The Student Room Group

how will I be able to afford going to university?

I have just finished year 11 and have just had an incredibly unsettling conversation with my parents. I am quite a high achiever and have always wanted to attend university, I have often been pushed towards Oxbridge and would definitely want to consider Russell Group Universities . I currently have 3 jobs (all of which pretty much pay minimum wage) and am attempting to save some money for university, as according to the student loan calculator, I am only eligible for a £4000 maintenance loan each year, which would most likely just cover my rent (in some cases not even that). Today, my dad has randomly decided to tell me that despite all of my efforts to save money, there is no way I will be able to afford university, and he will not be assisting me much with any costs I may encounter whilst attending University. I am one of 5 siblings, so despite the relatively high income of my father, divided between seven people this money really does not go a long way. I live on the outskirts of London which means living at home is an option, but I really do not want to do this, especially since I would be living with all my siblings in a so called mad house. This would definitely be my last resort. Therefore, does anyone have any tips on saving money and budgeting in order to afford to continue my education? I've spent this evening in an absolute state as I feel my dreams have been crushed, and I understand that I really should rule out Oxbridge as a part time job will 100% be necessary! Please can someone offer some good advice!!!
You do not need to rule out Oxbridge. Oxbridge colleges are so rich that they can subsidise accommodation costs - when deciding which college to apply for, you will just need to research carefully which offer the cheapest accommodation. Oxbridge colleges often have bursaries too for those struggling financially.

Also, while you wouldn't realistically be able to have a part-time job while at Oxbridge, they have the longest holidays going, so plenty of time for working while you're not at uni.
Reply 2
This is very true.You would be at home from 3rd week in June to first week in October so could work during that time.You also get extra long holidays at Easter and Xmas so have less accommodation to pay for.Look for colleges that offer 3 years accommodation Wadham is one and it has reasonable accommodation rates.You only have to pay for twenty four weeks rent a year which helps immensely.Do not give up on your dream just keep doing what you are doing.
Original post by LeapingLucy
You do not need to rule out Oxbridge. Oxbridge colleges are so rich that they can subsidise accommodation costs - when deciding which college to apply for, you will just need to research carefully which offer the cheapest accommodation. Oxbridge colleges often have bursaries too for those struggling financially.

Also, while you wouldn't realistically be able to have a part-time job while at Oxbridge, they have the longest holidays going, so plenty of time for working while you're not at uni.
Original post by ambertait
I have just finished year 11 and have just had an incredibly unsettling conversation with my parents. I am quite a high achiever and have always wanted to attend university, I have often been pushed towards Oxbridge and would definitely want to consider Russell Group Universities . I currently have 3 jobs (all of which pretty much pay minimum wage) and am attempting to save some money for university, as according to the student loan calculator, I am only eligible for a £4000 maintenance loan each year, which would most likely just cover my rent (in some cases not even that). Today, my dad has randomly decided to tell me that despite all of my efforts to save money, there is no way I will be able to afford university, and he will not be assisting me much with any costs I may encounter whilst attending University. I am one of 5 siblings, so despite the relatively high income of my father, divided between seven people this money really does not go a long way. I live on the outskirts of London which means living at home is an option, but I really do not want to do this, especially since I would be living with all my siblings in a so called mad house. This would definitely be my last resort. Therefore, does anyone have any tips on saving money and budgeting in order to afford to continue my education? I've spent this evening in an absolute state as I feel my dreams have been crushed, and I understand that I really should rule out Oxbridge as a part time job will 100% be necessary! Please can someone offer some good advice!!!

Hey, There are some options and you can apply for a further loan from uni but it does depend on your parents income if you will get this or not. You always have the option to apply for a student back account where you get up to £1500 overdraft without interest and have until a year after you finish uni to pay it off so thats good!
Hope this helps :smile:
SOphia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending