Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So are you now
Studying medicine at Uni?

(Original post by okfpw)
Yo if anyone has any questions about the process, I'm happy to help

I applied to medicine twice - in 2017 and 2018 - managed to bag all interviews both cycles - and got an offer in both cycles
I'm sure I can help with any questions ucas related, doesn't have to be about applying to medicine specifically - so ask away
pinkbluex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What course are you applying for: Med
What universities are you thinking of: Leicester, Nottingham, Birmingham
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 6A/A*, 3B
Extra curriculars: EPQ, volunteering, basketball
pinkbluex
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How did you prep for the interviews? I'm soooo scared to be honest, and I didn't get the best grades in the world at GCSE, got A*/A but a couple B's too, and I feel those B's could put me down :/
(Original post by okfpw)
Yo if anyone has any questions about the process, I'm happy to help

I applied to medicine twice - in 2017 and 2018 - managed to bag all interviews both cycles - and got an offer in both cycles
I'm sure I can help with any questions ucas related, doesn't have to be about applying to medicine specifically - so ask away
okfpw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 5thchild)
So are you now
Studying medicine at Uni?
I will be this fall
Have an unconditional offer
sofsferr02
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey guys!
Sofia here,

I'm applying for Biochemistry.
Thinking about Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, King's, Bath, but I'm not 100% sure yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Open to any suggestions.
Predicted A* in Chemistry, A* in Biology, A* in Maths and A in Further Maths.
GCSEs: seven 9s, three 8s, three A*s, A in FSMQ.
Extra-curriculars: violin, piano, painting, boxing, learning Japanese, volunteering with a youth group, EPQ, part of the head student team.

Good luck with your applications, everyone!
Last edited by sofsferr02; 3 weeks ago
Skylar.J
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi!

What course are you applying for:
Medicine + 5th option

What universities are you thinking of:
KCL/Queen Mary of Barts, bristol, dundee/glasgow but open to other uni options as well

A level / Pre U predicted grades:
Maths A*
Biology A
Chemistry D3
Physics D3 (might drop)

GCSE grades:
9997A*A*A*A*A*AAA

Extra curricular:

Epq, badminton, piano G8, work experience/ volunteering in vet and special needs school
sharleenshark
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone, I'm Sharleen!

Planning on applying for Costume
Thinking of Guildhall, Rose Bruford, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Royal Central, Bristol Old Vic, Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts
Predicted a distinction/merit in my UAL Extended Diploma Level 3 Fashion and Clothing
GCSE grades: 888776665A and Distinction* in ECDL
Extracurriculars: I'm part of the backstage crew for my local theatre group, and I also help the performing arts department at college. I also might be doing work experience at a few more theatres in the coming year
okfpw
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by pinkbluex)
How did you prep for the interviews? I'm soooo scared to be honest, and I didn't get the best grades in the world at GCSE, got A*/A but a couple B's too, and I feel those B's could put me down :/
the thing with interviews is - the more comfortable you are talking, the better you perform on the day - practice with literally anyone that would listen
write out all the experiences you've had (and I mean ALL - literally anything you remember) that have some relevancy to or can be compared to working as a doctor in the NHS - you should be able to discuss these things and explain concisely why you think that these experiences would help you in medicine (ie what skills did you gain from it, what realizations did you make, etc.)
Key point is not to sound rehearsed - but do have some examples in the back of your mind ready to showcase your skills if they are relevant to the questions asked
If your the type of person who gets nervous and talks low in interviews, try to practice speaking confidently and clearly
Finally, timing - timing is something I see neglected on TSR often - yes a lot of interviewers will guide you - but some wont and if you're not careful you often won't get your point across before its time to switch stations (if doing an mmi) - so when practicing interviewing, make sure you give yourself a certain time limit to talk about all that you want to - get your main point across before your time is up

As for the GCSE part, tbh I didn't do GCSEs - I was abroad and did some other thing which I had to beg my unis to accept as equivalent
I will say this, if your GCSEs aren't great, apply to unis that don't look at it much - or have a low minimum requirement for it
but don't worry too much as most unis only look at GCSEs early on in the cycle when deciding who to chose for interviews - after that they don't care, at least that is what I found in my research
So if you meet the minimum requirements and other parts of your application are strong, I say go for it
Key point being, apply to your strengths
Josh5718
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What course are you applying for:
• Modern Languages and English

What universities are you thinking of:
• Bristol, Exeter, Warwick, Birmingham and Sheffield

A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
• Waiting for AS but I think I got ABB with predicted A Level grades as A*AA

GCSE grades:
• 8766666AAB

Extra curriculars:

• EPQ, Volunteering At Children’s Hospital, Sutton Coldfield Youth Council, Head boy, 2019 Sixth Form Parliamentary Debating Competition, Swimming, Badminton, DofE, Shop Assistant at Charity shop and voluntary teacher assistant at primary school
pinkbluex
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by okfpw)
the thing with interviews is - the more comfortable you are talking, the better you perform on the day - practice with literally anyone that would listen
write out all the experiences you've had (and I mean ALL - literally anything you remember) that have some relevancy to or can be compared to working as a doctor in the NHS - you should be able to discuss these things and explain concisely why you think that these experiences would help you in medicine (ie what skills did you gain from it, what realizations did you make, etc.)
Key point is not to sound rehearsed - but do have some examples in the back of your mind ready to showcase your skills if they are relevant to the questions asked
If your the type of person who gets nervous and talks low in interviews, try to practice speaking confidently and clearly
Finally, timing - timing is something I see neglected on TSR often - yes a lot of interviewers will guide you - but some wont and if you're not careful you often won't get your point across before its time to switch stations (if doing an mmi) - so when practicing interviewing, make sure you give yourself a certain time limit to talk about all that you want to - get your main point across before your time is up

As for the GCSE part, tbh I didn't do GCSEs - I was abroad and did some other thing which I had to beg my unis to accept as equivalent
I will say this, if your GCSEs aren't great, apply to unis that don't look at it much - or have a low minimum requirement for it
but don't worry too much as most unis only look at GCSEs early on in the cycle when deciding who to chose for interviews - after that they don't care, at least that is what I found in my research
So if you meet the minimum requirements and other parts of your application are strong, I say go for it
Key point being, apply to your strengths
thank you sooooo much!
raedowling
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I'm Rae...
What course are you applying for: Sociology or Sociology and Criminology
What universities are you thinking of: the University of Nottingham, University of Sheffield, I'm also looking at Durham and Liverpool
A level predicted grades: A*, A, A, B (both in mocks and currently projected- though we will get another set of predicted next term)
Angela.801
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wanna do criminology toooo! Girl yes that’s great and tbh there are a lot of career opportunities especially since you are combining it with sociology. I’m considering criminology on its own or with psychology
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lemmens
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Bonjour, I'm Lauren

Course: Chemistry/Chemistry and Maths

Universities: Oxford, Durham, St Andrews, Leeds and I'm not too sure about a fifth option

A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics & EPQ

GCSEs: 9999999A*A*A*AA^

Extras: skydiving, additional reading, DOFE, lab shadowing, musical theatre, art, volunteer at the library and with children
ChubbyBunnie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
Have added cambridge, LSE, Imperial and King's..... if anyone sees any more or wants to set some up let me know! :yay:
Do you know if there are any for Strathclyde uni or for Chemical Engineering?
caseyholt27
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What course are you applying for: Business management
What universities are you thinking of: Leeds, Manchester, Northumbria, Lincoln and York
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: AAB, I’m studying English language, sociology and business studies at A L
GCSE grades:
English Lang: 7
EvelEnglish Lit: 7
RE: 7
Combined sciences: 6 and 5
History: 5
French: 5
Maths: 5
Health and social care: C
PE: 3 🤣🤣

Extra curriculars: I have 2 part time jobs but looking to do some kind of volunteering. I need something interesting to add to my application
LucyLu223
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi guys wishing all of you the best of luck!!
What course are you applying for: modern languages (Spanish and Russian)
What universities are you thinking of: Cambridge (purely aspirational!!), St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh and Birmingham
A level: A* AA (Spanish, History and English Lit)
Extra curricular: Singing - just got my Grade 8 and working towards a diploma that I’ll take in November

Strong role in our school musical
Volunteering at my local village hall
Work experience in a Spanish school (hoping to do another week in Madrid soon)
Working on an EPQ about Catherine the Great!!
Last edited by LucyLu223; 3 weeks ago
/JR/
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello guys, Let’s play the game of finding anyone who wants to do Ancient History

What course are you applying for: Ancient History at most with a mix of other subjects classics at some universities.
What universities are you thinking of: Oxford, Durham,Bristol, Exeter, St Andrews/Edinburgh
A level: Got A*A*A*A in mocks, probably 4A* predicted
GCSEs: 99999777665
Extra Curricular: lots of reading, senior leadership roles in clubs about history and classics, summer schools
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by /JR/; 3 weeks ago
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What course are you applying for: psychology
What universities are you thinking of: st andrews, cardiff, uea, manchester, not sure about fifth yet
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: ABB atm though got A*AA in mocks hopefully will be able to push them up.
GCSE grades: 56667A88899
Extra curriculars: oxfam volunteering, psychology reading, psychology essay competition and i'll be attending durham sutton trust in august.
Lena2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone I'm Lena

I am applying for Architecture. I want to apply to UCL, and I'm thinking of other London universities such as Westminster, Greenwich, Kingston, London Metropolitan, London South Bank; but I'm also thinking of Sheffield, Manchester, Bristol.
Subjects: Art, Maths, Geography
Predicted grades: A*B (third predicted grade will be based on AS exam result in August)
GCSE grades: 877766555
Extra curriculars: EPQ, Photography, 3 work experience placements (another in Aug), summer school (another next week), part of arts collective (volunteered with them), and some other things.
Last edited by Lena2002; 3 weeks ago
forre
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
fammmm where all the engineers at?
but yh, mans gon apply for engineering ygm, applying to Cambridge, imperial, Durham, bristol n cov uni....
not got my predicted grades as based on as but should be all A*s cuh mans smart like that hehe
nah jokes should be
maths A*, Physics A*, Chemistry A* or A, further maths, no idea as the exam was disgusting
gcse- 999888877
extracurricular- Baller
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads