IB Year 1’s: Don’t be disheartened by mock results Watch

R.Murphy1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Sometimes getting a bad mock result at the end of year 1 can lead you to feel there isn’t much room for improvement. After my mock exams, I was searching online to see if there were any cases of people taking failing grades to at least A’s however, most said it was only possible to improve by a grade or two by the time of the May exams. I realised it definitely is possible to achieve top grades if you put the work in over summer and during year 2.
Coming out with a 3 in HL chemistry after my end of year 12 mock, my teacher said I would probably only be able to improve 2 grades by the time of my exams. I got my results back on Saturday with a 7 in chemistry because I believed in myself and knew if I put in the hard work it will pay off.
I also took mocks in January of this year and got a 4 in SL maths, getting my results back I had a 7 because I used my mocks as a wake up call and practiced and practiced.
Don’t take mock grades at face value, there is always time to improve and at the end of the day it is the final grade that matters.

TLDR; got 3 and 4 in mocks, put in the work and came out with 7’s. There’s always time to improve after mocks so don’t let them get you down.
TheoFromHR
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I can 1000% agree and atest to this post! I came out of my mocks disheartened. I believe I got 34 points, which was no where near the 38 I needed to get into Bristol Uni. I got my results last week Saturday with way more than the 34 I got in mocks. Take mocks as a learning experience, it is made to expose you to your weaknesses, and to show you how you SHOULD revise for the real thing. Good luck guys.
rhysreeds
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
oh my god
thank you guys so much
this calmed me down so much you have no idea

R.Murphy1 I've looked for those too oh my
Basically for my bio I finished on a 5 and I'm hoping to pump this to a 7 but thinking that I only have maybe two months till predicted (hoping to apply for med so i've pretty much got until oct 15)

if you dont mind me asking were you able to improve by your predicted grades upon entering y13? did you do anything specific to convince your teacher etc?
R.Murphy1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Definitely speaking to your teachers is a good starting point, many in my experience were quite lenient with upping predicted grades to meet uni requirements. The other ways I was able to convince some of my teachers that I was capable, despite my bad mock grades, were mainly by studying hard for class/end of topic tests, performing well in my IA's and generally just showing an interest in the subject. If possible, also doing work over summer on studying course content (BioNinja is an amazing site for biology if you don't already use it) can put you in a good position. I definitely think it's possible for your bio grade to easily go up to a 7, I also finished year 12 on a 5 and got my results back with a 7 on Saturday.

Good Luck for next year !!
(Original post by rhysreeds)
oh my god
thank you guys so much
this calmed me down so much you have no idea

R.Murphy1 I've looked for those too oh my
Basically for my bio I finished on a 5 and I'm hoping to pump this to a 7 but thinking that I only have maybe two months till predicted (hoping to apply for med so i've pretty much got until oct 15)

if you dont mind me asking were you able to improve by your predicted grades upon entering y13? did you do anything specific to convince your teacher etc?
TheoFromHR
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
BioNinja is an amazing tool for revision. Also use Kognity if you have it. Kognity's biology textbook is really good, in-depth but also concise.
rhysreeds
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
ah i see! im doing some bio review rn with bioninja but ill definitely check out kognity thanks a lot!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby