The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Football players earning more than Doctors - is this right?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime

Only then there's a true free market surely. The NHS is a monopoly. It can suppress wages to a far greater degree than say an individual football club could.

Indeed. But doctors overwhelmingly support the NHS despite how poorly they get treated as employees.
Becoming a doctor is intense and involves a lot of studying so people who become doctors don't do it for the money, they do it because they love the profession. I also assume this question is being asked by a non-doctor and if so why does it even matter to you what other people are paid?

A valid reason for not becoming a doctor is that you prefer a quiet environment which doesn't involve overwhelming cooperation with colleagues and patients but not because 'not enough money'. Anyway doctors actually get paid a nice salary, especially as you progress up the ladder.
Original post by Kayb7893
How do you feel about professional football players earning much, much more than doctors? Is this morally correct? What are your opinions?
Can this be justified?
Would love all of your opinions, thnx.
people enjoy watching football, people go to matches, people pay for the matches. where else is that money suppose to go? if im working, and people are paying to see me working, i deserve that money just like the footballers.
the reason footballers are paid loads is because of the public spending money on them. funnily enough alot of the people ive seen complain about footballers getting more money are the people who play fifa, buy fifa points, watch football on tv, and go to football events....
Original post by mattlcfc
😂😂😂 the disrespect and the lack of knowledge on this thread bewilders me. Think most of you, who have probably never done a sport do not realise that footballers have worked all of their lives, day in day out to get where they want to be. That’s hard work surely? They also train and do fitness endurance 6/7 days a week, don’t get to see family / friends around Christmas and in the week, get death threats on social media, have to maintain a profile. But clearly they all “dive and cry”

Do footballers put their life on the line to save others? Do they work constant shifts and endure stress constantly in order to save lives?
I used to subscribe to that idea but now I don't. At the end of day people choose to become doctors because they are passionate about saving people's lives no matter what, not because it is good money. The amount of stress that is involved is not worth the money since there are probably jobs that are less stressful and have a lower workload but a higher pay out.
Original post by Professional G
Do footballers put their life on the line to save others? Do they work constant shifts and endure stress constantly in order to save lives?
Doctors are paid and work for a public body, the NHS, compared to the insane demand for football and their subsequent pay, not a huge proportion of people so not bothered too much, though as with public workers, including doctors, teachers, etc. their pay i feel is far too low for the job and service that they provide to the country.
Original post by Kayb7893
How do you feel about professional football players earning much, much more than doctors? Is this morally correct? What are your opinions?
Can this be justified?
Would love all of your opinions, thnx.

I think it's morally reprehensible, but its inevitable under a free-market system. The industry generates vast amounts of revenue, as such the greatest perceived talent are rewarded accordingly.

It's the same reason why female sporting talent - despite almost certainly putting in as much 'effort' to reach the higher echelons of their field (which is an argument people love to make) - aren't rewarded anywhere near as well as their male counterparts.

The contributions made by doctors are, by all measures, far greater than that of an entertainment figure (which is what footballers are). Thats the reason, in part, why it sits uneasy with people the disparity between the respective income of each of those.

I don't believe it isn't morally correct. But I think it can be justified. If that makes sense!
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
so that's wayyyy more important than saving lives? doctors and other healthcare professionals work their asses off to save people and they don't get paid as much. how is that fair lmao?

What's fair got to do with it?

And why did you bump an 11 month old thread?
Original post by Drewski
What's fair got to do with it?

And why did you bump an 11 month old thread?

what happenened to equality lmao
and plus why not
what happenened to equality lmao
and plus why not

I don't think you understand what equality is.

Because you've just started your own thread asking the exact same thing?
Original post by Drewski
I don't think you understand what equality is.

Because you've just started your own thread asking the exact same thing?

sorry is that a problem? i can reply to whatever thread i want lmaoooo
sorry is that a problem? i can reply to whatever thread i want lmaoooo

Other than being against the rules of the forum you signed up to...

And reply to a thread, sure. But did you actually read it?

Latest

Trending

Trending