Cat going outside Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My parents want to start letting our 5month old cat outside. I am very against this as our last cat was an outdoor cat and got ran over right outside my house as we live on a busy road. When we got her, we decided she would be indoor but now they want to let her out because they think its "cruel" keeping her in.I really dont want to loose her but my parents say it's either let her outside (where there are loads of main roads) or ger rid of her ((
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Does the cat want to go outside? If it’s pawing at the window or meowing to get out, you could consider a few options.

1) You could let the cat out only during the day when you’re around (like my cats)
2) if you have a garden, try cat proofing it to allow it to come and go only in the confines of your garden
3) try getting it more toys to keep it entertained.

If the cat has no interest in going outside then it’s not cruel. Cats just need plenty of things to keep them entertained.
(Original post by Anonymous)
My parents want to start letting our 5month old cat outside. I am very against this as our last cat was an outdoor cat and got ran over right outside my house as we live on a busy road. When we got her, we decided she would be indoor but now they want to let her out because they think its "cruel" keeping her in.I really dont want to loose her but my parents say it's either let her outside (where there are loads of main roads) or ger rid of her ((
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You have a couple of options that I can think of. Some of them are more reasonable than others and a lot of it depends on your situation and your cat.

1) Let it out (you can give it a reflective collar)
2) Keep it in (you can give it shelves, cubby holes and toys to keep it entertained)
3) Use a leash and take it for walks, let it in the garden etc (you will need to gradually introduce it so it doesn't freak out- cats like being in control)
4) Use a mesh structure to give it a place in the garden to get fresh air, but not roam around

If your cat isn't making it clear that it wants to go outside (meowing at doors or windows, trying to dart out etc) then honestly there's no need to let it out. You can put netting on windows so you can keep them open without it wandering out and you can give it loads of fun things inside to play with.

If it is making it obvious that it wants to go out then you should really give it some way to go out. The easiest is just to let it out. I know you had a very upsetting experience with your last cat, but if this cat wants to go out and you don't let it then it is cruel. Imagine if you were never allowed outside for your whole life.

You can also give it a run outside thats attached to a window or door. It doesn't give it a free run outside which is a bit unpleasant for it, but it does keep it safe while giving it fresh air. Another issue with that is that it can be expensive and take up space that you might not want taken up in your garden.

Another option is to take it out on a leash- like with a dog. Cats don't really get on with not being in control so you would need to introduce it very slowly to the harness and leash (you can find advice on that online). If it does warm up to the idea it would mean you can take it out for walks and leave it out in the garden to roam around. You would need to make sure it didn't get itself stuck in trees, had a place to sit in the shade, drink, eat etc while it is outside. That relies on your cat accepting the leash, but is inexpensive and does let your cat explore without the same risks. Again it isn't true freedom to roam, but it's better than being stuck inside if it wants to go out. This is probably the option your parents would be most likely to accept as an alternative to letting it out.

Any option where you restrict outside time would require netting over windows or keeping them shut all the time. Your cat will not know it isn't allowed outside so will just wander out if you give it a chance and if it doesn't often go out it will be at more risk of getting hurt or lost because it doesn't know what it's meant to do.

I hope that helps. At the end of the day there will always be some risk. Being a pet owner is hard sometimes because you can't always keep your pet safe and sometimes you need to make hard decisions about it's happiness and its safety.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kindred)
You have a couple of options that I can think of. Some of them are more reasonable than others and a lot of it depends on your situation and your cat.

1) Let it out (you can give it a reflective collar)
2) Keep it in (you can give it shelves, cubby holes and toys to keep it entertained)
3) Use a leash and take it for walks, let it in the garden etc (you will need to gradually introduce it so it doesn't freak out- cats like being in control)
4) Use a mesh structure to give it a place in the garden to get fresh air, but not roam around

If your cat isn't making it clear that it wants to go outside (meowing at doors or windows, trying to dart out etc) then honestly there's no need to let it out. You can put netting on windows so you can keep them open without it wandering out and you can give it loads of fun things inside to play with.

If it is making it obvious that it wants to go out then you should really give it some way to go out. The easiest is just to let it out. I know you had a very upsetting experience with your last cat, but if this cat wants to go out and you don't let it then it is cruel. Imagine if you were never allowed outside for your whole life.

You can also give it a run outside thats attached to a window or door. It doesn't give it a free run outside which is a bit unpleasant for it, but it does keep it safe while giving it fresh air. Another issue with that is that it can be expensive and take up space that you might not want taken up in your garden.

Another option is to take it out on a leash- like with a dog. Cats don't really get on with not being in control so you would need to introduce it very slowly to the harness and leash (you can find advice on that online). If it does warm up to the idea it would mean you can take it out for walks and leave it out in the garden to roam around. You would need to make sure it didn't get itself stuck in trees, had a place to sit in the shade, drink, eat etc while it is outside. That relies on your cat accepting the leash, but is inexpensive and does let your cat explore without the same risks. Again it isn't true freedom to roam, but it's better than being stuck inside if it wants to go out. This is probably the option your parents would be most likely to accept as an alternative to letting it out.

Any option where you restrict outside time would require netting over windows or keeping them shut all the time. Your cat will not know it isn't allowed outside so will just wander out if you give it a chance and if it doesn't often go out it will be at more risk of getting hurt or lost because it doesn't know what it's meant to do.

I hope that helps. At the end of the day there will always be some risk. Being a pet owner is hard sometimes because you can't always keep your pet safe and sometimes you need to make hard decisions about it's happiness and its safety.
thank you. my parents sometimes leave the balcony door open and she goes out on there.
Anonymous #1
Does the cat want to go outside? If it’s pawing at the window or meowing to get out, you could consider a few options.

1) You could let the cat out only during the day when you’re around (like my cats)
2) if you have a garden, try cat proofing it to allow it to come and go only in the confines of your garden
3) try getting it more toys to keep it entertained.

If the cat has no interest in going outside then it’s not cruel. Cats just need plenty of things to keep them entertained.
she doesn't try to get out but she sometimes goes out on the balcony for a bit if my parents are there to get some air
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's not cruel to keep a cat inside as long as they have enough room to run around in and enough toys and things to keep them occupied. If your parents really do want her to go outside then look at getting a cat jacket, it's like a leash but fits around their bodies and you attach a lead to it so there's less pressure on their necks. It may take a while to get her used to it and you'll probably have to do it in stages, i.e putting it on her inside undone, then putting it on her inside but done up, then letting her outside with it, but being so young she should adjust okay.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
It's not cruel to keep a cat inside as long as they have enough room to run around in and enough toys and things to keep them occupied. If your parents really do want her to go outside then look at getting a cat jacket, it's like a leash but fits around their bodies and you attach a lead to it so there's less pressure on their necks. It may take a while to get her used to it and you'll probably have to do it in stages, i.e putting it on her inside undone, then putting it on her inside but done up, then letting her outside with it, but being so young she should adjust okay.
thanks 🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads