Oh Please help ! What is causing a thud when the engine has been turned off ? Watch

Cleverboy1991
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Please help !
Issue occurred 14 months ago approximately.

I had a clutch and flywheel replaced last year on my Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI 120 bhp, all brand new LUK parts.
A few weeks later a mechanic was looking for a noise for me, he put a pry bar through the driver side wheel area checking for play.

That exact moment onward when I turn off the engine there is a thud/clunk. It is worse the longer the engine has been running for, it doesn't happen after an overnight park when I start it in the morning, only after a drive.
It was an intermittent fault, sometimes it would disappear for weeks then come back, now it is constant.

the thud has been loosening parts , pulleys on the alternator began rattling and then burnt out, now something else is rattling and I worry more parts will become loose.
It is a very violent unpleasant thud when the engine is switched off

I had a few garages have it on the ramps, they found no cause what it could be, the mounts are ok they said.

any ideas much appreciated. thanks
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Cleverboy1991)
Please help !
Issue occurred 14 months ago approximately.

I had a clutch and flywheel replaced last year on my Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI 120 bhp, all brand new LUK parts.
A few weeks later a mechanic was looking for a noise for me, he put a pry bar through the driver side wheel area checking for play.

That exact moment onward when I turn off the engine there is a thud/clunk. It is worse the longer the engine has been running for, it doesn't happen after an overnight park when I start it in the morning, only after a drive.
It was an intermittent fault, sometimes it would disappear for weeks then come back, now it is constant.

the thud has been loosening parts , pulleys on the alternator began rattling and then burnt out, now something else is rattling and I worry more parts will become loose.
It is a very violent unpleasant thud when the engine is switched off

I had a few garages have it on the ramps, they found no cause what it could be, the mounts are ok they said.

any ideas much appreciated. thanks
This doesn't check out - does the sound not occur when they try it?
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you had the garages look at the throttle body? Just a wild guess but it might be a sticky anti-shudder valve seeing as it's a rather intermittent problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads