The Student Room Group

Transferring from University of Law to Reading Uni?

(edited 3 years ago)
Why are you wanting to leave ULaw, in particular? Do you not think it has the academic rigour you're after.

You will be allowed to transfer; just if you will be allowed to start from year 2 or be forced to start from year 1. Email the uni to find out.
Original post by rosalieee
Not that it doesn't have the "academic rigour" but law is competitive and if I want to work at well-known, reputable firm then I assume that attending a university higher on the league tables would be beneficial overall. Thoughts?

No employer is going to care that you went to ULaw rather than Reading. The latter does not have a particularly good name for law, anyway.
D'you think it would be better to stick with my current university and then do a masters at a Russel group university?

What sort of job are you hoping to do?
A prosecutor or maybe a corporate lawyer.

Have you done any research into the career paths for those careers? A Masters degree at a Russell Group university isn’t common.
Reply 5
I can apply with my results from my first year at university? Sorry, I don't know much about the entire university process in the U.K. because my parents never attended university and their knowledge is very limited and my sixth form wasn't exactly the most helpful.
Reply 6
Not much yet. I figure its still early. I've only just finished my first year of university and been thinking of doing something like a masters in Law and Finance after. I feel like this is a little far into the future and so I have only lightly researched it.
Original post by PQ
Have you done any research into the career paths for those careers? A Masters degree at a Russell Group university isn’t common.
Not much yet. I figure its still early. I've only just finished my first year of university and been thinking of doing something like a masters in Law and Finance after. I feel like this is a little far into the future and so I have only lightly researched it.

So you have completed first year at ULaw? And you’re hoping to transfer into year 2 this September?

I think you need to visit the ULaw careers service and talk to them about your plans. They should be able to help you understand your options and the best path.
Reply 8
Would it be better if I contacted the university first before applying?
I can apply with my results from my first year at university? Sorry, I don't know much about the entire university process in the U.K. because my parents never attended university and their knowledge is very limited and my sixth form wasn't exactly the most helpful.

You dont seem to understand the legal industry well (just basing this off your comments prosecutor & corporate, and masters) yes what Uni you go to for law is important but is Reading that well regarded anyway? I would have thought it was fairly average maybe look to transfer to more 'prestigous' programs if thats what you want.

Also a masters wouldn't really help (i dont think), the LPC or a select chambers is the path for most top legal grads.
Reply 10
Thank you so much for your help. :smile:
Would it be better if I contacted the university first before applying?

yes, this is basically essential. Gives you a much better chance and builds a better rapport with the department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending