Master’s degree in languages (English and Russian) Watch

Ada Pihler
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello,

I’d like to inquire about doing a masters in modern languages (English and Russian Studies, specifically) in UK. I’ve just finished my exams and I’ll be a 3rd year student of English and Russian Studies in October. In Slovenia, i could get a masters that combines both studies (I love both languages equally, so it’s quite nice that I don’t have to pick and choose), but I’m not so sure if the UK universities offer the same option. I haven’t found the answer to my question on any of the potential UK universities’ site.

Thank you for you help!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ada Pihler
Rep:
?
Hello,

I’d like to inquire about doing a masters in modern languages (English and Russian Studies, specifically) in UK. I’ve just finished my exams and I’ll be a 3rd year student of English and Russian Studies in October. In Slovenia, i could get a masters that combines both studies (I love both languages equally, so it’s quite nice that I don’t have to pick and choose), but I’m not so sure if the UK universities offer the same option. I haven’t found the answer to my question on any of the potential UK universities’ sites.

Thank you for you help!
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm sure that you could find a suitable Masters, check St. Andrews in Scotland, Oxford University even, Trinity College Dublin....
Glaz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Moved to Postgrad Support for you buddy
Ada Pihler
Rep:
?
Hello,

I’d like to inquire about doing a masters in modern languages (English and Russian Studies, specifically) in UK. I’ve just finished my exams and I’ll be a 3rd year student of English and Russian Studies in October. In Slovenia, i could get a masters that combines both studies (I love both languages equally, so it’s quite nice that I don’t have to pick and choose), but I’m not so sure if the UK universities offer the same option. I haven’t found the answer to my question on any of the potential UK universities’ sites.

Thank you for you help!
Solipsis
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You won't find such a combined degree in the UK. You will find standalone Russian Studies degrees in the UK though. I don't think there are such things as English language degrees in the UK; there certainly are English literature and linguistics degrees, however.Bear in mind that Russian Studies in the UK encompass a variety of disciplines related to the region. I doubt you will find a degree that exclusively focuses on Russian language, especially at Master's level.
Grozdova.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you considered Comparative Literature? Can only speak from my (biased!) experience, but the Russian department at St Andrews is excellent. Comp Lit falls under the School of Modern Languages and they offer masters courses, which would give you the chance to combine both English and Russian. I think there's a fair bit of collaboration between departments/schools for Comp Lit. You can always PM me you want more info
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ada Pihler)
Hello,

Thank you for you help!
Please don't make duplicate threads, as this is against TSR rules.

As far as I can see, there are no universities in the UK that offer joint English and Russian Studies master's degrees, as usually master's degrees in the UK focus on one specific subject rather than two. There are many universities that offer master's degrees in Translation, but if you don't want to do this, then your options are more limited. You can either pick one of many English Literature or English language degrees (you'll have to research which universities offer these yourself), or pick a Russian-focused degree, like the ones I found below:
~ MA Russian Studies at UCL
~ MA Russian and Eastern European Literature and Culture at UCL
~ MScR Russian Studies at University of Edinburgh
~ MSc Russian and Eastern European Studies at University of Oxford
~ MSc Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies at University of Glasgow
~ MLitt Russian Studies at University of St Andrews

There may be other options out there, but you'll need to research these for yourself.
Ada Pihler
Rep:
?
Thank you, everyone, for answering my question!

It’s quite interesting how courses among countries differ. In my case, grammar and the practical part of both courses have always interested me more than literature. Therefore, I’m keen on UK courses, as they are more specific in a certain field and offer many more options as opposed to Slovenian courses, which are a lot more broad. I’ve been doing a great deal of research for the past month, but this has definitely helped me a lot!

Ps: I’m sorry for the duplicate threads (rookie mistake, but thanks for the warning).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish