The Student Room Group

what should i do to become a neurosurgeon ,

I am not sure what steps i should take that will definitely help achieve my dream. Please help. I am doing my GCSEs next year and have taken the separate award sciences. For A-Levels i want to take math, biology and chemistry. Am i on the right track? What do i do next? Which universities are the best for me? Some answers would be really appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
I love biology and it always finds a way to amaze me. Thanks for your advice!
Reply 2
I like to learn about the body and isn't a biologist more animal and bacteria organism based?
You need a good record of clinical or GP based work experience, a competitive personal statement describing your passion for medicine (saying I love biology won’t cut it), good interview skills, pass the UKCAT with a good score, and then pass your degree before even thinking about becoming a neurosurgeon.
Original post by suditi_123
I am not sure what steps i should take that will definitely help achieve my dream. Please help. I am doing my GCSEs next year and have taken the separate award sciences. For A-Levels i want to take math, biology and chemistry. Am i on the right track? What do i do next? Which universities are the best for me? Some answers would be really appreciated. Thanks
I love biology and it always finds a way to amaze me. Thanks for your advice!

So definitely not a reason to be a neurosurgeon then. Neurosurgeons have a habit of doing surgery, rather than studying biology.
He want that dank cerebral cash
Reply 6
That's very true. I guess because i'm still quite young i don't have a lot of knowledge about different degrees. I just know i want to go into medical.
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice!
Original post by Fermion.
You need a good record of clinical or GP based work experience, a competitive personal statement describing your passion for medicine (saying I love biology won’t cut it), good interview skills, pass the UKCAT with a good score, and then pass your degree before even thinking about becoming a neurosurgeon.
You need to do work experience and some research before deciding if medicine is for you. Medicine isn’t all about learning the body.

Other medical related degrees include Radiography, pharmacy, optometry, audiology, nursing/midwifery, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and many more that I probably can’t think off the top of my head. They are all respectable medical related courses and are good backup options should you decide medicine isn’t for you. Food for thought.
That's very true. I guess because i'm still quite young i don't have a lot of knowledge about different degrees. I just know i want to go into medical.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
it interests me more than anything else academically.
Perhaps we shouldn't question the OP. He/She seems quite young, being a Year 10 students and maybe the reasons to pursue medicine will become more apparent as they grow and learn. Some people are just born with the passion and determination, and sometimes are unable to express it in words. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending