Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, ok i know there are already a couple threads on this exam already but i was getting confused with other people talking about the philosophy part to it.
    so heres a thread just for the people doing the ethics part to this exam!
    ...LET LOOOOOSE!' throw all ur ideas onto here and maybe we can all learn sumthing new!
    XNX

ReputationRep:
    Wooop!

I hope Jamieson or Lafollette come up. The other one just sucks for arguments, but it's fine with the q2. Everyone agree/disagree?

ReputationRep:
    yeh, i also hope that its the personal relationships paper!
    the part about lafollette's own opinion would be good because there would be a lot to say about why he came to this conclusion.

urm what was lafollette's view again, that morality and personal relationships are mutually supportive? (i remembered as i typed, i really have no idea)

i have loads of thing to say for the agree as well like the feral children example is great, it illustrated just how personal relationships are vital for communication and morality to develop.

how would you all feel if it was one of the other two papers? i really need to start revising implications lol, cant even remember the names of them!

ReputationRep:
    well my ethics teacher told me that hes 99.9% sure that the scheewind one will not come up..apparently it was hinted to him very strongly at sum teachers conference thing.
    so it looks like just jamieson nd lafollete..i havnt read them in a while cos ive had other exams..just started again now.
    jamieson nd his dominant conception, foundationalism, nd coherantism etc...im liking it soo far.
    i fink i vaguely rememba the lafolletee one on personal realtionships.
    grr i gta go work now..HATE SAINSBURY'S lol...will b on tomoz tho, hopefully there will b loadsa revision notes 4 me to look at frm here! lol

ReputationRep:
    oh nooo i hate that one on dominant conception, and i got confused lol wen HarleyQuinn said jamieson i thought james rachels....oops lol

my teacher went to one of them conference things, probably the same one, but shes not nice enough to tell us any hints, i seriously think she wants us to kill ourselves with revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopykitten!)
    my teacher went to one of them conference things, probably the same one, but shes not nice enough to tell us any hints, i seriously think she wants us to kill ourselves with revision.
    Because: -

a. It's unethical (oh, how apt!).
    b. There are no guarentees
    c. You really should revise everything (as best you can)

Sorry to break the bad news to you kiddies but it's true. It's no good studying a subject just to pick and choose. You need a soild grounding in all areas, especially when it comes to the synoptic.

ReputationRep:
    ^Truth.

I love the synoptic. I hope I don't kill my hand though, I have law right before it.

ReputationRep:
    We literally haven't even looked at the Scheewind one, or whatever it is. My teacher said she was told that that basically would not come up.
    I hope La Follette comes up. Jamieson is a bit harder, and harder to think of implications.

Does anyone else find it reeeeallly hard to 'clarify' what they are saying without just writing what they're saying? I find it so hard to 'go further' in explaining what they mean.

Does anyone have any idea out of 24, and 16 what the grade boundaries are? Or do we not even have a clue?

I hate being a guinea pig.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of like it, i mean in the end u can blag it to an extent, as weve done so much over two years, deontology, telelogical arguments, philosophers and their thoughts, its all about applying what they say in there to what we know, and also the dominent conception thing is actually relativly simple, its the main belief held by a certain theory which is good as they differ, kants deontology holds that duty is the dominent conception while benthanms utilitariunism holds that the greatest pleasure is dominent, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    dont wana get anyoness hopes too high but went to the r.s conference a month ago and the way the examiners were talkin about lafolette really reassured us that its cumin up my advice read it then re read it agen, brainstorm it and then think of the 'wider implication's-how far would you agree with what is being said and what are the affects of applying such ideas to modern day society (they love recent examples bring in big bro, issues in the news, i used the case of Shannon Matthews alot, to agree with LaFollettes argument in the sense that it is to some extrent true that we are partial to our intimates as when Shannon's mother did what she did society all over was shocked more so because she did it to an intimate!!)

ReputationRep:
    yeah i was going to bring in the madelin mccan story nd the steven laurence murder to talk about the whole partiality and impartiality aspect to personal relationships.
    im feeling a little bit more confident about this exam now!, its such a wide scope to incorporate everything youve learnt in the last 2 years.
    for A), im gonna explain wot the main argument is in the first paragraph, then for the rest im just gonna go through all the points made in the rest of the text one by one (or as many as i can fit in) and link it in someway to other topics weve done.
    in B) i plan to go through all the disadvantages to the points ive made in part A) nd sumhow link nd question it to the effects it may have with religious people, atheists nd other groups i can think of at the time.
    do u guys reckon this is the right way to answer it?
    XNX

ReputationRep:
    well really and truly if u look at all 3 essays the argument does change throughout so u cud write out the perfect answer for part a) lern if off and then ur half way there in the exam

ReputationRep:
    My teacher emailed the exam board person and she (unofficially) told us it was definately going to be LaFollette. And don't see why she would lie coz this is the first year isn't it so they're gonna want good marks to show it was the right move!

Anyone any idea what LaFollette is bangin' on about? Lol x

ReputationRep:
    So irritated that it's going to be LaFollette. It's just a matter of discussing a single moral issue (and one which, in my opinion, is rather frivolous). From the example answer I saw, we're not even expected to link it with other material from the course. How is this exam in any way synoptic?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know! I really don't get what they're expecting us to write for an hour and 15 minutes!

ReputationRep:
    lafollette is all about personal relationships rite?...i like that one
    im scared of 'choosing' wot to revise im just gna read nd annotate all of them. 'choosing' what to revise COMPLETELY backfired on me for the developments part of the exam, i KNOW i got an E in that..hence y i gta do good in synoptic to average out my grade :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chlobo)
    I don't know! I really don't get what they're expecting us to write for an hour and 15 minutes!
    Oh, I think a lengthy discussion of the personal relationships issue is doable (LaFollette manages it...), but the whole thing just seems so pointless. We all know basically what the question will be already. We've seen an example A grade essay on the same article (or at least a good number of us have). Everyone is going to be writing the same thing.

Grrr...

ReputationRep:
    I hope it's the first 4 paragraphs of LaFollette. It's part b that i struggle with xXx

ReputationRep:
    EMERGENCY!!!!DOES ANYONE HAS A COPY OF THE JAMIESON essay example done by sarah tyler it was both a part a and b sample ur teachers may have given a print does can anyone SCAN IT AND SEND IT I hav no other resources to revise that essay i cant find my copy anywhere

ReputationRep:
    does anyone understand what the 19th paragraph in LaFollete is saying? The paragraph underneath ii The interplay of morality and personal relationships.
    It's really confusing me!! please help xxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 3, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.