Not been given school for teacher training Watch

HouseofMarvels
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a conditional offer to study teacher training a one year course based in a school. I have done a first degree and worked for four years. The conditions were passing my maths and English tests and DBS criminal check which I have done. I was supposed to find out my placement school before May half term but the provider said they were having problems. I had an induction session last week and they said they still hadn’t found anything. They said oh where do you live, I told them. They said we could look for a placement in x city. A place right next to where I live the first place you would think of. So it sounded like they had not started looking. Schools start breaking up in around a week. I send them an email five days ago and today which they have ignored. I rang ucas who said they are legally required to find a place and just not replying is not really a reasonable think to do if they cannot find a place. What are my options?
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HouseofMarvels)
I have a conditional offer to study teacher training a one year course based in a school. I have done a first degree and worked for four years. The conditions were passing my maths and English tests and DBS criminal check which I have done. I was supposed to find out my placement school before May half term but the provider said they were having problems. I had an induction session last week and they said they still hadn’t found anything. They said oh where do you live, I told them. They said we could look for a placement in x city. A place right next to where I live the first place you would think of. So it sounded like they had not started looking. Schools start breaking up in around a week. I send them an email five days ago and today which they have ignored. I rang ucas who said they are legally required to find a place and just not replying is not really a reasonable think to do if they cannot find a place. What are my options?
When is your course due to start?

It's fairly common on courses with placements for providers to have some issues and not be organised until the last minute. It's possible that they took on more students than they should have, or that placements are no longer able to host students - this happens fairly often.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi

I've moved this to our teacher training forum, where hopefully you'll be able to get more replies from people who've got experience with different programs.

Can I ask what type of teacher training program this is? E.G. SCITT, PGCE etc?

May is pretty early for schools to confirm placements- schools may not be 100% sure of their staff for September at that point and may not be sure of their ability to accommodate a student teacher. On my PGCE, I know placements were often finalised at the very last minute.

It is stressful, but I am sure they will find you something!
HouseofMarvels
Rep:
?
My course starts in September. Thanks for your reply, I needed a bit of reassurance that I'm not alone! Do you know if it is common for things to fall though completely? Should I start looking for jobs or calling universities do you think? I'm wondering if I need a contingency plan as to what to do if they tell me that I no longer am going to be doing teacher training.
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
When is your course due to start?

It's fairly common on courses with placements for providers to have some issues and not be organised until the last minute. It's possible that they took on more students than they should have, or that placements are no longer able to host students - this happens fairly often.
HouseofMarvels
Rep:
?
Its ITT with a PGCE. I'll be in a school from the start of September. Do you know if its common for students not to find out until September? Part of the problem I have is that me and my long distance boyfriend want to move in together. I can't get a tenancy until I hear and also I am going to have to redo my student finance. So I'm panicking a bit because if they can not tell me before the summer holidays and can only tell me when the schools go back (for example) I would be trying to move house, redo student finance and start the course. My boyfriend's living situation is very bad so we may have to look into subletting over the summer. My life is on hold, and his life is on hold
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hi

I've moved this to our teacher training forum, where hopefully you'll be able to get more replies from people who've got experience with different programs.

Can I ask what type of teacher training program this is? E.G. SCITT, PGCE etc?

May is pretty early for schools to confirm placements- schools may not be 100% sure of their staff for September at that point and may not be sure of their ability to accommodate a student teacher. On my PGCE, I know placements were often finalised at the very last minute.

It is stressful, but I am sure they will find you something!
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its ITT with a PGCE. I'll be in a school from the start of September. Do you know if its common for students not to find out until September? Part of the problem I have is that me and my long distance boyfriend want to move in together. I can't get a tenancy until I hear and also I am going to have to redo my student finance. So I'm panicking a bit because if they can not tell me before the summer holidays and can only tell me when the schools go back (for example) I would be trying to move house, redo student finance and start the course. My boyfriend's living situation is very bad so we may have to look into subletting over the summer. My life is on hold, and his life is on hold
I know on my PGCE course, which was uni based, they were still finalising placements days before we started. I would hope to get more notice if you're going to have one "home school" all year, but that may not be possible.

Can I ask why you're going to have to redo your student finance? As long as you have the main provider down, it should be fine.

I'd suggest contacting your provider and asking when they hope to be able to let you know- this should help you make plans.

In terms of moving, I'd suggest moving to a central location for your region, and just accepting that you'll have a long-ish commute for this year. Unfortunately, this is really common on ITT courses, due to the reducing numbers of schools available to take students.

ETA: I know this sucks, but I'm sure you will get a place, it's just unfortunately likely that you won't get much notice. I think the provider has made a mistake here by suggesting you'd know by May.
Last edited by SarcAndSpark; 1 week ago
HouseofMarvels
Rep:
?
As for the student finance, apparently if you are over 25 you have to tell them if you go from living with parents to living with a partner? I will just have to wait I suppose but I might look at other jobs just in case it falls through.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As for the student finance, apparently if you are over 25 you have to tell them if you go from living with parents to living with a partner? I will just have to wait I suppose but I might look at other jobs just in case it falls through.
If you are over 25, you are treated as independent from your parents, but if you live with a partner, I believe their income is taken into account as part of you "household income".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (153)
17.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.74%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
58.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (124)
14.45%

Watched Threads