How to prepare myself for college? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm 17 and started college in September 2018, studying A Level English Literature, History and Level 3 Health and Social Care. I've been struggling with depression, anxiety and self-harm for around five years and have been in hospital twice, now currently in therapy and on meds. I quit college in April because I couldn't handle it at all and was crying every day whilst there, having panic attacks in the toilets and I found it incredibly difficult to do any work, concentrate and even get myself into college most days.
Since then, I've been doing freelance transcription work to earn a little bit of money here and there.

I have been accepted to study a pre-degree nursing course (level 3 health and social care) in a new college and will do one day a week placement. I'm terrified to start afresh in a college where I will know no one and I am afraid of my anxiety continuing to create barriers. I am still struggling with all of the aforementioned issues, and I'm really worried that I won't be able to cope in college again. I want to be a nurse but I don't know if I can even handle anything.

Does anyone have any advice on how best to prepare myself to start college again after a long break, or to deal with bad anxiety whilst on placement etc??
Any advice is appreciated Thanks.
KhalaMan2000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why were you depressed? Why did you cry?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
iI've been depressed for a while and this made college really difficult for me to deal with. I cried in college because of how stressed and anxious I was getting. I ended up hating my subjects and got too nervous to walk into class.
(Original post by KhalaMan2000)
Why were you depressed? Why did you cry?
iwishicouldfly14
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm 17 and started college in September 2018, studying A Level English Literature, History and Level 3 Health and Social Care. I've been struggling with depression, anxiety and self-harm for around five years and have been in hospital twice, now currently in therapy and on meds. I quit college in April because I couldn't handle it at all and was crying every day whilst there, having panic attacks in the toilets and I found it incredibly difficult to do any work, concentrate and even get myself into college most days.
Since then, I've been doing freelance transcription work to earn a little bit of money here and there.

I have been accepted to study a pre-degree nursing course (level 3 health and social care) in a new college and will do one day a week placement. I'm terrified to start afresh in a college where I will know no one and I am afraid of my anxiety continuing to create barriers. I am still struggling with all of the aforementioned issues, and I'm really worried that I won't be able to cope in college again. I want to be a nurse but I don't know if I can even handle anything.

Does anyone have any advice on how best to prepare myself to start college again after a long break, or to deal with bad anxiety whilst on placement etc??
Any advice is appreciated Thanks.
Make sure your college knows - One of my closest friends has been in and out of hospital multiple times this year because of her mental health. She's been fairly behind with coursework, but because her tutors knew, they gave her extended deadlines and even though her attendance was pretty poor, she's definitely got a place for the second year because she kept on trying.

I started a new college this year after taking a year out due to being hospitalised (as did this friend - different college) for a few months when my anxiety got really bad. We both went into our courses not knowing anyone, and we both made friends. Not making friends is the worst case scenario - chances are it isn't going to happen. I know that doesn't help in the slightest, but just know that from personal experience, it is so so unlikely.

If you struggle with a placement, let one of your tutors know. If you start feeling really bad ask to take 5 and maybe try a breathing/relaxation exercise. Also being at a placement might distract you and take your mind off things.
If you're having a bad day, tell your placement you aren't feeling well and ask to reschedule.
But try. Try everything no matter how anxious it makes you feel. The first time will be difficult. As will the second. But over time it will all get easier.

And if it doesn't work out this year, it isn't the end of the world - There's always next year to try again.
江山此刻波澜壮阔
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I`m sorry to hear that.
Are you boy or girl?
Do you have suicide thought?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (151)
17.79%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.83%
No I am happy with my course choice (502)
59.13%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.25%

Watched Threads