Does the University I go to affect my career? Watch

chloeellen52
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I want to do an LLB Hons Law degree in 2020. I have looked at 4 universities so far, and I loved Bournemouth Uni (which wants 104-124 UCAS points which is BCC at the lowest) it checked all of my boxes and I can see myself there. However, I know and understand it is easier to get a training contract with a good firm from a Russell Group Uni, and that is what I want. But I visited Bristol and (sorry if you like Bristol) but I really did not like it, the pressure and demand they have on students and the lack of diversity there (private school students, white and rich. Nothing wrong with that but just not ALL of the students be like that) that is something that is a massive turn off for me, and this seems to be a pattern with Russell Group universities.

I don't know what to do essentially. Where I live and my happiness comes first but I do not want to finish my degree and not have any options because firms don't accept me because I am not from the top 10 law schools...
Also I am predicted A*AA for my A levels and one BTEC.
Last edited by chloeellen52; 3 months ago
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What sort of career are we talking about?

An A*AA student should find sitting in a classroom with C and D students for three years to be more of a turn-off than anything else mentioned
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For law yes.
Paolo3100
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Could you be more specific with diversity?
Do you want more people of the same ethnicity or religion on ur course?
chloeellen52
Rep:
?
A lawyer..

I will lack in self confidence and motivation if I am surrounded by those who are from a completely different background to what I am from, such as private school students who have done 4 a levels and are used to the workload and pressure aka the majority of Russell Group Uni students. I would rather be surrounded by a diverse range of people than the private school people duplicated a thousand times. Or maybe I have the wrong impression.
Does that make sense? This is why I am so clued up lol
(Original post by JohanGRK)
What sort of career are we talking about?

An A*AA student should find sitting in a classroom with C and D students for three years to be more of a turn-off than anything else mentioned
chloeellen52
Rep:
?
Diversity as in a range of ethnicities and levels of intelligence, not all snobs essentially or stuck up students.
(Original post by Paolo3100)
Could you be more specific with diversity?
Do you want more people of the same ethnicity or religion on ur course?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by chloeellen52)
............l
Then you aren't going to get a very high powered/paid job in law. So the question is, are you going to try and overcome your underconfidence (and apparent discrimination against people who don't have the same background to you) or are you going to remain in your rut?

If you are going to change, then university is far and away the easiest time in your life to make that change.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
A lawyer..

I will lack in self confidence and motivation if I am surrounded by those who are from a completely different background to what I am from, such as private school students who have done 4 a levels and are used to the workload and pressure aka the majority of Russell Group Uni students. I would rather be surrounded by a diverse range of people than the private school people duplicated a thousand times. Or maybe I have the wrong impression.
What sort of lawyer? What sort of work? Bournemouth will give you better access to certain opportunities than others.

This is pretty much social immobility in a nutshell.

If the kids at RG unis have made it by having certain characteristics (being somewhat articulate, studious, goal- or project-oriented, capable of understanding the importance of networking, etc.) you should be throwing yourself in with them and trying to adopt the 'good' bits (not the elitism, snobbery, whatever) of their characters. If you wanna be grouped with a bunch of losers from your local housing estate, you might as well not go to uni.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Then you aren't going to get a very high powered/paid job in law. So the question is, are you going to try and overcome your underconfidence (and apparent discrimination against people who don't have the same background to you) or are you going to remain in your rut?

If you are going to change, then university is far and away the easiest time in your life to make that change.
You got to it first

It's shocking how same-y barristers and 'top' graduate trainee solicitors are, even if they are nominally from different ethnicities or parts of the country.
meme259
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
if you can't deal with being around people who went to private school/are white, then it sounds like you're the problem, not them....
ijhijhojikojik
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
A lawyer..

Hey

I got A*A*A* from an awful school and didn't bother applying to any of the top unis. Please go to the best one you can. I'm at one with AAA average and the difference between me and most others is painful... it feels like a complete waste of time to be honest cause when I work I average 90 but the highest grade you can get is a first at 70 lol. (in fairness I think it's much harder to get first in non science subjects). If you're on about motivation there is nothing which kills it like working hard being meaningless.

