Is the cost of travel limiting your uni options? Watch

novemberstorm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I feel this so much... I live in NI and really want to get to some open days as I just wouldn't feel right applying otherwise but flights are stupidly expensive
University of Aberdeen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello Novemberstorm,

How are you? I saw the thread about the expense of visiting universities for open days and you are right flights are very expensive at times. Is there any way you can use either the bus or train and ferry at Belfast/Stranraer, and is there any cost reduction by doing this or not? I had a look just now at car sharing sites and they seem to be in their infancy, plus you really need to have trust in who you are travelling with, so I would not recommend them from a safety perspective. If you know the date of your open day youth hostels are reasonably priced, especially if you don't mind sharing a room. We have a youth hostel here in Aberdeen and I am sure most cities are well served with youth hostels. Try to arrange overight accommodation in halls which will be fairly empty at this time of year. There may also be space available during term times so it is always worth asking. For eating on a budget you could either eat on campus, create a picnic by visiting a supermarket (dependant on weather), eat in a supermarket or try actual market halls for food as they can sometimes provide some great international cuisine at a fraction of the price.

Other than that if you let people know about your plans in advance and which places you are visiting you never know you may find some fellow students in need of car share or with a car. If you can't visit the universities you want to visit it may be worth visiting their websites. Many now show virtual tours and they offer virtual open days. If you are studying at undergraduate level and they are showing postgraduate level programmes it is still worth signing up to receive videos of lectures and facilities. You could also ask for the links to these films to be shared with you, so that you can gain as much information as possible about your study choice. Also take a look at university You Tube feeds to get a flavour of study at specific universities, and look at tourism sites, expat community groups, hobby interest groups and meet ups in specific places.

The only other suggestion I have is to do a tour of universities by arranging the open day you really want to attend with a larger scale tour of universities which allow you to visit a range of universities and speak to your lecturers. You can still tour the faciltiies and get a flavour of the university whilst you are visiting. Here at Aberdeen we offer an open door policy to allow you to work around your own schedules. Some of the above ideas may help with budget issues you have all mentioned on this thread. You might also find a pre-arranged Skype call with lecturers and student advisors may also help to solve budget issues to ask questions and meet some of the people at the university you are interested in going to online. I hope you find creative ways around your budget issues to find out what you need to know in order to choose your favourite university!
(Original post by novemberstorm)
I feel this so much... I live in NI and really want to get to some open days as I just wouldn't feel right applying otherwise but flights are stupidly expensive
ashestostardust
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my parents are the sort who would rather pay more if something's convenient even if they can't budget it in. driving to a train station and doing paperwork in front of people needing to catch a damn train is oddly stressful. i didn't really have much of a choice.
(Original post by claireestelle)
it's really easy if you take your birth certificate and the form to a train station
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by novemberstorm)
Are there no cheaper flights from Belfast or even Dublin. What university open days are you looking at. Usually there ar cheaper flights with the likes of Flybe or Easy Jet if you book in advance.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ashestostardust)
my parents are the sort who would rather pay more if something's convenient even if they can't budget it in. driving to a train station and doing paperwork in front of people needing to catch a damn train is oddly stressful. i didn't really have much of a choice.
Do it alone?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads