The Student Room Group

Retaking second year

Hi!
I’ve just finished second year and my results aren’t great, I had to miss most of first term because of seizures (they’ve sorted them now) and I had a severe mental health breakdown. My uni (Lancaster) has been so so supportive it’s unreal but I’ve barely managed to scrape a 2:2 and I want a 2:1 to go on to do a masters. It is advisable to redo my second year to better my grades?

Thank you!
Original post by ToriGeeson
Hi!
I’ve just finished second year and my results aren’t great, I had to miss most of first term because of seizures (they’ve sorted them now) and I had a severe mental health breakdown. My uni (Lancaster) has been so so supportive it’s unreal but I’ve barely managed to scrape a 2:2 and I want a 2:1 to go on to do a masters. It is advisable to redo my second year to better my grades?

Thank you!

What do you feel?
Have a look on how degree classes are calculated?
Talk to your tutor?
If you want to then put in an extenuating circumstances claim asap.
Degrees are with you for a lifetime, so if I were in that position I would look into it.
You can only do it if they say you can.
I had a similar situation in my second year at Bath: I was ill for a prolonged length of time in the first term. With my studies being severely affected, but me being very stubborn and determined to continue, it looked like I would probably pass the January exams, but with significantly lower marks than I was capable of (as indicated by my first-year results). Although the department was very supportive and did all they could to help me, it was very simple: if you have passed the exam - i.e. got at least 40% - then that is it. You cannot re-sit under any circumstances. The more appropriate route was to suspend studies for that year, and restart year 2 the following October.

Whilst I suspect your circumstances would have qualified for mitigating circumstances. However, in the world of universities, timeliness is key. Even with the best will in the world, if you submit your mitigating circumstances now - with results having been released (which means exam boards have met), I severely doubt you will get anywhere. For starters, the university will question why you didn't submit them previously - after all, in the eyes of the institution, you had plenty of opportunities to submit the mitigating circumstances: before exams; straight after each exam (I think you have to do a separate form for each exam in this case!) or even in the intervening weeks between exams and results being released.
Further, I suspect the uni will see the more appropriate course of action (that you should have taken) as suspending for the whole year (BEFORE taking any exams) and restarting afresh in October. (As in my case above).

Depending on how far off a 2:1 you are, you can still get the degree classification - through hard work: your 3rd year will count more towards your degree. Look through your course handbook or similar to find weightings etc.
Also, I would assume that your marks are way down on those of your first year? If so, it will be obvious that something happened. (Obviously, this would be helped if you apply to do your masters at the same uni (in the same department). So, if you work hard in year 3 and are prepared to give some explanation in your application, a masters degree is not completely beyond the realms of possibility.
BUT this requires you to take the right actions: if you feel like you won't succeed in the way that you want to because your conditions are still hampering you, then consider taking a leave of absence until you can succeed as you want. If you continue, and something else affects your studies, then you need to submit the paperwork for mitigating circumstances IMMEDIATELY! (Just telling a tutor is not enough!) This applies until the end of your course!

The best advice anyone can give is to go and talk to a tutor: your personal tutor; welfare tutor or director of studies. But do so sooner rather than later.

I'm sorry this post is so negative. I know it seems will read as if I am being harsh on you...I'm really not. University processes are confusing at the best of times - and worse when you are ill. I understand how you feel. But, at the same time, I don't want to give you false hope. So, I'm giving you my honest answer.

I hope you continue to get better, that you manage to get the degree classification you want and succeed in going forward to a masters course.
Reply 3
Thank you for answering! I missed the extenuating circumstances deadline because I went through my mental health decline. Uni were aware of it so are trying to work out what to do now. I can do resits but they’re capped at 40% and I’m aiming for a lot higher. I have an advisor that I have to check in with weekly (it’s unique for me because the uni knows I need extra support) and she’s trying to see if the cap can be lifted. I don’t have any friends in my year so a fresh start would probably do me good, my mental health is under control now so I feel in a better position to take on my studies again. It’s just a bit daunting to take the year on again!
Original post by 999tigger
What do you feel?
Have a look on how degree classes are calculated?
Talk to your tutor?
If you want to then put in an extenuating circumstances claim asap.
Degrees are with you for a lifetime, so if I were in that position I would look into it.
You can only do it if they say you can.
If you feel retaking the year is no problem, go for it.
Reply 5
Thank you for your reply!
The uni know about my circumstances because I keep them constantly updated with medical papers and doctors notes. My tutors recommend I put in for mitigating circumstances but after my last exam I went downhill again and ended up in hospital so I missed the deadline. I’d rather continue in 3rd year and work super hard but I’m a poor student so have to work 20+ hours a week on top of uni so I don’t think it’ll be possible without burning myself out. I have a personal tutor and she’s looking into if they can lift the cap on my resists so I wouldn’t have to resist the year but resitting is looking likely, starting the year again is just really daunting!
Original post by Ernie Lion
I had a similar situation in my second year at Bath: I was ill for a prolonged length of time in the first term. With my studies being severely affected, but me being very stubborn and determined to continue, it looked like I would probably pass the January exams, but with significantly lower marks than I was capable of (as indicated by my first-year results). Although the department was very supportive and did all they could to help me, it was very simple: if you have passed the exam - i.e. got at least 40% - then that is it. You cannot re-sit under any circumstances. The more appropriate route was to suspend studies for that year, and restart year 2 the following October.

Whilst I suspect your circumstances would have qualified for mitigating circumstances. However, in the world of universities, timeliness is key. Even with the best will in the world, if you submit your mitigating circumstances now - with results having been released (which means exam boards have met), I severely doubt you will get anywhere. For starters, the university will question why you didn't submit them previously - after all, in the eyes of the institution, you had plenty of opportunities to submit the mitigating circumstances: before exams; straight after each exam (I think you have to do a separate form for each exam in this case!) or even in the intervening weeks between exams and results being released.
Further, I suspect the uni will see the more appropriate course of action (that you should have taken) as suspending for the whole year (BEFORE taking any exams) and restarting afresh in October. (As in my case above).

Depending on how far off a 2:1 you are, you can still get the degree classification - through hard work: your 3rd year will count more towards your degree. Look through your course handbook or similar to find weightings etc.
Also, I would assume that your marks are way down on those of your first year? If so, it will be obvious that something happened. (Obviously, this would be helped if you apply to do your masters at the same uni (in the same department). So, if you work hard in year 3 and are prepared to give some explanation in your application, a masters degree is not completely beyond the realms of possibility.
BUT this requires you to take the right actions: if you feel like you won't succeed in the way that you want to because your conditions are still hampering you, then consider taking a leave of absence until you can succeed as you want. If you continue, and something else affects your studies, then you need to submit the paperwork for mitigating circumstances IMMEDIATELY! (Just telling a tutor is not enough!) This applies until the end of your course!

The best advice anyone can give is to go and talk to a tutor: your personal tutor; welfare tutor or director of studies. But do so sooner rather than later.

I'm sorry this post is so negative. I know it seems will read as if I am being harsh on you...I'm really not. University processes are confusing at the best of times - and worse when you are ill. I understand how you feel. But, at the same time, I don't want to give you false hope. So, I'm giving you my honest answer.

I hope you continue to get better, that you manage to get the degree classification you want and succeed in going forward to a masters course.
Original post by ToriGeeson
Thank you for answering! I missed the extenuating circumstances deadline because I went through my mental health decline. Uni were aware of it so are trying to work out what to do now. I can do resits but they’re capped at 40% and I’m aiming for a lot higher. I have an advisor that I have to check in with weekly (it’s unique for me because the uni knows I need extra support) and she’s trying to see if the cap can be lifted. I don’t have any friends in my year so a fresh start would probably do me good, my mental health is under control now so I feel in a better position to take on my studies again. It’s just a bit daunting to take the year on again!

Read the rules, they normally have discretion to ignore the deadline/How long ago did you sit the exams and get your results?

That bit highlighted above about not resitting under any circumstances is untrue, unis always have discretion to make allowances based on the situation. If yours were exceptional then they could do that.

What did you get for A levels and year 1?
Is your course unique?
Do you love the uni?
Would you be prepared to move?

If you havent got any friends, then maybe a complete fresh start might do you good? I wouldnt hesitate to retake the year if I felt it was correct.
The point is if you leave with a poor degree no one will care, except you. Losing a year is nothing, these things happen.

Tutor, read the rules or see student advisor or ask registry, there is normally some subsection on the bit highlighted above @#3 but I would expect there is a workaround, even if it means you leaving. The degree grade is what you pay for.

Sometimes you have to take a step back as the best path forward.
OK...i'm sorry to hear you've had struggles with mental health. The fact that you are there in the first place, have kept going and, want to press on, are all positives: keep hold of them. It's also really good that you've been able to keep the uni informed. Having an advisor is an added bonus - make use of them :-)
Also, look after yourself: you have enough insight (which is amazing) to know that pressing on is likely to burn you out - which will result in lower marks anyway (take it from one who knows!). So heed yourself!

I'm not going to lie, yes, restarting the whole year is daunting. Not least because, as freshers everyone turns up not knowing anybody - so you are all in the same boat; restarting, you're going into a year group who know each other: not easy. BUT, think about a lecture that you have been to...can you honestly say, that you know (or at least would recognise) everybody sat there? Further, this not knowing anybody will either last only a few minutes or as long as it takes to pluck up the courage to say hello to somebody! In my experience, the people who were bothered enough to notice my presence / say anything were all really friendly and couldn't care less about my circumstances. Also, you can still see anybody you know from your current year group in the down (sorry, personal-study) time between teaching sessions.
Academically, I'm assuming you at least have the notes from teaching sessions you were able to attend. This puts you at an advantage: while module content does change, and this isn't a reason to skip lectures, it does mean you can do some reading over the summer to get ahead. Also, the bits that you were there for, should be revision (ish). Trust me - on these bits of the course, you will end up being the guru to go to!

Retaking the year may not have been the plan and right now probably feels like a horrible idea. But, in the long run - who cares a degree takes to get? It is more important to get it in the first place, at a standard that you are happy with, than to stick to the 3-year timeframe - burning yourself out/making yourself ill and being disappointed with yourself.

Actually, you are being given an opportunity here. Grab it and make the most of it! Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending