Just finishing Teach First AMA Watch

Akbar2k7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Just finishing up my Teach First Program, as a Secondary Science Teacher.

Feel free to ask me any questions.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What do you think of it? Any regrets about choosing it?
Akbar2k7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
What do you think of it? Any regrets about choosing it?
It was very difficult, in hindsight I probably should have gotten into a different graduate scheme, but Teach First taught me a lot and I feel very prepared for my future job - which is a dream come true. I feel like Teach First is a badge of honour I can wear on my CV.

I feel like there a subset of students who's lives I have positively impacted and it does feel good. The Teaching profession itself however is deeply flawed if you are a STEM graduate or capable of pursuing something else. The pay the, the accountability, the lack of progression and downright malicious students who are coddled to obscene levels - make it exceedingly difficult. I was in a tough school but the problem is systemic and only getting worse.
butterflyxgarden
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Akbar2k7)

Hey!

I applied last night for English in the South East.

What's your greatest memory/break through moment when teaching in a classroom?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you drive?

What would be your top tips for applicants?

Did you want to go into teaching when you applied for Teach First or did you always intend to do it temporarily?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Do you plan to stay in teaching? Or are you literally, teaching first and then moving into another profession?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Akbar2k7
Rep:
?
(Original post by butterflyxgarden)
Hey!

I applied last night for English in the South East.

What's your greatest memory/break through moment when teaching in a classroom?
A few of my students mentioned that they wanted to do triple science because they enjoyed my lessons and how I relate science to the real world. These were bottom set students who would never be allowed to do triple science but the fact they considered it really humbled me.

I also helped a student who I personally lost faith in gain a grade 4 in GCSE, a Syrian refugee . This felt amazing because I kept them motivated and it paid off.
Akbar2k7
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Do you drive?

What would be your top tips for applicants?

Did you want to go into teaching when you applied for Teach First or did you always intend to do it temporarily?
Yes, outside of London its borderline necessary.

STAR technique all the way.

I was 50/50, but seeing the state of the education system for my personal ambitions teaching isn't where I want to be. It is quite sad, I am voting with my feet.
efiw09
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What were the biggest challenges you experienced?

How much work outside of school hours did you have to put in?

Is it worth doing even if you do not think you will want to teach long term?
searching123job
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What degree did you do and what career do you now have in mind?
Akbar2k7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Do you plan to stay in teaching? Or are you literally, teaching first and then moving into another profession?
I always wanted to keep my options open if I am honest and I knew Teach First is a juicy thing to have on my CV. I have gotten an offer at the Big 4 for a job that I am super excited about Teach First did help if I am honest. I just felt teaching is very pedantic and bureaucratic for all the wrong reasons. I wanted something technical with a better future for pay too.

I am from a dirt poor background myself, I am passionate about social mobility. Its still something I want to help with. I would personally focus on key pupils with passion drive and ability through coaching. I feel like teaching is a profession where too much effort is put into the wrong pupils, I hate that. The good kids getting sidelined and the bright kids getting a poor deal, it broke my heart. This problem is more prevalent in the schools serving poorer communities.
searching123job
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s difficult to find halal employment, bro. I personally stayed away from the big 4 and likes due to it.

I’m interested in data analyst roles and the likes, but it’s very difficult to find halal employment.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you think Teach First is a good thing for the students you're teaching?

Would you recommend Teach First to people who are pretty sure they want to go into teaching at the end of their training?

Do you think a different school where you had more freedom to teach how you wanted to would have helped you stay in teaching?
Akbar2k7
Rep:
?
(Original post by efiw09)
What were the biggest challenges you experienced?

How much work outside of school hours did you have to put in?

Is it worth doing even if you do not think you will want to teach long term?
Ridiculously asinine expectations, pupils who cant speak English being predicted 4's and 5's. Staff getting away with things they penalize you for. My mentor tried to say I was inconsistent and possibly messed my QTS, luckily I am a savage and had plenty of evidence, hence the University sided with me.

First year was ridiculous, way too much. By my NQT year i began to become more effective at finding out what was needed and what was pointless.

Yes and No, if you have ever considered teaching its not bad but honestly it looks really nice on your CV and I do feel like its developed me into a force to be reckoned with.
Akbar2k7
Rep:
?
(Original post by searching123job)
It’s difficult to find halal employment, bro. I personally stayed away from the big 4 and likes due to it.

I’m interested in data analyst roles and the likes, but it’s very difficult to find halal employment.
Really do not care, everything is haram our whole economic system is I want cash money and a prestigious job where I can make a difference. Its between me and God.
Akbar2k7
Rep:
?
(Original post by searching123job)
What degree did you do and what career do you now have in mind?
I did a Biology degree to masters level, I want to get into Fintech which I have.
searching123job
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Really do not care, everything is haram our whole economic system is I want cash money and a prestigious job where I can make a difference. Its between me and God.
You don’t care whether your financial sustenance comes from a pure, clean source?

Indeed, it may be difficult, but far from “everything” is haram. The halal means are there, although you may have to go through a bit more difficulty to get them.

Of course, I am not saying your job-to-be is not permissible, I do not know anything about it and I am not qualified to say so. But to turn around and say you do not care is quite profound. I would much rather be in a humle, low-paid job than one that appears to be more high-profile yet is not permissible.

It’s incredibly important to have a pure source of income. Otherwise, you are just fuelling everything you buy with that money with impurity, from the food you eat to the clothes you wear. How can you even give zakat or do hajj with wealth that is amassed in a wrong way?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads