first hospital appointment Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hiya, after an ultrasound and numerous doctors visits I have a gynaecology appointment next week for suspected endometriosis. I'm really worried and have no clue what to expect. they didn't do an internal ultrasound before as I've never had sex so will they do an internal exam? I'm also due on my period so would this matter? have no clue what will happen and just want some guidance, support or advice?!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello. I’m a student radiographer. I’m not qualified yet so bare with me, as I’m not 100% sure.

To test for endometriosis a doctor or radiographer will (usually) perform an ultrasound to detect any cysts relating to endometriosis on your reproductive organs. However, an ultrasound doesn’t definitely show if you have endometriosis, usually it is just a guidance. They will almost always follow up with some sort of internal examination. This can either be in the form of a transvaginal ultrasound (ultrasound with the device in your vagina as opposed to on your stomach) and/or a laparoscopy. This is usually the process of inserting a device (Laparascope) to look for signs of endometrial tissue via an incision on your stomach. You will be put under so don’t worry.

The internal examinations won’t hurt at all whether you’ve had sex or not. However if you may be tight down there, they will use lube before putting the device in you.

Being on your period shouldn’t really matter, but you may feel more comfortable rescheduling it for when you’re not due on your period.
(Original post by Anonymous)
hiya, after an ultrasound and numerous doctors visits I have a gynaecology appointment next week for suspected endometriosis. I'm really worried and have no clue what to expect. they didn't do an internal ultrasound before as I've never had sex so will they do an internal exam? I'm also due on my period so would this matter? have no clue what will happen and just want some guidance, support or advice?!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
They will probably not do an internal exam if you are a virgin. Most likely they will just ask you about your symptoms and discuss further investigations and treatment options. Good luck, hope it goes well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads