easllie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently in year 12 and doing A-levels in biology, chemistry and maths. I don't think I want to carry on these subjects in uni but I'm unsure of how to choose a course, especially since I have no experience with other subjects.

How do I choose a degree and how do I make sure that I'll enjoy it?
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by easllie)
I'm currently in year 12 and doing A-levels in biology, chemistry and maths. I don't think I want to carry on these subjects in uni but I'm unsure of how to choose a course, especially since I have no experience with other subjects.

Primarily, you need to study something you’re interested in - what books do you read, podcasts you listen to etc? Equally, what careers are you interested in? That may help you decide what degree to do. Have a search around some university websites and look at the courses available - there’s a huge range, with multiple subjects you can combine.

Remember, you don’t have to go to uni, and there’s no shame in waiting a year or two (or more!) in order to work out what you want to study.
easllie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Well I don't listen to podcasts or read books because I spend most my time listening to music an watching Netflix so I'm not really sure what academic things I'd be interested in. And I haven't really looked into careers as I see uni as the first step which is more general.

I've thought about a gap year but just because I really have no idea what I'd apply for
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
Primarily, you need to study something you’re interested in - what books do you read, podcasts you listen to etc? Equally, what careers are you interested in? That may help you decide what degree to do. Have a search around some university websites and look at the courses available - there’s a huge range, with multiple subjects you can combine.

Remember, you don’t have to go to uni, and there’s no shame in waiting a year or two (or more!) in order to work out what you want to study.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I don't listen to podcasts or read books because I spend most my time listening to music an watching Netflix so I'm not really sure what academic things I'd be interested in. And I haven't really looked into careers as I see uni as the first step which is more general.

I've thought about a gap year but just because I really have no idea what I'd apply for
Sometimes it can be helpful to look at careers now just to get an idea of whether a certain degree would improve your chances or open up doors for that career.

With your subjects, you have a vast array of subjects open to you, including medicine if that interested you, or other science subjects such as natural sciences or biochemistry, or perhaps even computer science (sciences aren’t my area of knowledge) - ultimately there are a wide range of subjects which would really suit your A levels. Equally, the social sciences route would likely be open to you (psychology, sociology, etc) - just check on any requirements for an essay subject.

But it’s good that you’re considering a gap year as it can be a great way to help you decide what you want to study at uni (if you do decide to go at all), as well as a great opportunity for you to develop personally, widen your skill set and experiences
iwishicouldfly14
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Maybe see if you can go to a taster course?

If you don't know what you want to do, then don't feel pressured to apply to uni this year. You can always get a job or take a gap year or doing an apprenticeship instead of going to uni for the sake of going to uni and it certainly doesn't stop you from going to university in the future once you've decided what you would like to study.

Maybe also consider applying for a foundation year? They often cover a vast range of subjects and would potentially give you a better idea of what you wanted to study before you apply to a 3 or 4 year degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads