Trump now attacking UK Government Watch

999tigger
Badges: 19
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Youd think people couldnt mess things up any more but how can the UK government fail so miserably in its handling of a situation.

Ambassador says some honest but unflattering things about Trump. He is a diplomat and those comments were meant for private eyes. Its hard to say he should never have said them because you can bet the US says exactly the same when reporting to Washington, but for some reason the communications were leaked. I would think by some party who wishes to cause trouble between the UK and US. It worked.

The ambassador didnt do anything wrong, but now May has spoken up for him, which means they have 100% messed up in their assessment of the situation.

Trump is a child with a monstrous ego, but also the most powerful man in the world. Any sleight is about him and will be taken personally, he doesnt let anything brush over. He works himself up into a tantrum. His ego comes before international relations.

At this stage the UK should have sent some sort of special envoy and withdrawn the ambassador. The UK comes before the ambassador.

May should not have backed him in the way she did, but should have figured out a way of reassuring the US.
Now May leaves US/ UK relations in a shambles which is unforgivable.

We now have Trump directly attacking the UK, which is crazy unpresidential behaviour to do to your greatest ally.
He is a liability, child, unstatesmanlike president and he should pack it in. He can do it behind closed doors. It is all utterly ridiculous and there are more important matter of nations they should all be focusing on than some twitter war. Crazy behaviour and they both need to grow up, but especially Trump.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Perfect for the UK to agree a great trade deal with the USA once Brexit happens since we have such a special relationship.
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Darroch has stated that Trump radiates insecurity. Trump's hissy fit response only highlights how accurate this description is.

Other content in the cables such as the infighting and bickering in the White House only confirms what has already been reported in the press over the last few years.
the beer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Sounds like a dead cat
Glaz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by the beer)
Sounds like a dead cat
Um.... the bear is this a relative of yours?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Attacking specific members of government is entirely different, nice spin though, perhaps Microsoft has a job opening for you.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Not really attacking the UK, if I remember correctly he still admires the UK from his tweets, he is attacking some members of the UK government
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
He doesn't tolerate those sharing opinions out of their remit. He is disrespectful as an ambassador and should be replaced.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It would only be a problem if May was staying in post. Since she's leaving, she can say the Ambassador has her support and it doesn't mean anything.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Um.... the bear is this a relative of yours?
yes it's Naughty Uncle

:emo:
James2312
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Jebedee)
He doesn't tolerate those sharing opinions out of their remit. He is disrespectful as an ambassador and should be replaced.
Not really.Its his job to provide an accurate assessment of the trump administration.He did that.Privately I might add.Its not his fault that the truth hurts.
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You may wish to educate yourself about the function of the Diplomatic Service. Then you'll realise that not only is it within his remit, but it is a vital part of his remit.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by James2312)
Not really.Its his job to provide an accurate assessment of the trump administration.He did that.Privately I might add.Its not his fault that the truth hurts.
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
You may wish to educate yourself about the function of the Diplomatic Service. Then you'll realise that not only is it within his remit, but it is a vital part of his remit.
Calling him inept constitutes a subjective opinion, not a detailed assessment. If you think his comments foster a good relationship with the US then that's your opinion. I'm sure if they wanted a CNN pundit as an ambassador they would have asked for one.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
Perfect for the UK to agree a great trade deal with the USA once Brexit happens since we have such a special relationship.
This is sarcasm right?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Trump has never heard of this guy before, he now tells us, but he knows he never liked him. He never knew him the same way he never met his previous campaign manager, his personal lawyer, the Russian mafiosi who advanced loans to his businesses, the girls who did strange things to him in Moscow hotels, Jeffrey Epstein, etc, etc, etc.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Trump is a child with a monstrous ego, but also the most powerful man in the world. Any sleight is about him and will be taken personally,
I do wonder now about this part. If you consistently show that you have zero judgement, that your sole interest is self-enrichment and self-promotion and winning the next election at absolutely any cost, if you lose the respect of all intelligent people - are you still 'powerful'? Or are you the emperor with no clothes?
ukrj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Trump is only saying what the vast majority of us think anyway. PM May is a disaster and that ambassador could have used more diplomatic language to convey his sentiments. We will soon be rid of PM May although she should have gone when we first rejected her EU surrender deal. Any that ambassador should have resigned due to "wishing to spend more time with family".

Bottom line: I'm with Trump on this.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If trump not knowing the ambassador is true, then that is wrong. The president should at least know the ambassador.

That being said Darroch did nothing wrong, just did his job. The main wrongdoer here is the leaker.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
If trump not knowing the ambassador is true, then that is wrong. The president should at least know the ambassador.

That being said Darroch did nothing wrong, just did his job. The main wrongdoer here is the leaker.
He's met Darroch at least eight times, probably more. Trump has been a frequent guest at British Embassy functions in DC.
James2312
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Calling him inept constitutes a subjective opinion, not a detailed assessment. If you think his comments foster a good relationship with the US then that's your opinion. I'm sure if they wanted a CNN pundit as an ambassador they would have asked for one.
What would you have him do? Lie through his teeth about how competent the government is? If he's inept then he's inept.No need to sugarcoat it.These comments were not meant for trumps ears but our governments ears.Its useful for governments to know how competent other governments are.

As for relationships.......Trump will be gone soon.Perhaps the next US president won't be so thin skinned.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads