Embarrassing interview moments? Watch

Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Any type of interview allowed.

The flies on my trousers broke on day 1 of 2, had to keep it concealed by putting my zip to the top and used my black jumper to cover it being open even when i was boiling. I had to be especially careful when I had to crouch down or after going to the toilet. My sewing skills are s*** and day 1 finished after all the fashion stores were closed and I was in a different country, so I couldn't just go to a shop.
Lady Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I once brought my dance bag instead of my notes bag to an interview for a research project. (Tbf they are both black duffel bags and look very similar).

Luckily the interviewer was my ex-professor, and since I’m his ALL-TIME fav student (his words, not mine 😉), he just laughed it off and allowed me to reschedule. I’m sure it could have been worse but I almost cried when I saw my jazz shoes instead of my laptop.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was going to interview for a sales position with EE and literally seconds before walking into the store, the heel of not one but both shoes burst clean off. I ran into Poundland next store to try and superglue things back to some sort of presentable standard, but failed miserably. Retreated back to the bus leaving a trail of whatever along the way since there's no way in hell I would've been approved for a shop floor trial. Shoe Zone isn't getting another penny of mine.

Pic because it happened:

Name:  DyUviozXQAIMSjZ.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  152.5 KB
LolIGotAU
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I started the interview well for a degree apprenticeship but then talked about TV advertisements for the company and how I've seen them, brand awareness etc. The interviewer then said 'we don't have any form of advertisement yet'. At this moment I realised this company had the same name as another company and the background research I had done was for this other company. I was wondering why the logo looked different from the one on the TV advert lmao. Needless to say, I didn't get the job. Luckily, I managed to get another interview with a different company that actually went well a week later. 😁
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I attended an interview for a full-time summer job a few months ago. I was waiting in the reception area, when a woman called my name to collect me for my interview. The first question was "tell us about yourself", so I did just that. While I was talking however, I noticed that the interviewers looked confused, and were sifting through their papers and muttering to each other. I kind of trailed off after another 30 seconds of this, and the lead interviewer looked up and asked "Are you Phoenix Blah Blah?" That was the horrifying moment when I realised that I had answered to the wrong name when the woman came to collect someone. My first name is pretty unusual, so when she started saying it, I didn't wait for her to say the surname clearly, as I just presumed it was me she wanted. :facepalm:

They continued with the interview anyway (but obviously found my CV and application first), but my mistake really put me off as I sat there glowing with embarrassment.
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 1 week ago
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nothing stands out. Pretty hard to embarrass me anyway, I have skin like a rhino and very little pride.

Had a phone interview still drunk from the night before, though. Dunno if it was embarrassing cos I went back to bed after and now don't remember any of it.
neyscar
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was at my Cambridge admissions interview for English. Got to the college and stood outside a door in the world's narrowest staircase hyping myself up and trying to shake off the nerves.

Took a deep breath, confidently opened the door and marched into the room where I saw two professors sat across from a clearly very nervous and startled blonde girl staring at me in shock. It was at this moment that I realised I had walked into someone else's interview and, yes, I had indeed ****ed up.
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I had a phone interview and completely forgot how to talk so I faked a bad signal by making weird fuzzy noises followed by "sorry did you say something?".
Guess what? I didn't get the job
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was interviewing for an internship with Bloomberg and the guy spilled his coffee on himself
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
it's always the entrance and exit for me
open the door the wrong way
trip my way in
got my jacket caught in the door as well

yep :facepalm:
XOR_
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by blackvoid17)
I had a phone interview and completely forgot how to talk so I faked a bad signal by making weird fuzzy noises followed by "sorry did you say something?".
Guess what? I didn't get the job
:lol:
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
Any type of interview allowed.

The flies on my trousers broke on day 1 of 2, had to keep it concealed by putting my zip to the top and used my black jumper to cover it being open even when i was boiling. I had to be especially careful when I had to crouch down or after going to the toilet. My sewing skills are s*** and day 1 finished after all the fashion stores were closed and I was in a different country, so I couldn't just go to a shop.
Haha thats funny! I was at a trial shift for a waitress job and i had never done it before. They asked me to take some drinks to a table on a tray. I didnt think about the balance of the drinks and i took one drink off the tray and they all fell and spilled all over the customers. We had to pay for the customer to get a taxi home and back again to get changed!!! It was awful (and i didnt get the job).
Sophia
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Told them the interview was gonna have to stop because I was gonna pass out. Which was not the best impression to make and didn't get the gig, it turns out.

Tbh, I wasn't embarrassed but people seemed to think it was embarrassing when they laughed in me face about it.
Last edited by Notoriety; 1 week ago
Fee2565
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was at an interview for a place at Uni of Leeds. The interviewer asked me what I read and I was so nervous I answered 'Books'. My most smh moment ever. They offered me an unconditional place though and I graduated last year. Makes a good talking point in interviews now.
DrDevilHell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I once had an assessment centre for a summer internship.
The interview portion went horribly so when it finished I was so relieved. Me and one of interviewers were walking back to the main room and I walked right into the glass door for the room head first(I can't see depth very well as of my untreated lazy eye) and didn't bounce of the glass. All the candidates, one interviewer and the main HR saw this happen......
I had to later present my team's work to all the interviewers with a large throbbing bulge visibly on my head.

I didn't get job.
Ckdeccy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
University student ambassador said goodluck right before my interview and I said you too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads