The Student Room Group

Archeology Cambridge

I have bad GCSEs and have been out of education for over 5 years due to becoming a carer. I am starting a access HE humanities course in September and doing a online AS biology qualification along with it.

I want to study archeology at Cambridge and think my Access course results will reflect my ability.I am a very positive person but I think I won’t even get an interview.

Is there anyone that can give me advice or am I wasting my time applying?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Arcfan98
I have bad GCSEs and have been out of education for over 5 years due to becoming a carer. I am starting a access HE humanities course in September and doing a online AS biology qualification along with it.I want to study archeology at Cambridge and think my Access course results will reflect my ability.I am a very positive person but I think I won’t even get an interview.Is there anyone that can give me advice or am I wasting my time applying?

Do Cambridge say anything about rejecting applications from candidates for archaeology who only have Access qualifications? What chance do you have if you don't apply?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Do Cambridge say anything about rejecting applications from candidates for archaeology who only have Access qualifications? What chance do you have if you don't apply?

Thanks for the reply

They say they accept people with access qualifications.

They say you don’t need GCSEs but they take them into consideration so I think I won’t stand a chance
Cambridge bend over backwards to consider all aspects of an application. I have also seen their admission tutors state on here repeatedly how they value progression.

I would also point out that a) you have 5 choices, and b) the aim is not to get all 5 offers with no rejections, but to get 2-3 offers you are happy with.

I therefore ask again, quite kindly, what chance have you got if you don't apply?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Cambridge bend over backwards to consider all aspects of an application. I have also seen their admission tutors state on here repeatedly how they value progression.

I would also point out that a) you have 5 choices, and b) the aim is not to get all 5 offers with no rejections, but to get 2-3 offers you are happy with.

I therefore ask again, quite kindly, what chance have you got if you don't apply?

Thanks for the advice😁
I would have thought it quite likely they'll more or less ignore your GCSE grades if they were taken 5 years ago (so long as you have the basic passes you need). Make sure your Acess tutors know you're applying to cambs, so you get a decent reference.

Cambridge interview the majority of applicants (something like 75%?) as they don't have pre-interview exams for the most part. They do these at interview instead though so make sure you prepare for those. Looks like they have specimen papers on the course website.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending