Masters in London Watch

Weronika98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi! I’m going into my 3rd year of Biomedicine this September and I’m hoping to apply for a masters in London. I’m a little worried about costs of living and studying. I was wondering what you guys have done that helped you survive? Does the university help? Have you got any good scholarship websites?

Thanks
lastlullabyy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Weronika98)
Hi! I’m going into my 3rd year of Biomedicine this September and I’m hoping to apply for a masters in London. I’m a little worried about costs of living and studying. I was wondering what you guys have done that helped you survive? Does the university help? Have you got any good scholarship websites?

Thanks
Hi! I’ve done Biomedicine and then Masters - well, not in London (Glasgow) but I had to work during it.
Are you eligible for the government postgrad loan? Are you looking at any universities in particular? If so, do they offer scholarships? Do you want to do MRes or MSc? Could you consider 2 years part-time Masters to have more time to work?

My Masters tuition fees were fully funded (I had “Highly Skilled Workforce” scholarship from Scottish Funding Council) but I wasn’t eligible for any help with living costs. So I worked 30-40 hours per week and did full-time Masters (didn’t have that many contact hours though). I was used to that I’ve worked 20-30h all the way through my 2nd and 3rd year of Biomed (with A LOT more contact hours!).

What is it that drives you to London? Is it a specific programme? I’d personally never really consider moving to London due to living costs - especially rent! But that’s me, so definitely biased
stabilo20619
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I completed my Bsc outside of London and did a Msc in London.

Best advice is to apply early as my Msc had scholarships available but the deadline was late winter/early spring. Also if you're struggling financially then consider sharing a room or living on the outskirts of London and commuting in. You might want to consider private halls providers and if you apply early you'll often get a cheaper price than applying later in the year. Unis often have special deals with these providers and you'll might get £10-30/week cheaper rent than normal prices.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads