References for PGCE?! Watch

urblec
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey all,

I'm kind of struggling for references in my PGCE application. Left uni a long time ago and nobody remembers me there.

The work that I've done over the past few years is online, working with others based in Africa and Asia.

Would UCAS accept overseas employers as a reference? Would they have to have a phone call conversation, or is there just an online form that my ex-employer would have to fill out?

Thanks!
S27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't see why an overseas/online employer wouldn't count but I am not sure to be honest. I recall my referees had to fill out a form.

Have you reached out to former university staff? You'd be suprised how well they remembered people! I was in a similar position due to not doing a final year project in the traditional way. One of my intended referees couldn't remember me but offered to meet for coffee to talk about why I wanted to teach etc. In the end, I politely declined because I had a few others that too my suprise did remember me, but would this be something you would consider? A personal tutor or someone?

As some school experience is often needed for a PGCE, could you use someone you helped or observed?
urblec
Rep:
?
Thanks. But I don't have any experience. And university staff won't remember me because I wasn't in much (wasn't a very good student back then).

But if anyone can 100% assure me that online employers count, then we're good to go.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by urblec)
Thanks. But I don't have any experience. And university staff won't remember me because I wasn't in much (wasn't a very good student back then).

But if anyone can 100% assure me that online employers count, then we're good to go.
It's just an online form, so an overseas employer should be fine- but you are expected to use one academic referee as well. It doesn't matter if your uni don't really remember you, they can still confirm you attended your uni and talk about your work in relation to your degree. They won't give you a poor reference, so it would be better to use someone from uni if at all possible.
urblec
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It's just an online form, so an overseas employer should be fine
Thanks, sounds good.

but you are expected to use one academic referee as well.
That only applies if I was at uni during past 5 years. But it's been much longer than that. UCAS say: "If you’re still at university or got your degree within the past five years, one reference must be from someone at your university who can comment on your academic ability and potential. If you left university more than five years ago, you can choose two referees who know you from work."

So in short, if I get 2 online employer references, this hopefully shouldn't be a problem. Can anyone else please confirm this too? Thanks a lot.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by urblec)
Thanks, sounds good.

That only applies if I was at uni during past 5 years. But it's been much longer than that. UCAS say: "If you’re still at university or got your degree within the past five years, one reference must be from someone at your university who can comment on your academic ability and potential. If you left university more than five years ago, you can choose two referees who know you from work."

So in short, if I get 2 online employer references, this hopefully shouldn't be a problem. Can anyone else please confirm this too? Thanks a lot.
Are these employers who haven't met you in person? If that would be clear from your references, then this might be an issue for some unis.

Your best bet might be to contact some unis directly, explain who your referees would be, and ask the unis if they'd still be happy to consider your application.
urblec
Rep:
?
Are these employers who haven't met you in person? If that would be clear from your references, then this might be an issue for some unis.
Correct, haven't met me in person. But I'll just tell them not to mention that when filling out the reference form.
urblec
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Wondering... what address should be put for the reference if they've left their old company? Their new address, or their old companies address? thanks
urblec
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Anyone know please?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads