The Student Room Group

Ugandan lesbian deported after sharing bed with man must be brought back

Thousands of pounds of taxpayers’ money is to be spent bringing a Ugandan lesbian asylum seeker back to the UK after she was discovered in bed with a man and deported.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ugandan-lesbian-deported-after-sleeping-with-man-must-be-brought-back-bbcw39c5s

It's all the caff's fault for stocking the Mail. :biggrin:

I'm not sure what this proves? Have you never heard of being bisexual?
Reply 2
Original post by James2312
I'm not sure what this proves? Have you never heard of being bisexual?

Put together with all the rest of evidence available, it proves the asylum system is a farce and that we've come to this point at the instigation of the legal vultures pecking at the carcass. It is obscene, to have billions of pounds of public money consumed by it. Now you'll argue that we have 'international obligations' and all the rest but it's still taking the piss, we also have a duty to the public purse and everyone in the country. Nobody has to flee Uganda for being a lesbian, we don't have to sponsor everyone claiming to be one. We do but shouldn't have to, it's beyond a joke.
Original post by z-hog
Put together with all the rest of evidence available, it proves the asylum system is a farce and that we've come to this point at the instigation of the legal vultures pecking at the carcass. It is obscene, to have billions of pounds of public money consumed by it. Now you'll argue that we have 'international obligations' and all the rest but it's still taking the piss, we also have a duty to the public purse and everyone in the country. Nobody has to flee Uganda for being a lesbian, we don't have to sponsor everyone claiming to be one. We do but shouldn't have to, it's beyond a joke.

Being gay or bisexual in Uganda leads to imprisonment and sometimes the death penalty.If she is lesbian then there is no doubt that she qualifies for asylum.As for the asylum system itself that's called basic humanity.And considering we're actually responsible for most of these colonial era laws which criminalise being gay we can hardly complain when it comes back to bite us on the ass.
Original post by z-hog

Sorry, but how is seeking asylum from a country where you could literally face life in prison for your sexuality 'a joke'?
Reply 5
Original post by shadowdweller
Sorry, but how is seeking asylum from a country where you could literally face life in prison for your sexuality 'a joke'?

Being gay or bisexual in Uganda leads to imprisonment and sometimes the death penalty.If she is lesbian then there is no doubt that she qualifies for asylum.As for the asylum system itself that's called basic humanity.And considering we're actually responsible for most of these colonial era laws which criminalise being gay we can hardly complain when it comes back to bite us on the ass.

I have nothing to argue 'against' you two, my concern is that the asylum system simply cannot carry on operating on that idealistic basis alone forever. Nobody has a problem with offering help to some people in the world but, in its present form and for quite a while, it is far too open to fraud and abuse of our charity. It would be fine without that element but it's futile to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Nothing wrong with letting the woman in for being a Ugandan Lesbian, that's not the issue. To follow that logic, there's nothing wrong with letting in everyone turning up at the border and claiming asylum for being gay in a place where that isn't a good thing to wear with pride. That already happens, many of the Iranians picked up in the English channel invoke the same consideration. In fact, there's nothing wrong with letting in millions of people on various grounds, to open a case file for each one of them, provide them with food and shelter for years until their cases make it all the way to the Euro courts if necessary. What's wrong with that, they're all people in need of help. That may become an issue at some point.

Besides, the woman has been returned to Uganda and nothing much seems to have happened as a consequence. That desperate, really?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by z-hog
I have nothing to argue 'against' you two, my concern is that the asylum system simply cannot carry on operating on that idealistic basis alone forever. Nobody has a problem with offering help to some people in the world but, in its present form and for quite a while, it is far too open to fraud and abuse of our charity. It would be fine without that element but it's futile to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Nothing wrong with letting the woman in for being a Ugandan Lesbian, that's not the issue. To follow that logic, there's nothing wrong with letting in everyone turning up at the border and claiming asylum for being gay in a place where that isn't a good thing to wear with pride. That already happens, many of the Iranians picked up in the English channel invoke the same consideration. In fact, there's nothing wrong with letting in millions of people on various grounds, to open a case file for each one of them, provide them with food and shelter for years until their cases make it all the way to the Euro courts if necessary. What's wrong with that, they're all people in need of help. That may become an issue at some point.

Besides, the woman has been returned to Uganda and nothing much seems to have happened as a consequence. That desperate, really?

I agree, there is no issue with helping those in need - though I disagree that it will become an issue at some point. Even if it does, preventing immigration/asylum seeking here doesn't solve the 'issue' it just passes it on elsewhere; actually trying to aid in improving the situation where these people are trying to escape from seems much more beneficial imo.

It's worth noting that the repercussions for someone whose story is prominent in the media are likely to be less severe than for those who are not; I would suggest looking into other stories in Uganda before assuming there will be no issues for people there.
Reply 7
What a spectacular waste of tax payers money.

With that being said, as i refuse to pay to read this, how exactly did they catch her getting rogered by this chappy?! I just have this image of someone from immigration parasailing through the window.
Reply 8
Original post by Napp
With that being said, as i refuse to pay to read this, how exactly did they catch her getting rogered by this chappy?! I just have this image of someone from immigration parasailing through the window.

They'd gone round her place because her visa had expired and to inform her she was being deported, found a bloke in bed and she says it's because she wanted a baby only. Presumably, this took place on council accommodation. We'll see how the second hearing goes, once she is brought back and accommodated again.
Reply 9
Being gay or bisexual in Uganda leads to imprisonment and sometimes the death penalty.

Can*
If she is lesbian then there is no doubt that she qualifies for asylum.

I'm sure a lot of people qualify for aslyum, in theory, but does that really mean we must open ones doors to the world and all that?

As for the asylum system itself that's called basic humanity.

How so?
And considering we're actually responsible for most of these colonial era laws which criminalise being gay we can hardly complain when it comes back to bite us on the ass.

Doesnt that presuppose such countries wouldnt have taken a dim view on gays on their own? Something which there is every chance they would have done..
Original post by Napp
What a spectacular waste of tax payers money.

Binoculars, dear chap.

Oh behave, don’t blame the British Empire for a country have barbaric laws after we left.
Original post by Andrew97
Binoculars, dear chap.

Oh behave, don’t blame the British Empire for a country have barbaric laws after we left.

That's literally what happened.A lot of countries were fairly tolerant of gay people until we came along and imposed our buggery laws upon them.Thats historical fact.
Original post by Napp
Can*

I'm sure a lot of people qualify for aslyum, in theory, but does that really mean we must open ones doors to the world and all that?

How so?

Doesnt that presuppose such countries wouldnt have taken a dim view on gays on their own? Something which there is every chance they would have done..

Maybe.But some were tolerant of gays until we colonised them.It often does lead to imprisonment.

It's not a matter of collecting every single person who qualifies for asylum from Africa.This woman was already here claiming asylum which she has every right to do by law.The government then wrongly deported her under the fast track system.So the government is clearly at fault by law.
Reply 13
Maybe.But some were tolerant of gays until we colonised them.It often does lead to imprisonment.

It sometimes does..
Yes but so were many countries, until they werent.

It's not a matter of collecting every single person who qualifies for asylum from Africa.This woman was already here claiming asylum which she has every right to do by law.The government then wrongly deported her under the fast track system.So the government is clearly at fault by law.

Yes but then, according to prima facie evidence, she was claiming asylum under false pretences... i mean claiming to be a lesbian and then being caught with a mans literal fingers in the errr cookie jar would seem to be rather damning evidence to the contrary, no?
Original post by Napp
It sometimes does..
Yes but so were many countries, until they werent.

Yes but then, according to prima facie evidence, she was claiming asylum under false pretences... i mean claiming to be a lesbian and then being caught with a mans literal fingers in the errr cookie jar would seem to be rather damning evidence to the contrary, no?

Not really.I'm sure bisexuality would be criminalized just as much in Uganda.In that sort of society it probably wouldn't even be a matter of going to the courts.I've heard of people been attacked by mobs for less.Also sleeping with a man doesn't even exclude being a lesbian.Plenty of gay men have got married to women only to later discover they were gay.From what I heard they didn't actually give her any time to provide evidence that she was a lesbian and just rejected her case out of hand.

Sometimes even that's not enough.There was a case in Sweden recently where the bloke was claiming asylum for being gay and had loads of photos to prove it as well as being in a relationship but was still rejected somehow.
The bottom line is we are a civilised society which has a legal framework and If her earlier deportation was unjust (which it appears like) then the UK government has a duty to rectify that. This is not the same as flying any at risk individual from across the world to the UK but a person who had legitimate asylum status within the UK
Original post by z-hog
Reply 16
Original post by greatmonte
This is not the same as flying any at risk individual from across the world to the UK but a person who had legitimate asylum status within the UK.

She had no legitimate claim, that was never declared. She claims to be gay and persecuted for it, as much as thousands of people on earth can claim to open up a file. She must be brought back to finish the process for the sake of law upholding in this country and it is quite possible that the final decision will be that she has no legitimate claim and must be deported. Then she can appeal that and so on, not out of her own pocket but thanks to British generosity and values. This is an unworkable system that no politician would dare to touch anymore than the sustainability of the NHS, knowing full well they'd be smothered with the emotion blanket by all the vested interests gaining from it. The more they earn, the more vicious the reaction.
Yes we should always follow due process.

If we don't we face a bigger risk than fake lesbian Ugandans.
Original post by z-hog
She had no legitimate claim, that was never declared. She claims to be gay and persecuted for it, as much as thousands of people on earth can claim to open up a file. She must be brought back to finish the process for the sake of law upholding in this country and it is quite possible that the final decision will be that she has no legitimate claim and must be deported. Then she can appeal that and so on, not out of her own pocket but thanks to British generosity and values. This is an unworkable system that no politician would dare to touch anymore than the sustainability of the NHS, knowing full well they'd be smothered with the emotion blanket by all the vested interests gaining from it. The more they earn, the more vicious the reaction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending