Is it okay for schools and universities to run girls-only STEM courses? Watch

GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
There are a lot of courses being run for various STEM subjects that are only for girls, with the intention of encouraging more girls to study STEM subjects at university. This is often done because some girls may have been discouraged from going into science at a young age (either implicitly or explicitly) and may not be confident in their abilities in maths and science.

However, it could be argued that such schemes create the impression that girls need 'additional help' in order to get into STEM fields or make it seem as though girls are less able than boys in these subjects. A similar argument applies to maths and science competitions that are only for girls.

Is the best way of encouraging more girls to study science subjects to run girls-only camps or would it be better to find some alternate way to ensure equality of opportunity?
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think it's fair, but I'll take advantage of it anyway. i do understand why they do it though
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Leviathan1611; 1 week ago
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
However, it could be argued that such schemes create the impression that girls need 'additional help' in order to get into STEM fields or make it seem as though girls are less able than boys in these subjects
That is a view that lots of women (and male minorities) actually hold when it comes to diversity programs in the corporate world.
TheFarmerLad
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I mean, I'm not totally against the idea, but it's kinda lame
watershower
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t think it helps for university courses or camps separate men and women. For one, it defeats the whole purpose of ‘women are the same as men’. If they are, why are they separated? Let women show their worth!
Also, in the real world they will need to adjust to working with men - the field is still dominated by men and doing a course with females only for say a year and then going into say an internship, you could easily be put off. I think it’s best to just let women and men mix naturally in higher education.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Basically this
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
I don't think it's fair, but I'll take advantage of it anyway. i do understand why they do it though
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, it is not ok.
It is one thing for teachers encourage all young people to aspire to high academic standards or career ambitions and to consider careers in stem.
But this "girls only" approach embraces gender separation and flies in the face of both meritocracy & equal opportunities available to all students.
GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
No, it is not ok.
It is one thing for teachers encourage all young people to aspire to high academic standards or career ambitions and to consider careers in stem.
But this "girls only" approach embraces gender separation and flies in the face of both meritocracy & equal opportunities available to all students.
Do you think it's particularly important to try and push gender ratios towards 50-50 or just to try and make sure there aren't any gender related barriers preventing young people from going into what field they want?
Lkathryn08
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t really like it. As a girl in stem, I find it kind of patronising, do they have to make stem ‘girly’ to get people to do it. Like many have said if you want to prove that women and do stem subjects just like men, then let them do it without the condescending ‘even you girls can do it too, we’ll put on special classes just so you can understand it’.

I can get behind the extra advertisement and campaigns to promote women in stem but I think having girl-only classes is a step too far and As I said kind of patronising.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.77%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.47%
No I am happy with my course choice (454)
58.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.88%

Watched Threads