Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hope everyone well, Just need some advice if anyone could help shed some light I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just finishing f2 and have a medical place for next year. Ive recently come to the realisation that the medical specialties arent for me and what I would like to do is anaesthetics and ICM dual CCT. Taking a year out of training isn't really an option for me as I already started quite late. What I want to know is if I do my IMT1 year then do CAT the subsequent year, Will the length of dual training for ICM be reduced as I already have a year of medicine? (assuming I get an outcome 1) .
Chwirkytheappleboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have a look at this document: https://www.ficm.ac.uk/sites/default...v1.3_final.pdf

The comment on p2 stating: “their previous time in CMT could be counted toward the 12 months’ medicine required for Stage 1 of ICM CCT training (in blocks of no less than 3 months3), should they later be appointed to an ICM CCT programme” would suggest to me that you can count it. But read the doc in full to get a clearer picture
Anonymous #1
Thank you so much for showing me that! I had a read of it and completely missed or misunderstood that point.
Just to double check would this be applicable only to those who have not completed CMT/IMT or just one year of it? If you know

(Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
Have a look at this document: https://www.ficm.ac.uk/sites/default...v1.3_final.pdf

The comment on p2 stating: “their previous time in CMT could be counted toward the 12 months’ medicine required for Stage 1 of ICM CCT training (in blocks of no less than 3 months3), should they later be appointed to an ICM CCT programme” would suggest to me that you can count it. But read the doc in full to get a clearer picture
Spencer Wells
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As long as you have a training number for IMT, and complete the full 12 months with a successful ARCP outcome, you can count that time towards your ICM training time. The total time in training would be 1 year CMT, 2 years CAT, 5.5 years dual training, resulting in a 8.5 years total time.
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you so much for showing me that! I had a read of it and completely missed or misunderstood that point.
Just to double check would this be applicable only to those who have not completed CMT/IMT or just one year of it? If you know
Anonymous #1
Thank you so much both of you I really appreciate your help. By any chance what grade are you?
One thing Ive wondered is where do ICM trainees do their medical training as I've never run into an ICM trainee on a medical job either as a doc or a med student. do they tend to be localised to a few hospitals?

(Original post by Spencer Wells)
As long as you have a training number for IMT, and complete the full 12 months with a successful ARCP outcome, you can count that time towards your ICM training time. The total time in training would be 1 year CMT, 2 years CAT, 5.5 years dual training, resulting in a 8.5 years total time.
Spencer Wells
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a dual anaesthesia/ICM ST8.

In my region the medical job can be anywhere, but there aren't very many ICM trainees in the country - only 70-90 are appointed each year nationally, so it's rare to have more than one per hospital.
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you so much both of you I really appreciate your help. By any chance what grade are you?
One thing Ive wondered is where do ICM trainees do their medical training as I've never run into an ICM trainee on a medical job either as a doc or a med student. do they tend to be localised to a few hospitals?
anonymousmask
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm currently heading down this route, finished one year of CMT and about to complete my first year of CAT - hoping to dual train. I double checked with the FICM before I made the switch to CAT and they confirmed that you can count the year (it if that's any more reassurance)!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.2%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (19)
15.97%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (21)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (15)
12.61%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (37)
31.09%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (22)
18.49%

Watched Threads