Triple science help Watch

Study6076
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi guys I was on TSR last year regarding this subject and I still haven't achieved what I've wanted .

So I'm in year 10 currently and I want to do triple science higher but I can't do this as I'm in set 2 and I do combined science so in my end of year exams I did pretty well I think because I got an average of a 7 of all of my science subjects put together which is higher than what most people in triple got 10 people got Us and there are people who don't want to do triple that want to swap with me and I'm committed to learn the triple content over the summer holidays however I don't know how to approach the teachers about this situation as I'm scared of being rejected
Examsareoversoon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well isn't the only way to get moved to triple to talk to your teacher? Just be polite and explain that you are willing to put in extra work over the holidays to make sure you are ready.
fish finger fan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Study6076)
Hi guys I was on TSR last year regarding this subject and I still haven't achieved what I've wanted .

So I'm in year 10 currently and I want to do triple science higher but I can't do this as I'm in set 2 and I do combined science so in my end of year exams I did pretty well I think because I got an average of a 7 of all of my science subjects put together which is higher than what most people in triple got 10 people got Us and there are people who don't want to do triple that want to swap with me and I'm committed to learn the triple content over the summer holidays however I don't know how to approach the teachers about this situation as I'm scared of being rejected
Well just ask them, what have you got to loose, you sound like your capable and a dedicated hard working student . Maybe ask your current teacher if you can do triple. If you get rejected, you get rejected if you don’t, then you don’t and you get to do triple. Hopefully this has been helpful.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by fish finger fan; 2 weeks ago
avacados1234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You have nothing to lose because even if your teachers says no, you gave it a shot. But if you don’t, then you never know whether your teacher would have let you swap or not.
Study6076
Rep:
?
Yes I have asked before but they have said no because too much content has been missed and this is my last chance and I dont want to get rejected as I feel nervous to ask them

(Original post by fish finger fan)
Well just ask them, what have you got to loose, you sound like your capable and a dedicated hard working student . Maybe ask your current teacher if you can do triple. If you get rejected, you get rejected if you don’t, then you don’t and you get to do triple. Hopefully this has been helpful.
Panicky student
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don’t be scared, be brave. Because this is what you truly want.
Plus you smart enough to do triple science since you’ve got 7,
So I would recommend just like the others to approach the teacher and kindly explain about having to do triple science.
Good luck
Panicky student
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just try again, and give a reasonable answer by saying that you would try your outmost hardest to catch up the missed content
Yes I have asked before but they have said no because too much content has been missed and this is my last chance and I dont want to get rejected as I feel nervous to ask them
Study6076
Rep:
?
But I dont want them to say no as there are girls in triple who I know I work harder than gut they are still in triple why? Because they cheat and do well in the mini exams we have and then they flop in the end of years so they keep them in triple .
(Original post by Panicky student)
Just try again, and give a reasonable answer by saying that you would try your outmost hardest to catch up the missed content
Examsareoversoon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But the only way for them to say yes is for you to ask.
But I dont want them to say no as there are girls in triple who I know I work harder than gut they are still in triple why? Because they cheat and do well in the mini exams we have and then they flop in the end of years so they keep them in triple .
Portiaelise159
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’ve just finished doing my exams and at this point I would say to stick with combined science. Year 11 is more stressful than you think and there is even more added pressure. Triple science is definitely a subject that needs to be started at the beginning of year 10 as the subject has more lessons weekly to cover. I would say stick with combined and revise extremely hard to get the best grade you can. I also did combined science for gcse and in doing Biology A-level.
Study6076
Rep:
?
Hi however I would really love to do triple as I think I am capable and I will learn all, the content over the summer holidays plus most the triple content starts in paper 2 which we have hardly started yet
(Original post by Portiaelise159)
I’ve just finished doing my exams and at this point I would say to stick with combined science. Year 11 is more stressful than you think and there is even more added pressure. Triple science is definitely a subject that needs to be started at the beginning of year 10 as the subject has more lessons weekly to cover. I would say stick with combined and revise extremely hard to get the best grade you can. I also did combined science for gcse and in doing Biology A-level.
Portiaelise159
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wanted to start triple at the end of year 10 and my teachers were extremely against it. The content is very detailed and even the students at my school struggled with it all and they started at the beginning of year 10. I think you should have a conversation with your teachers however being in the same position as you I would advise to stay with the combined science. I know with triple you get an extra grade. However with the extra pressure and stress you get in year 11 I would heavily advise you not to. You’ll have to keep going over the paper 1 content as well as learn paper 2 with will take a huge toll on your mental health. It’ll drain you. Year 11 takes a huge toll on everyone’s mental health whether they realise it or not. And knowing how much stress and pressure there is, it’s a lot of extra pressure you really don’t need. Two amazing grades from combined is better than three low grades because you couldn’t keep up with the work. (Obviously that’s a hypothetical situation) but it could happen.Then on your results day you could end up regretting it
Examsareoversoon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lots of people (myself included) managed triple with little difficulty, so just wanted to point out that not everyone struggles with it. If OP wants to do it enough and will put the work in, they might well get three awesome grades, which will better prepare them for studying A level sciences.
I wanted to start triple at the end of year 10 and my teachers were extremely against it. The content is very detailed and even the students at my school struggled with it all and they started at the beginning of year 10. I think you should have a conversation with your teachers however being in the same position as you I would advise to stay with the combined science. I know with triple you get an extra grade. However with the extra pressure and stress you get in year 11 I would heavily advise you not to. You’ll have to keep going over the paper 1 content as well as learn paper 2 with will take a huge toll on your mental health. It’ll drain you. Year 11 takes a huge toll on everyone’s mental health whether they realise it or not. And knowing how much stress and pressure there is, it’s a lot of extra pressure you really don’t need. Two amazing grades from combined is better than three low grades because you couldn’t keep up with the work. (Obviously that’s a hypothetical situation) but it could happen.Then on your results day you could end up regretting it
Study6076
Rep:
?
Thank you for your response and this is where I can relate and I feel exactly what you are saying
(Original post by Examsareoversoon)
Lots of people (myself included) managed triple with little difficulty, so just wanted to point out that not everyone struggles with it. If OP wants to do it enough and will put the work in, they might well get three awesome grades, which will better prepare them for studying A level sciences.
Portiaelise159
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I understand the determination and that everyone is different. However if the course could be covered in a year then it would be open to everyone. But it’s put as a two year course for a reason. And that is to be able to cover content and revise. And have triple science isn’t mandatory to do an A-level science. On the other hand, you did the course over the two year period. Which means that you’ve experience the two years. Not one year in doing the course. And I was put in that situation so this is why I’m saying it’s not just about effort.
Examsareoversoon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
At my school it isn't taught in two years, it is taught in one year. Everybody does double science up to the end of year 10, then only top set does triple science. So it is entirely possible to do it in less than one year, because some schools teach it this way. Plenty of people from my year got As/A*s in all three sciences. It isn't compulsory to do A level sciences, but without it you have to play catch up with people who have done triple before you even start your A levels.
I understand the determination and that everyone is different. However if the course could be covered in a year then it would be open to everyone. But it’s put as a two year course for a reason. And that is to be able to cover content and revise. And have triple science isn’t mandatory to do an A-level science. On the other hand, you did the course over the two year period. Which means that you’ve experience the two years. Not one year in doing the course. And I was put in that situation so this is why I’m saying it’s not just about effort.
Portiaelise159
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Examsareoversoon)
At my school it isn't taught in two years, it is taught in one year. Everybody does double science up to the end of year 10, then only top set does triple science. So it is entirely possible to do it in less than one year, because some schools teach it this way. Plenty of people from my year got As/A*s in all three sciences. It isn't compulsory to do A level sciences, but without it you have to play catch up with people who have done triple before you even start your A levels.
It could be a different exam board then. Even for A-level, they go over what you need to know. You’ll be taught it. So the content from both combined and triple will be fine going into A-level
Study6076
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi at our school I was taught the triple content for a year before I moved down a set also I have been going through the triple content throughout the year so I am familiar with it e.g. my friend gave me her mygcsescience login for triple and I have been watchin the videos and taking the quizzes also the head of science said to me if I get good grades at the end on year 10 then she would move me up a nd the triple class have only done one topic
of paper 2 so it's ok also the head of science said that they are more than happy to give all the triple resources to set 2 to learn over the holidays if we get higher than set 1s and btw our exam board is AQA.

It could be a different exam board then. Even for A-level, they go over what you need to know. You’ll be taught it. So the content from both combined and triple will be fine going into A-level
Last edited by Study6076; 1 week ago
Examsareoversoon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did AQA and our school teach triple content in a year. Well done, that's great news! Good luck with everything
Hi at our school I was taught the triple content for a year before I moved down a set also I have been going through the triple content throughout the year so I am familiar with it e.g. my friend gave me her mygcsescience login for triple and I have been watchin the videos and taking the quizzes also the head of science said to me if I get good grades at the end on year 10 then she would move me up a nd the triple class have only done one topic
of paper 2 so it's ok also the head of science said that they are more than happy to give all the triple resources to set 2 to learn over the holidays if we get higher than set 1s and btw our exam board is AQA.
CraigFowler
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am a science and maths intervention tutor at a school.

If you are scared of being rejected then tell your parents, get them on board to demand they put you down for triple.

Failing that you can also complain to governor's of the school.

Also you can always enter as a private candidate at a local exam centre for November resits.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate