Computer science gcse Watch

ArtmisKco
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Please give me every info for computer science gcse like whether it is easy and are there loads to revise for during exam season? Is it fun and is the pacing of each CS class fast? How many exams there are and how long the papers are? Did you regret choosing it?
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
there's 2 papers for gcse compsci.
i picked it but really regretted it as one of my teachers were awful and gave us no help on how to answer exam questions on paper 2, let alone actually teach us coding. the theory i found fine, you probably will too but i just gave up on understanding coding/programming; i ended up putting the subject on the backburner during gcses as i knew i wouldn't get a very high grade in it even if i put the work in- i ended up getting a 5 which i was pleased with. revising theory probably helped me push my grade up. that being said, you could self teach programming.
fun and pacing of class will depend on your teacher and your personal interest in the subject etc. a lot of schools don't seem to have decent compsci teachers but yours might be the exception- worth chatting to someone who does teach compsci for more information.
sigma_108
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
OCR: Paper 1: Computer Systems/ Theory etc, Paper 2: Algorithmic thinking
If you know any programming to a 'beginner' standard, paper 2 will be a joke. I just sat the OCR GCSE and I kid you not, I finished the second paper in 30-35 mins. This was only because I've played around with python since year 9 and the logical thinking skills you need for that paper come naturally when you program. If you haven't done much programming, it may be a little trickier. If you're in year 10 going into 11, it's still not too late to start learning to program. I suggest using https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python to learn python (alternatively, if you want to learn JS they have a course for that too... but I personally would suggest python for beginners and for your purpose as in the exam you can pretty much just use the python syntax for your pseudocode - though I would advise to use a more formal form of pseudocode rather than just python syntax).

The thing with paper 2 is you have to practice to get good at it. Paper 1 is all theory that you have to unfortunately memorise but with paper 2 practice will make things a lot easier. I'm fortunate in the sense that I have interest in the subject and I've observed, since I was a child, the technology and network systems around us so I didn't find the theory that hard either. If you're not in the same position as me, don't worry.. I had friends who were awful at the subject at the beginning of year 11 but were level 7/8 standard by the end. The content for the course is actually not that much (although this may be a little exaggerated in my mind as I essentially only used half the textbook as I never revised for paper 2 - but even then most my peers agree that the course content isn't as heavy as, say, a humanity or even a science).

As always my only other advice is to start early with revision and learn what the mark scheme wants. For me, as I have always had good general knowledge about the subject, it was very easy to put down an answer that is technically correct but not on the mark scheme. CS needs really specific answers at times and accepts the vaguest rubbish at others so be careful.

Good luck!
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Please give me every info for computer science gcse like whether it is easy and are there loads to revise for during exam season? Is it fun and is the pacing of each CS class fast? How many exams there are and how long the papers are? Did you regret choosing it?
ArtmisKco
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Cheers that was useful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads