What to bring to your university accommodation Watch

XXXXX_XX
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Obviously, I will have to carry all the things required for the university, but other than that, what can I bring into accommodation?

And, may I also know how many suitcase/bag you should carry. I am planning to bring two large(96L)suitcase, and one bag, but is that too much?

note:I'm an international student
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by XXXXX_XX)
Obviously, I will have to carry all the things required for the university, but other than that, what can I bring into accommodation?

And, may I also know how many suitcase/bag you should carry. I am planning to bring two large(96L)suitcase, and one bag, but is that too much?

A first aid kit! We needed it on the first day as a housemate cut himself quite bad!
Ali_K01
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should also bring your own Tupperware and cooking-ware, you don’t need to bring a lot but just enough for yourself.
2 large suitcases will be fine as long as you bring clothes that are perfect for all types of weather, or you could buy somebody here later.
XXXXX_XX
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ali_K01)
You should also bring your own Tupperware and cooking-ware, you don’t need to bring a lot but just enough for yourself.
2 large suitcases will be fine as long as you bring clothes that are perfect for all types of weather, or you could buy somebody here later.
Do you think I can also bring my CDs?
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Honestly, I would say bring your clothes and essentials and stuff that you can't buy in the UK, and you should be able to buy most of it here, e.g. kitchen stuff, most toiletries etc. I went into town on a weekend last September and Wilko was full of international students stocking up on everything they needed.
Ali_K01
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you think I can also bring my CDs?
I think you should if you want to. Why not 😁
XXXXX_XX
Rep:
?
I think you should if you want to. Why not 😁
I was worried because I have LOTS of CDs.
By the way, I noticed that my accomodation was only from september to may. I think I will be kicked out from the accommodation after may, so at that time, where should I stay, and where should I keep my things?
Ali_K01
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t know why you’re going to Ben kicked out but if it’s because the accommodations are going to be modified or something like that then they may provide another place for you to live especially if you’ve paid to live there.
However if you’re being kicked out as a consequence of your own actions then I would suggest renting out a small place.
I was worried because I have LOTS of CDs.
By the way, I noticed that my accomodation was only from september to may. I think I will be kicked out from the accommodation after may, so at that time, where should I stay, and where should I keep my things?
XXXXX_XX
Rep:
?
Sorry. I meant at may, the period i can stay in accommodation will be over, so I will be sent out.
I don’t know why you’re going to Ben kicked out but if it’s because the accommodations are going to be modified or something like that then they may provide another place for you to live especially if you’ve paid to live there.
However if you’re being kicked out as a consequence of your own actions then I would suggest renting out a small place.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 week ago
as an international student i came here with one very large suitcase and one small one with plans to buy everything else i needed when i arrived. too much pain in the butt to carry if you're moving to the other side of the world by yourself.

ask the accommodation if you can extend your contract over the summer. you can bring your CDs but i hope you also bring your headphones.
XXXXX_XX
Rep:
?
hummm...so its possible to keep it in one suitcase… I also do think that its very stressful carrying loads of things with me. I'll try keeping my luggage minimum, and also bring my headphone
(Original post by Joleee)
as an international student i came here with one very large suitcase and one small one with plans to buy everything else i needed when i arrived. too much pain in the butt to carry if you're moving to the other side of the world by yourself.

ask the accommodation if you can extend your contract over the summer. you can bring your CDs but i hope you also bring your headphones.
Ali_K01
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would suggest renting a small place maybe an apartment or even a storage unit to keep your stuff there.
Sorry. I meant at may, the period i can stay in accommodation will be over, so I will be sent out.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I post my stuff, why carry.
XXXXX_XX
Rep:
?
I never thougt of that. Thank you.

I would suggest renting a small place maybe an apartment or even a storage unit to keep your stuff there.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Only bring personal possessions that you can't buy in your university town (such as your favourite clothes, photos etc.), and buy everything else once you get there. Some universities even offer cheap 'starter' kits for international students that include bedding, crockery, cutlery etc.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
a frog
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1) Flip flops, useful for taking the bins out
2) Fly killer, good for when you get that stray fly
3) Spray on carpet cleaner, useful in case you spill something
CHANELDIAMONDS
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
get everything from the pound shop.

medication, a life
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I like it that OP still uses CDs, nice and old fashioned. :bigsmile:
The Student Housing Company
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Hey, i would contact the accommodation you are staying with. Most places will accept deliveries on your behalf so your items can be sent there for your arrival - This way you won't have to lug around heavy bags!
Most things you will also be able to buy in the UK and some accommodations offer bedding & kitchen packs you can buy, so check with them Or they will at least be able to point you in the direction of the nearest places you can buy what you need.
Also, make sure you check your handbook/contract as some accommodations won't accept any international appliances etc. So you don't want to bring anything that you can't use.
Hope this helps - Jess C
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads