The Student Room Group

EU or Home student ?

Hello,
I’m currently on a 3yr University degree course, a second year full time student in an English university and have been living in England for 5yrs now. The 2 previous years I qualified as an EU immigrant worker’s Spouse but divorced 03rd May 2019. I got my Indefinite leave to Remain on 28th June 2019..I’ve reapplied for student loan 2019/20 academic year twice in the past 3 months and my applications keep getting cancelled by SLC that I don’t qualify, I’ve sent in Divorce certificate. Last week I called SLC and was told I have a chance if I’m working and send in job contract and payslips as immigrant worker, however, my student account doesn’t have such provision of choosing if I’m UK,EU or immigrant worker applicant . Today I made another call and was told form PR1, you however have to choose if you’re English or EU full time or part time student to generate the form ..this is also confusing bse I have indefinite leave to remain but not British citizenship yet, I also think it’s funny applying as EU because I’m not an EU citizen, and after divorce I’m no longer an EU family member. What do I really have to do in this circumstance ?
I need to make an application that allows mantainence loan as I study full time and have a dependent 6yr old child who’s EU national.

Your kind replies will be highly appreciated.
Original post by Babra28
Hello,
I’m currently on a 3yr University degree course, a second year full time student in an English university and have been living in England for 5yrs now. The 2 previous years I qualified as an EU immigrant worker’s Spouse but divorced 03rd May 2019. I got my Indefinite leave to Remain on 28th June 2019..I’ve reapplied for student loan 2019/20 academic year twice in the past 3 months and my applications keep getting cancelled by SLC that I don’t qualify, I’ve sent in Divorce certificate. Last week I called SLC and was told I have a chance if I’m working and send in job contract and payslips as immigrant worker, however, my student account doesn’t have such provision of choosing if I’m UK,EU or immigrant worker applicant . Today I made another call and was told form PR1, you however have to choose if you’re English or EU full time or part time student to generate the form ..this is also confusing bse I have indefinite leave to remain but not British citizenship yet, I also think it’s funny applying as EU because I’m not an EU citizen, and after divorce I’m no longer an EU family member. What do I really have to do in this circumstance ?
I need to make an application that allows mantainence loan as I study full time and have a dependent 6yr old child who’s EU national.

Hi,

If you are not an EU national or family member of then you will be ineligible for finance. You would not be assessed as an EEA Migrant Worker as you're from outside of the EU.

You do have a valid status however, to be assessed as a home student you would be required to have a valid status on or before the first day of the first academic year of your course.

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 2
I honestly think that SLC should have such a provision for people in my category, I’m only remaining with one year to finish my 3yr degree course and now I can’t qualify for Student funding because of divorcing an abusive EU spouse? I have a valid indefinite leave to remain but only got it recently, if I’m unable to fund for myself this remaining year, and I drop out, that puts my chances of ever earning £25000 very low or none, meaning I would never be able to pay back the loan for the 2yrs I’ve used already.
How does student finance stand to gain from such a situation?
I’ve never if I decide to start on a new course to qualify for the 5yr residence on the first day of the course, I will have only 2yrs funding as I understand you find maximum 4yrs for undergraduate.
Last year when they accepted my application I was told no matter the situation I will get funding to finish my 3rd year as it’s mot my fault I had to divorce an abusive partner.
Original post by Babra28
I honestly think that SLC should have such a provision for people in my category, I’m only remaining with one year to finish my 3yr degree course and now I can’t qualify for Student funding because of divorcing an abusive EU spouse? I have a valid indefinite leave to remain but only got it recently, if I’m unable to fund for myself this remaining year, and I drop out, that puts my chances of ever earning £25000 very low or none, meaning I would never be able to pay back the loan for the 2yrs I’ve used already.
How does student finance stand to gain from such a situation?
I’ve never if I decide to start on a new course to qualify for the 5yr residence on the first day of the course, I will have only 2yrs funding as I understand you find maximum 4yrs for undergraduate.
Last year when they accepted my application I was told no matter the situation I will get funding to finish my 3rd year as it’s mot my fault I had to divorce an abusive partner.

Hi,

Apologies if you were advised we would continue your funding when you're no longer an EU family member. Divorcing your EU spouse means you loose your eligibility to apply as the spouse of a Migrant Worker.

We do not only provide 4 years of funding, that's incorrect. We have many exception courses and also do a specific calculation when students are starting a new course and have previous study. You also don't need 5 years residency, that's only for EU nationals applying as home students. Rest of World (ROW) nationals who have Indefinite Leave to Remain are required to have 3 years residency in the UK prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course to be eligible for full funding.

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 4
Thank you so much for the reply.

May I please ask what “valid status I ought to have had on first day of my course to be able to qualify as home student now?
Do you mean indefinite leave to remain or ?
I had lived here for 3.5yrs before the start of my first academic year and I held a UK residence Permit as an EU family member.
I now hold an indefinite leave to Remain as I’ve completed 5yrs.
I still hold a Kenyan Passport.
If I’m eligible, what Form I’m I supposed to send in? I will stick to your advice as every time I call SLC I get different views which gets confusing and frustrating.
Original post by SFE Chanel
Hi,

Apologies if you were advised we would continue your funding when you're no longer an EU family member. Divorcing your EU spouse means you loose your eligibility to apply as the spouse of a Migrant Worker.

We do not only provide 4 years of funding, that's incorrect. We have many exception courses and also do a specific calculation when students are starting a new course and have previous study. You also don't need 5 years residency, that's only for EU nationals applying as home students. Rest of World (ROW) nationals who have Indefinite Leave to Remain are required to have 3 years residency in the UK prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course to be eligible for full funding.

Thanks, Chanel
Original post by Babra28
Thank you so much for the reply.

May I please ask what “valid status I ought to have had on first day of my course to be able to qualify as home student now?
Do you mean indefinite leave to remain or ?
I had lived here for 3.5yrs before the start of my first academic year and I held a UK residence Permit as an EU family member.
I now hold an indefinite leave to Remain as I’ve completed 5yrs.
I still hold a Kenyan Passport.
If I’m eligible, what Form I’m I supposed to send in? I will stick to your advice as every time I call SLC I get different views which gets confusing and frustrating.

Hi,

Unfortunately you're not eligible as you only recently received Indefinite Leave to Remain. To apply as a home student you would have had to have that status prior to your course starting.

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 6
Hello,
After reading and interpreting my status letter from the home office, I now have reasons to believe I’m eligible for funding under EU. Indefinite leave means I’m assessed on my individual circumstances, also note that I got granted indefinite Leave to Remain in UK under EU Settlement scheme also know as Settled status! Meaning my rights are derived from EU immigration law until the end of grace period (December 2020).
In the letter it says I can continue to rely on EU rights , take on work , enrol to study or continue studying! Until the UK leaves EU completely in 2020 .

I lodged an apeal to SFE on 12 July I never got a response until I emailed again on 28th August to complain as i was supposed to get response within 20 working days.
I then got response on 28th August that they couldn’t reach a decision, I was then told they’ve requested for my immigration history from the Home Office, I have been waiting till this moment for a response ,
I have attached my status letter from Home office on here please read and give me your thoughts!
I have a deadline to enrol for my 3rd year by 1st October . I’ve been so stressed and depressed until I gave up and decided to go to GP, I’m currently on anti depressants.. this is not my fault😫
Original post by SFE Chanel
Hi,

Unfortunately you're not eligible as you only recently received Indefinite Leave to Remain. To apply as a home student you would have had to have that status prior to your course starting.

Thanks, Chanel
Original post by Babra28
Hello,

Original post by Babra28
Hello,
After reading and interpreting my status letter from the home office, I now have reasons to believe I’m eligible for funding under EU. Indefinite leave means I’m assessed on my individual circumstances, also note that I got granted indefinite Leave to Remain in UK under EU Settlement scheme also know as Settled status! Meaning my rights are derived from EU immigration law until the end of grace period (December 2020).
In the letter it says I can continue to rely on EU rights , take on work , enrol to study or continue studying! Until the UK leaves EU completely in 2020 .

I lodged an apeal to SFE on 12 July I never got a response until I emailed again on 28th August to complain as i was supposed to get response within 20 working days.
I then got response on 28th August that they couldn’t reach a decision, I was then told they’ve requested for my immigration history from the Home Office, I have been waiting till this moment for a response ,
I have attached my status letter from Home office on here please read and give me your thoughts!
I have a deadline to enrol for my 3rd year by 1st October . I’ve been so stressed and depressed until I gave up and decided to go to GP, I’m currently on anti depressants.. this is not my fault😫

