Do I have any reason to appeal university admission decision? Watch

学生の父
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi AmWood842.

You say you have passed the 3 A-levels in the Classics suite with A*A*A. So, OCR H439 Classics: Latin (L1 through L4) [or possibly the reformed OCR H443 Latin A-level], OCR H442 Classics: Ancient History (AH1 through AH4) and OCR H441 Classics: Classical Civilization (four of the CC modules)?

Since there is no overlap in these modules, you should have three distinct A-levels: one linguistic, one historical and one literary. I see no reason why this combination should not be accepted for entry to an undergraduate Classics degree.

I know of no university which insists that you had to have done coursework as part of a humanities A-level. That strikes me as rather bizarre. Is that part of their published admissions criteria for the programme you applied to?

If you have otherwise fulfilled their admissions criteria, and there is still room on the course, I would ask the uni kindly to look again at their decision to turn down your application.

Otherwise, I see no reason why you should not be able to get yourself a place at another Russell Group uni to start a Classics degree this autumn if that is your desire. For example Bristol, Glasgow, Manchester and KCL all have vacancies today in a number of Classics disciplines.
AmWood842
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Future Physics)
Hey I'm going to university next October and I'll be 23 before Christmas 2020 so don't feel too old lol. If anything it is more of a benefit going later because you will be older and mature so you'll be able to make much better decisions about your future career and optional modules.
Hey, thank you for the supportive words! Your reply really made me feel a lot more secure about my future. Truthfully, I do miss the feeling of being with my cohort/year, but some extra maturity will help me make better career and study choices.
welcometotherock
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The only thing I can possibly see there is that ther is possibly some overlap in content between Classical Civilisation & Ancient History, some universities won;t accept too similar subjects for example Business Studies & Economics. But if that is the case they should have said so.
AmWood842
Rep:
?
(Original post by welcometotherock)
The only thing I can possibly see there is that ther is possibly some overlap in content between Classical Civilisation & Ancient History, some universities won;t accept too similar subjects for example Business Studies & Economics. But if that is the case they should have said so.
There wasn't any issue with my subject choices; they said the problem was that my subjects + homeschooling did not include elements of assessed coursework.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This definitely seems discriminatory and you should take it up as such. Perhaps it is time to name and shame the university. What university was it. Maybe their official representative can then come on here and try and defend this policy.
AmWood842
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
You dont have any right of appeal but you have nothing to lose by writing to the university complaining that they have failed to act in accordance with the Disability Discrimination Act and that you have been discriminated by their policy. Explain due to your illness that you have been unable to attend school and have had to be home schooled and therefore their policy of assessed homework is discriminating against you and is in breach of the DDA. It might get you nowhere but the university wont want the bad press so it is worth a try. Address the letter to The Vice Chancellor and it will probably be redirected to someone with knowledge of the DDA rather than an admissions tutor who probably isnt knowledgeable about the Act. Head the letter DISCRIMINATION DISABILITY ACT.
Thank you for such helpful, detailed advice! As I have already written to Admissions (when I requested selection feedback) and to the Associate Director of Admissions (when I submitted a request for a selection outcome review) addressing my illness and homeschooling, I think it is quite obvious that they aren't knowledgeable about the DDA. Since I don't have the right of appeal, I did want to take it up with someone higher in the hierarchy. But I had no idea who to address my letter to or what to title it, so a massive thank you for your help.
AmWood842
Rep:
?
This definitely seems discriminatory and you should take it up as such. Perhaps it is time to name and shame the university. What university was it. Maybe their official representative can then come on here and try and defend this policy.
Thanks for affirming that I do have grounds to complain(makes me feel a lot more confident in writing that letter). The University even suggested that I take a foundation course in assessed mode somewhere else, then apply again next year. I'm obviously adamantly against this because I already have qualifications and I don't want to waste a ton of money on a foundation course.

I won't be naming the university because I have old school mates who lurk TSR and they would be able to identify me with the university name + information I have already given. I don't want them to read about the mess I am in.
AmWood842
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
Hi AmWood842.

You say you have passed the 3 A-levels in the Classics suite with A*A*A. So, OCR H439 Classics: Latin (L1 through L4) [or possibly the reformed OCR H443 Latin A-level], OCR H442 Classics: Ancient History (AH1 through AH4) and OCR H441 Classics: Classical Civilization (four of the CC modules)?

Since there is no overlap in these modules, you should have three distinct A-levels: one linguistic, one historical and one literary. I see no reason why this combination should not be accepted for entry to an undergraduate Classics degree.

I know of no university which insists that you had to have done coursework as part of a humanities A-level. That strikes me as rather bizarre. Is that part of their published admissions criteria for the programme you applied to?

If you have otherwise fulfilled their admissions criteria, and there is still room on the course, I would ask the uni kindly to look again at their decision to turn down your application.

Otherwise, I see no reason why you should not be able to get yourself a place at another Russell Group uni to start a Classics degree this autumn if that is your desire. For example Bristol, Glasgow, Manchester and KCL all have vacancies today in a number of Classics disciplines.
Hi @学生の父
Thank you for your helpful reply!

Yep, you're right about the logistics of my A-Levels.

It actually is vaguely published as part of their admissions criteria:
"External assessment is a key component required in all qualifications approved as entry pathways to the University."

All my subjects form of external assessment were written exams. I chose those subjects because they would best prepare me for an undergraduate Classics degree. The University seems to be putting the blame on my 'choice'(for me there was no option of going back to traditional schooling) to be home educated. I guess students who take A-Levels with no official coursework still have school assessed coursework and other homeschooled students are usually studying A-Levels through a distance education centre with moderated, internal coursework. Although, I would have thought a university would like someone who independently studied for A*A*A grades. Plus, as a private candidate, I took the responsibility to register myself for exams and examination centres.

I have otherwise fulfilled their admissions criteria and I submitted a request for a selection review to The Associate Director of Admissions(the step before lodging an appeal) 5 months ago. It usually takes 3 weeks to receive a response but after several follow- up emails to Admissions, The Associate Director of Admissions finally sent his response a little over a week ago.

His reason for the delay was:
"My apologies for the extremely long delay, I had thought we had responded but I now realise that the response was not a formal review response."

And his reasoning to uphold the original admission decision was:

"The University approved pathway for applicants with A-Level results are only for those who have completed a high school diploma.
One of the requirements to be considered for entry to a course at the University is that the applicant must have completed an approved secondary qualification such as the GCE Advanced Level or another qualification that is recognised by the University as equivalent to the GCE Advanced Level. For all secondary qualifications used for entry to the University an element of public assessment is required. The combination of study you have chosen unfortunately does not satisfy the University’s criteria for admission to undergraduate study.

I am satisfied that your application was assessed in accordance with the criteria and guidelines, which are strictly adhered to in order to ensure consistency and equity, and that the correct selection procedures have been followed. Therefore, the decision not to offer you a place in the Bachelor of Arts for the 2019 start year intake based on your A-Level results must stand.

If you are still dissatisfied with the outcome of this review you may lodge an appeal with the Academic Secretary in accordance with the Student Appeals to the Academic Board Policy."

I could literally apply to most other universities in the world and meet the entrance requirements easily; it's only this particular university that has external assessment as part of their approved qualifications. Unfortunately, due to my health issues, this University is the most feasible option because it's located the closest to me.
rjckk
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'm sorry to hear that.
Do you still have this physical illness now?
What university did you apply?
thatitootoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
The external assessment thing appears to be part of a policy of a certain univerity "down under" (so I assume that's where OP is based rather than the UK) Anyway, its admission policy is a load of kangaroo ****
学生の父
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I see the words, "External assessment is a key component required in all qualifications approved as entry pathways to the University," but I really don't follow the logic.

Every single module you sat for your A-levels is a form of external assessment. The University of *** seems to have confused their externals with their internals. They claim to have wanted to see internally assessed modules, but for every science A-level, for example, there are no internal assessments. Would they reject someone with A*A*A*A*A* in Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths and Further Maths on the same basis?

GCE A-levels are an approved pathway for entry to your chosen uni. They really should not be concerned about which modules were assessed by coursework, and which by exams.

Furthermore, if your uni is the uni I'm thinking of, there should be no grounds for rejecting you if you apply with those A-levels. They should welcome you with open arms.

I for one would make an appeal. You have nothing to lose, after all.

(Original post by AmWood842)
Hi @学生の父
Thank you for your helpful reply!

Yep, you're right about the logistics of my A-Levels.

It actually is vaguely published as part of their admissions criteria:
"External assessment is a key component required in all qualifications approved as entry pathways to the University."

All my subjects form of external assessment were written exams. I chose those subjects because they would best prepare me for an undergraduate Classics degree. The University seems to be putting the blame on my 'choice'(for me there was no option of going back to traditional schooling) to be home educated. I guess students who take A-Levels with no official coursework still have school assessed coursework and other homeschooled students are usually studying A-Levels through a distance education centre with moderated, internal coursework. Although, I would have thought a university would like someone who independently studied for A*A*A grades. Plus, as a private candidate, I took the responsibility to register myself for exams and examination centres.

I have otherwise fulfilled their admissions criteria and I submitted a request for a selection review to The Associate Director of Admissions(the step before lodging an appeal) 5 months ago. It usually takes 3 weeks to receive a response but after several follow- up emails to Admissions, The Associate Director of Admissions finally sent his response a little over a week ago.

His reason for the delay was:
"My apologies for the extremely long delay, I had thought we had responded but I now realise that the response was not a formal review response."

And his reasoning to uphold the original admission decision was:

"The University approved pathway for applicants with A-Level results are only for those who have completed a high school diploma.
One of the requirements to be considered for entry to a course at the University is that the applicant must have completed an approved secondary qualification such as the GCE Advanced Level or another qualification that is recognised by the University as equivalent to the GCE Advanced Level. For all secondary qualifications used for entry to the University an element of public assessment is required. The combination of study you have chosen unfortunately does not satisfy the University’s criteria for admission to undergraduate study.

I am satisfied that your application was assessed in accordance with the criteria and guidelines, which are strictly adhered to in order to ensure consistency and equity, and that the correct selection procedures have been followed. Therefore, the decision not to offer you a place in the Bachelor of Arts for the 2019 start year intake based on your A-Level results must stand.

If you are still dissatisfied with the outcome of this review you may lodge an appeal with the Academic Secretary in accordance with the Student Appeals to the Academic Board Policy."

I could literally apply to most other universities in the world and meet the entrance requirements easily; it's only this particular university that has external assessment as part of their approved qualifications. Unfortunately, due to my health issues, this University is the most feasible option because it's located the closest to me.
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I agree - all the courses that you mention are assessed externally, namely by OCR, and they are indeed GCE Advanced Levels.
AmWood842
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatitootoo)
The external assessment thing appears to be part of a policy of a certain univerity "down under" (so I assume that's where OP is based rather than the UK) Anyway, its admission policy is a load of kangaroo ****
haha I'm glad you agree that their policy is a load of kangaroo ****!
Last edited by AmWood842; 4 days ago
AmWood842
Rep:
?
(Original post by Classics_Teacher)
I agree - all the courses that you mention are assessed externally, namely by OCR, and they are indeed GCE Advanced Levels.
Thank you for agreeing! Might just have to write a very blunt letter stating what you just said.
Gwil
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
It sounds like they must have misunderstood your situation and erroneously assumed that since you are home-schooled, you have not completed the final exams of your A-levels. It's a very strange assumption for them to make since I would have thought that applicants who have taken their exams as private candidates are not uncommon (I'm a fellow homeschooler here). I would suggest you file a complaint, or at least send another email to Admissions, repeating the fact that you do have legit qualifications as clearly as you can and sending them scans of your certificates. If that doesn't work, could you make an appointment with them in person?

On the other hand, you must have worked extremely hard to achieve such excellent results, all while struggling with illness and without the support of a teacher, so I have a tendency to think that this university doesn't really deserve you. Are you sure you don't want to wait another year and reapply to Oxford?

Good luck!
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
What makes you think coursework is required? Have they actually said that anywhere? If so please quote.

The text you quoted only mentions "External assessment". You fulfil this with your exams.

This sounds to me (as an admissions tutor) like a mistake, making the assumption that a home-schooled student did not sit exams.

Personally I'd say f*** em' and go to Oxford.
2childmum!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I'm also a bit confused by the requirement for a high school diploma - we don't have those in the uk (they have them in the states and it can cause problems for home-educated students there)

Can you confirm whether this is a uni in the uk, or somewhere else? That might help us understand you situation a little better
Last edited by 2childmum!; 3 days ago
AmWood842
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by 2childmum!)
I'm also a bit confused by the requirement for a high school diploma - we don't have those in the uk (they have them in the states and it can cause problems for home-educated students there)

Can you confirm whether this is a uni in the uk, or somewhere else? That might help us understand you situation a little better
For this particular uni, even American homeschooled applicants would not meet the entry requirements since a high school diploma is required.
I will private message you the uni name, but no it is not in the UK.
Thanks for the reply!
AmWood842
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by chazwomaq)
What makes you think coursework is required? Have they actually said that anywhere? If so please quote.

The text you quoted only mentions "External assessment". You fulfil this with your exams.

This sounds to me (as an admissions tutor) like a mistake, making the assumption that a home-schooled student did not sit exams.

Personally I'd say f*** em' and go to Oxford.
I have emailed Admissions, and I submitted a letter to request a decision review. Both Admissions and the Associate Director of Admissions (who replied to my review) said something along the lines of "for all secondary qualifications used for entry to the University an element of public assessment is required." So I guess those who achieve A-levels through school or a distance education centre are only accepted since they have graded homework.

They know I have sat final exams and that I've done incredibly well in them; they have an issue with no assessed work before sitting exams.

Oxford is my dream university, but Oxford is out of the picture now because my mental and physical health would not be able to cope with moving away from home.

Thank you for your insight (especially since you're an admissions tutor!)
AmWood842
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 21 hours ago
(Original post by Gwil)
It sounds like they must have misunderstood your situation and erroneously assumed that since you are home-schooled, you have not completed the final exams of your A-levels. It's a very strange assumption for them to make since I would have thought that applicants who have taken their exams as private candidates are not uncommon (I'm a fellow homeschooler here). I would suggest you file a complaint, or at least send another email to Admissions, repeating the fact that you do have legit qualifications as clearly as you can and sending them scans of your certificates. If that doesn't work, could you make an appointment with them in person?

On the other hand, you must have worked extremely hard to achieve such excellent results, all while struggling with illness and without the support of a teacher, so I have a tendency to think that this university doesn't really deserve you. Are you sure you don't want to wait another year and reapply to Oxford?

Good luck!
Hello, fellow homeschooler!
They do understand that I have completed final exams. Their problem seems to be with the fact that prior to sitting my final exams, I did not have any assessed or graded coursework. In many futile emails sent back and forth to admissions, I stressed that my qualifications do not require coursework and that if need be, I would be delighted to send written work. They always replied with the same thing about secondary qualifications needing elements of school assessed coursework. I then submitted a request for a formal review of the admission decision to the Associate Director of Admissions. He replied that the University's entry requirements require qualifications that include public, graded assessment and that it was my unfortunate decision to be homeschooled(even though I have stressed that it wasn't a choice to be homeschooled). The next step would be to appeal, so I'll have to write a convincing letter/complaint to not have my appeal dismissed. Luckily, if your appeal is passed, you attend an appeal where the Academic Board and relevant faculty members are present(rather than admissions). Perhaps in an appeal hearing, they might look at my case more holistically— though it is a very intimidating and formal process.

Really would love to reapply to Oxford, but I already have taken a gap year(due to health reasons), and I just feel like my Oxford opportunity has passed.

Thank you for the very kind words btw
Last edited by AmWood842; 21 hours ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads