The Student Room Group

What is THE best shoulder exercise?

What is the best shoulder exercise? As in the only one you need to do.
Are you looking for strength or endurance or mobility, or training them for any certain sport?

No exercise will target every area of the shoulder effectively, but if I had to choose one for shoulder strength I would probably go with the overhead press. Ideally you would alternate weeks between barbell and dumbbells. For strength I would try to increase by 1.5kg every workout as long as you leaving a couple days rest between them.
How often do you work out, and do you use a gym?
(Male) just turned sixteen so I can finally go to the gym. I go 4-6 times a week. What other exercises/advice would you recommend for building big shoulders?
I just looked at that exercise and it looks pretty simple.
Handstand push ups
Overhead Press is the best one. The more you press the bigger you shoulders get as stronger muscle=bigger muscle. It also works all 3 heads of the shoulder in addition to lats,upper chest and tris since its a compound movement

Facepulls are also super important as the rear delts get neglected a lot.

I like cable side lateral raises for the lateral delt.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
Overhead Press is the best one. The more you press the bigger you shoulders get as stronger muscle=bigger muscle. It also works all 3 heads of the shoulder in addition to lats,upper chest and tris since its a compound movement

Facepulls are also super important as the rear delts get neglected a lot.

I like cable side lateral raises for the lateral delt.

So if I did these three exercises, that’s all I’ll need to do?
Original post by Matthew Griffy
So if I did these three exercises, that’s all I’ll need to do?

Yeah pretty much. But make sure you are following a proper lifting routine, and eating enough.
Original post by Matthew Griffy
What is the best shoulder exercise? As in the only one you need to do.

Hey, I do two. One is using the bar with wights on the end and you lift it above and over you head. Or the second is using two lightish weights and lift your arms up to the side to shoulder height :smile:
Sophia
Reply 9
There is no one shoulder exercise that targets all parts of the shoulder. Also, it looks like you're only looking for one shoulder workout for some odd reason.
Overhead press is the key compound movement for the shoulders.

However, from a perspective of aesthetics/strength/injury prevention, isolation exercises targeting the lateral deltoid (any of the various lateral raise exercises) and posterior deltoid (face pulls, rear delt flies, etc.) are recommended.

Which is just a reiteration of what @SuperHuman98 said.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube discussing shoulders in great depth.
Original post by illusionz
Handstand push ups

Too fat crew

Quick Reply

Latest