coursework) and just gave up on it in the end because it was so uninteresting.

Probably the last subject I'd have considered for A Level, despite it also being the one subject I'm naturally very good at.
Ccyxxx
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I hated english language a level, its not a clever A level. shouldnt be allowed to study english as a subject its ridiculous putting a label on everything and simply describing it, there are no real world applications like other subjects. English is dying because its a useless subject
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
currently doing english lit at a level and i kinda wish i picked something else as it's so much work i don't hate it but sometimes i'm having to force myself to put the effort in- this could be partly due to the texts we are doing; i don't feel like there's a lot to say about some of them so i'm just repeating points from before and not really discovering anything new about them. really like doing othello and atonement though.
not surprised entries are dropping, people are either loving or hating the subject and i can't imagine appealing it to most at gcse. i really liked it at gcse but now, not so much at a level and you've also got the message that's being increasingly drilled in our heads that STEM subjects are the better ones to take. my english lit class had over 20 in the beginning of the year, we've got like 11 now; it's not easy at all.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There was a fairly remote possibility that I might have taken English Lit at A-level, but I decided not to in the end because:

a) I didn't enjoy English Language at GCSE because I never really understood it. I feared that many of the same skills required in English Language would probably be required in A-level English Lit.
b) languages are way better. You study literature in a foreign language in A-level and degree level languages anyway. They're also far more applicable.
c) The brochures I was given by my English teachers to promote English Lang and Lit at A-level contained 12 spelling, punctuation and grammar errors between them (and they didn't even contain that much text!).

I'm more sad about the decline in A-level MFL entries than the decline in A-level English entries
Last edited by 782446389; 4 months ago
Bill Nye
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Because I hate english, and am bad at it lmao
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
After the atrociously horrible and boring gcse, who in their right mind would take english language lol. I did english lit AS and it was enjoyable but I just find science and maths easier and more interesting. Best thing about english was definitely the in class discussions. Worst thing was having to write essays at home, always put them off til very late or just flat out didn't do them haha.
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Why did I not take English Lit at A level? Because it's cancer, like you have to write so, so SO BLOODY MUCH, like can you imagine doing a 3 hour exam straight? I actually felt sorry for the A level English Lit students at my school doing their 3 hour exams, I would be VERY exhausted from writing 3 hours of essays and essays. And the content itself is boring as ****, you have to read *****y books and poems which I have extremely little interest in and yeah...it's just even more boring than maths tbh.
If anyone enjoys doing English Lit, good for them but this is simply my personal take on the subject.
Dunya
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A big fat NO. I couldn't write a novel to save my life.
(Original post by TheNamesBond.)
You take your pants off when you write yeh? What you writing, erotica?
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
GCSE English was complete BS. To do well (I got As in Lit and Lang) all you had to do was make up some crazy person's interpretation (with quote), contrast it with another crazy person's interpretation, pick one you think had more weight and repeat until exam time ran out. It was just a test to see how much nonsense you could write in 2 hours and I certainly didn't want to do any more of that at A Level.

It just seemed a rubbish subject that was 'compulsory'. Reading junk poetry and Shakespeare that aren't even in proper English just made it seem even more silly. I get that I need to know how to read, write and spell, and doing more complicated versions of that again and again makes me better at communicating, but most of the stuff I wrote in the exams I wouldn't say to another person unless I was trying to wind them up.

It's good that more people are moving to STEM. Employers now need to do their bit and actually finish things by training these graduates rather than relying on poaching from other companies.
Last edited by ThomH97; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (42)
19.27%
Unconditional if firmed (18)
8.26%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.92%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.29%
No unconditional offers (151)
69.27%

Watched Threads