Hi there,

The EU Settlement Scheme has not been integrated into our policy yet since the UK has not exited the EU still so your status under this scheme is not recognised just now and you will be assessed using current policy and rules. Since you have already lodged an appeal which is being dealt with then you will need to wait on a response from the Appeals Team.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 8
Update on the appeal!
After waiting for 3 months I finally heard from student finance (instead of 20 working days promised), they had initially said I won’t be qualifying for anything at all, but surprisingly from the appeal letter, the representative says “I’m contesting for student Finance’s decision to remove living costs” which is not true as I was contesting for removal of all funding...which means that I was already qualifying according to her but only for tuition fees? Yet no tuition fee has ever been paid/approved this year, I called to ask why, and I got informed told to make another application on form EUN downloaded from gov.uk website... however, On the website before you download the forms, you’re asked to enter details of whether you’re
1.English full time
2.English part time
3.EU full time
4.EU part time
5.Whether a continuing student or new student.
I chose EU student Full time and continuing and the system generated form EUPR1a form for me, I filled and sent it off which had been rejected that it’s an incorrect form.
I have tried again choosing different categories from above and I just realised I can only get EU19N form if I select EU student full time New student (but I’m not a new student) even the information is as though I’m just starting on a new course which is confusing . Even the instructions on the form says don’t fill if you’ve lived more than 5yrs at start of 19/20 academic year. If I fill this knowing it’s wrong, who is going to bear the consequences in the end when found out I applied in wrong category..?
I’m in my 3rd year and the hell ive been through with student finance is unbelievable, my anxiety has shoot to 100 in the last few days.☹️
Can you kindly advise on this please, thank you.
Hello,

As this is the first time you’ll be applying as a EU student then we’ll need you to reapply as a new student on the EU19N. This is so we can transfer your application across to the EU team; the section about 5 years residency is only for new students so please ignore it.

Thanks, Erin N.
Reply 10
Original post by SFE Erin N
Hello,

As this is the first time you’ll be applying as a EU student then we’ll need you to reapply as a new student on the EU19N. This is so we can transfer your application across to the EU team; the section about 5 years residency is only for new students so please ignore it.

Thanks, Erin N.

Thank you very much this makes sense why I need to reapply as new student rather than a continuing student.
However there’s questions like (1) Are you an EU national ? (2) Are you a family member of an EU national? I’m not an EU national and I’m nolonger an EU family member due to divorce earlier this year! Do I leave this space blank ? What do you advise I do?
Hello,

Could you confirm what nationality you are please?

Thanks, Erin N.
Reply 12
Original post by SFE Erin N
Hello,

Could you confirm what nationality you are please?

Thanks, Erin N.

I’m Ugandan, previously an EU family member but obtained an Indefinite leave to remain in June this year..after divorcing an EU family member.
Original post by Babra28
I’m Ugandan, previously an EU family member but obtained an Indefinite leave to remain in June this year..after divorcing an EU family member.

Hi there,

How many years have you lived in the UK for?

Thanks, Erin
Reply 14
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

How many years have you lived in the UK for?

Thanks, Erin

I have lived in England for 5yrs and 11 months. I came as an Eu family member and had a UK Residence Permit (5yrs) at start of my Course which I was to qualify for Permanent Residence on 10 Jan 2019 as I would have lived for 5yrs but because the government had just introduced Settled and unsettled status under EU settlement scheme I decided to apply through EU for settlement because I qualified either way. On 28th June 2019 I got granted Indefinite Leave to Remain /Settled status. I’m currently in my 3rd year at Uni.
Original post by Babra28
I have lived in England for 5yrs and 11 months. I came as an Eu family member and had a UK Residence Permit (5yrs) at start of my Course which I was to qualify for Permanent Residence on 10 Jan 2019 as I would have lived for 5yrs but because the government had just introduced Settled and unsettled status under EU settlement scheme I decided to apply through EU for settlement because I qualified either way. On 28th June 2019 I got granted Indefinite Leave to Remain /Settled status. I’m currently in my 3rd year at Uni.

Are you able to send us a private message or direct message on Facebook or Twitter? This will allow us to confirm exactly how you would complete the application form.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 16
Original post by Erin SFE
Are you able to send us a private message or direct message on Facebook or Twitter? This will allow us to confirm exactly how you would complete the application form.

Thanks, Erin

Ok I will do that. I hope I’m not going through the same process of explaining from start. Seems to me SFE system is rigid in away that people in my category don’t have where they belong , there’s no provision for previous EU family members who get settled status in the middle of studies. I have been on this since May 2019 and still haven’t been able to get anywhere. I think I’m cases like these Escalating the issue is the best thing to do to get solution.

Quick Reply

Latest