About posh people, if you go to a genuinely average state school yeah there's a night and day difference. People who say there isn't are lying or their "state" school is actually a grammar or the best one in their area. At mine only about 25% are private schooled but this is really misleading... at least another third are from grammar/very middle class states. I don't really fit in socially with most you just live with it and ignore it and look for people you get on with, even at somewhere like oxbridge where I'd guess 90% will be from said schools they'll be people you get on with and can relate to. Don't let it put you off you're there to work at the end of the day, even if you dislike it (you probably won't) it's not very long.
Last edited by ijhijhojikojik; 3 months ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
All top universities have high levels of richer kids but even then there are more normal or poorer students in any university than richer ones. No university is right for everyone and it doesnt necessarily follow that you wont like other RG universities or other similar graded universities. For somebody with your likely qualifications Bournemouth does seem low. Unless you are looking at London and the bigger law companies you should be able to train and practice from non RG universities. How about looking into a mix of RG and non RG universities. As you are looking at Bournemouth have you looked at Southampton, Exeter and Cardiff as RG that are not too far away. In terms of non RG look at Reading, Kent and Sussex
I want to do an LLB Hons Law degree in 2020. I have looked at 4 universities so far, and I loved Bournemouth Uni (which wants 104-124 UCAS points which is BCC at the lowest) it checked all of my boxes and I can see myself there. However, I know and understand it is easier to get a training contract with a good firm from a Russell Group Uni, and that is what I want. But I visited Bristol and (sorry if you like Bristol) but I really did not like it, the pressure and demand they have on students and the lack of diversity there (private school students, white and rich. Nothing wrong with that but just not ALL of the students be like that) that is something that is a massive turn off for me, and this seems to be a pattern with Russell Group universities.

I don't know what to do essentially. Where I live and my happiness comes first but I do not want to finish my degree and not have any options because firms don't accept me because I am not from the top 10 law schools...
Last edited by swanseajack1; 3 months ago
stabilo20619
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Just to reiterate what others have said, in your future profession you'll be mixing with many different types of people. Don't exclude yourself from Russel group for those reasons - frankly, they're really stupid reasons.

The type of person you seem to dislike will be going to Oxbridge, not a Russel group uni.
ijhijhojikojik
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by stabilo20619)
Just to reiterate what others have said, in your future profession you'll be mixing with many different types of people. Don't exclude yourself from Russel group for those reasons - frankly, they're really stupid reasons.

The type of person you seem to dislike will be going to Oxbridge, not a RusSubmit reply

sel group uni.
Bottom part isn't true at all, anywhere good is middle class drone central, not just oxbridge...
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Regardless of whether or not you are doing the right thing in trying to avoid having to mix too much with the sort of students you associate with RG unis (private school educated, rich, white etc) it is undeniably your choice what sort of uni you wish to go to. With your predicted grades, I would only urge you not to go too low as it is easy enough to avoid the RG unis with the reputation for having the most white, middle class students. Bristol does have that reputation, as do Exeter and Durham.

If I was someone that wanted to go to a good uni that was also ethnically diverse, I would be researching which ones have a higher proportion of BAME students. Most of the unis in London are culturally diverse, for example, and so are Manchester and Birmingham. This sort of information (as well as which unis have a higher proportion of state educated pupils) is all available on the internet with a small amount of digging.
Last edited by harrysbar; 3 months ago
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

If you don't like Bristol why not look at other RG universities? The university I attend is an RG and the majority of the people are white and middle class but they are definitely not stuck up. Have you considered Southhampton, Bath UCL, Kings, Nottingham? Or if you want to go further North, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester or even Edinburgh. Most of the non RG universities (Warwick, Lancaster etc) will still have middle class students. For many years universities were for the white middle class and very little has changed.

Only you can decide if you are willing to possibly sacrifice your career to go to an average university.
HoldThisL
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(private school students, white and rich. Nothing wrong with that but just not ALL of the students be like that)
this is wrong though and if you have a problem dealing with a social demographic too far from your own, you will struggle in life and in your career
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
A lawyer..

I was from a poor town up North and went to uni with a bunch of poshos. It really does not affect you. They are just people who happened to have gone on better holidays than you. Don't let this deter you.

You will be bored to inequity if you study at a CCC-tier uni. You will not be pushed by your peers or the shoddy academics who teach there. You should avoid.
MinaBee
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Just going to leave this here..
Last edited by MinaBee; 3 months ago
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 3 months ago
i don't know how you can tell the amount of 'diversity' or how much pressure there is on students just from a visit. i suspect you're learning this from hearsay/other sources?

imo go to the best uni you can. 3 years isn't a long time, goes by in a heartbeat. when they say law is competitive, they don't mean slightly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
10.53%
They might tell the bully (3)
15.79%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
15.79%
It might lead to more bullying (6)
31.58%
There's nothing they could do (5)
26.32%

Watched Threads

Latest