Which is better for note taking in lectures? Watch

hobicorn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Is it more effective to take notes using a laptop or to use paper? Is it worth taking a laptop to each lecture? What method of note taking works best?
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hobicorn)
Is it more effective to take notes using a laptop or to use paper? Is it worth taking a laptop to each lecture? What method of note taking works best?
Depends on your course. If you're doing a STEM based course, then paper is best as equations and diagram are generally involved in lectures. Any other subject that require a lot of note taking, then a laptop or tablet is good but its more to do with your preference really.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Paper unless you're doing something that requires intensive notes, even then I would do it on paper and revisit the lecture online (video or powerpoint) and take the notes missed from there. With paper you're actual using your mind, with a laptop it doesn't process in your mind since most people blindly type. In the long term you will gain more from paper notes.

I think people who sit with their laptops copying everything on the presentation and stuff into a word document are wasting their time, this information probably won't sink in, you don't need most of it and you're basically copying and pasting but faking the productivity by typing it out yourself, so you're being counter productive trying to fool yourself.
keptinside
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Get a recorder, focus on what’s being said, write the main points and unwritten details. Take a shot of the board or slides or reference. When you’re home. Play the record, you’ll remember everything.

You get picture of the board, slides or reference. You got extra unwritten details written in your notes. And you got the recorder for whatever you miss.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
EyestriX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Laptop
Humz007
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What's the point of even writing/typing notes
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 week ago
lots of people use laptops but i think it has more to do out of habit or comfort, or so they can check their facebook.

you don't need to take notes verbatim. write down key words and ideas they leave off the lecture notes. what subject you studying?
hobicorn
Rep:
?
I was going to ask about recording but I wasn't sure if it was allowed in lectures or not.. are you able to record on your phone without needing permission?
(Original post by keptinside)
Get a recorder, focus on what’s being said, write the main points and unwritten details. Take a shot of the board or slides or reference. When you’re home. Play the record, you’ll remember everything.

You get picture of the board, slides or reference. You got extra unwritten details written in your notes. And you got the recorder for whatever you miss.
hobicorn
Rep:
?
I'll be studying Zoology in September, fingers crossed haha thanks for the advice!
(Original post by Joleee)
lots of people use laptops but i think it has more to do out of habit or comfort, or so they can check their facebook.

you don't need to take notes verbatim. write down key words and ideas they leave off the lecture notes. what subject you studying?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The research says handwriting is better for retention.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was going to ask about recording but I wasn't sure if it was allowed in lectures or not.. are you able to record on your phone without needing permission?
No, you need permission.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I personally prefer using my laptop. The lecture slides are uploaded online before the lecture, so I open them on my laptop and then make notes on anything extra the lecturer says in the notes section for that slide. Saves me having to write out absolutely everything, and prevents me from missing out any key information that they say.
keptinside
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yea, none is going to tell you what you’re doing lol. Just grab your phone, put it on your wallet and record
hobicorn
Rep:
?
It's probably best to make sure I'm allowed to record before doing it, since there are two contradicting posts aha. On a side note, does anyone know of any apps that allow you to make notes and annotate on PDF documents? Or any other useful apps for university revision and note taking?
Herts UG Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Like others have said, it depends on your course. As an engineering student, I prefer to use a tablet to type for more wordy subjects (such as Operations Management) and use Pen/Paper when it comes to modules which contain a lot of diagrams and calculations (such as thermodynamics or fluid mechanics).

Several interesting studies have taken place on the effectiveness of each medium. Research shows that students who take handwritten lecture notes generally retain more information. This is thought to be due to the the mind having to process the information in more depth when handwriting, as well as the movement of pen on paper creating spatial relations on the information you are recording! :eek:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...decline-typing
https://www.psychologicalscience.org...te-taking.html
https://www.pens.com/blog/the-benefi...ing-vs-typing/
mackers_ire
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Over the years I've used a variety of methods, settling on OneNote on a laptop for lectures that DON'T have the slides uploaded before, and using PDF Draw on a tablet with pen to write notes by hand on the saved lecture slides. The latter is my preferred method (ease of use, electronic storing and sharing, and better able to listen rather than typing) but it relies upon a well-prepared lecturer uploading stuff before class lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.7%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.56%
No I am happy with my course choice (456)
58.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.82%

Watched Threads