So what now? Watch

LittleX
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
#1
Not that I'm trying to be annoying, I'm just really nervous.

As far as I know, if I won't hear back from Universities by Thursday my applications will be automatically rejected, right?

I was trying to transfer credits over to a different university and I am still waiting for a decision from Edge Hill and Bangor (Bangor is my first choice). The way Edge Hill is communicating with me is really, really weird to say at least. Two people are communicating with me but for some reason, they pretend they don't know about each other and they want different additional information from me while ignoring what I already provided or said to first one.

Anyway, Bangor is more important to me as this was my first choice. After emailing them all the information they needed from my uni, module mapping, etc. they told me they would be able to offer me a place and although they said I still have time to apply, they advised me to apply as soon as possible to be able to sort accommodation, etc., but they are ignoring me since then. I emailed them twice to make sure they got my references, transcript, etc. and no answer. I called them last Thursday and they said they are doing module mapping but the time is running out right?


So what if I won't get any answer from them? I do have one offer which was probably my second best choice, but if I would want to wait for Bangor I would have to reject this one and if I would get no offer from Bangor after all, I would be s.... right?
0
reply
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#2
Report 1 week ago
#2
I can see why this is stressful for you!

I would call Bangor again today or tomorrow, and ask what's holding them up and when they expect to have a place available.

If you don't get a decision from Bangor by Thursday, I would initially accept the place that you have, assuming you would be happy to go there. I would then contact Bangor, and explain that you are still interested in a place with them, and ask if they are able to continue processing your application- but explain that you are going to hold on to the place you have for now to avoid ending up with nothing. If Bangor are able to offer you a place, you should be able to decline the place you have and add/accept a different one still via clearing.

But hopefully if you remind Bangor of the approaching deadline they will get their act together.
0
reply
LittleX
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
#3
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
#3
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I can see why this is stressful for you!

I would call Bangor again today or tomorrow, and ask what's holding them up and when they expect to have a place available.

If you don't get a decision from Bangor by Thursday, I would initially accept the place that you have, assuming you would be happy to go there. I would then contact Bangor, and explain that you are still interested in a place with them, and ask if they are able to continue processing your application- but explain that you are going to hold on to the place you have for now to avoid ending up with nothing. If Bangor are able to offer you a place, you should be able to decline the place you have and add/accept a different one still via clearing.

But hopefully if you remind Bangor of the approaching deadline they will get their act together.
thank you for trying to help me and your suggestions.

I just spoke with them and they told me it's with an admission officer and she is trying to make a decision as quickly as possible... I told him that the deadline is tomorrow and he said 'She knows about that and hopefully you will get it by tomorrow and it won't be automatically rejected...'
0
reply
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#4
Report 1 week ago
#4
(Original post by LittleX)
thank you for trying to help me and your suggestions.

I just spoke with them and they told me it's with an admission officer and she is trying to make a decision as quickly as possible... I told him that the deadline is tomorrow and he said 'She knows about that and hopefully you will get it by tomorrow and it won't be automatically rejected...'
Ugh, that's annoying.

I guess you just have to see what happens tomorrow, and then contact the uni again on Friday if you don't have a decision.
0
reply
LittleX
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
#5
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
#5
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Ugh, that's annoying.

I guess you just have to see what happens tomorrow, and then contact the uni again on Friday if you don't have a decision.
Maybe the universe is telling me not to go there and accept the offer I already have from my second best choice... I guess the only way I could possibly accept Bangor is via clearing but I would have to decline the offer I already have to be able to do it, right?

I don't know if it would be a very smart move because Bangor could give me a mambo-jumbo conditional offer and I could end up without place, I have 240 credits from a different university, trying to transfer 120 but Northumbria is asking me to take an IELTS test.
0
reply
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#6
Report 1 week ago
#6
(Original post by LittleX)
Maybe the universe is telling me not to go there and accept the offer I already have from my second best choice... I guess the only way I could possibly accept Bangor is via clearing but I would have to decline the offer I already have to be able to do it, right?

I don't know if it would be a very smart move because Bangor could give me a mambo-jumbo conditional offer and I could end up without place, I have 240 credits from a different university, trying to transfer 120 but Northumbria is asking me to take an IELTS test.
Unis can only offer unconditional offers via clearing- so if Bangor wanted to take you after this, they'd need to give you an unconditional offer. You would have to decline your current offer, but in this scenario, I'd expect something in writing from Bangor before you did so.

However, if you've changed your mind due to the way you've been treated, then that totally makes sense.
0
reply
LittleX
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
#7
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
#7
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Unis can only offer unconditional offers via clearing- so if Bangor wanted to take you after this, they'd need to give you an unconditional offer. You would have to decline your current offer, but in this scenario, I'd expect something in writing from Bangor before you did so.

However, if you've changed your mind due to the way you've been treated, then that totally makes sense.
Thank you, I didn't know that. How would be able to transfer credits with an unconditional offer though? I got a conditional offer (not from Bangor) but the condition says I need 120 credits to be accepted into the second year, which makes sense, right?

I will most likely try to call them tomorrow around midday. Even though I do understand they can be busy, I applied on time and I see no reason why I should risk my chances because they are not even able to confirm me they received my references, but I may regret this because I really wanted to go there as I heard Bangor is a good university and they have lots of equipment, etc. Well, never mind... :cry2:
0
reply
yass in
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#8
Report 1 week ago
#8
hi
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
0
reply
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#9
Report 1 week ago
#9
(Original post by LittleX)
Thank you, I didn't know that. How would be able to transfer credits with an unconditional offer though? I got a conditional offer (not from Bangor) but the condition says I need 120 credits to be accepted into the second year, which makes sense, right?

I will most likely try to call them tomorrow around midday. Even though I do understand they can be busy, I applied on time and I see no reason why I should risk my chances because they are not even able to confirm me they received my references, but I may regret this because I really wanted to go there as I heard Bangor is a good university and they have lots of equipment, etc. Well, never mind... :cry2:
Are your results from this year not yet confirmed? If they aren't, you'd probably have to wait until they come through to be given an unconditional offer.

I don't think there's any harm in ringing them tomorrow to see what the situation is. Personally, if you can, I would try to get through to the decision maker/admissions tutor if you can tomorrow.
0
reply
LittleX
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
#10
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
#10
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Are your results from this year not yet confirmed? If they aren't, you'd probably have to wait until they come through to be given an unconditional offer.

I don't think there's any harm in ringing them tomorrow to see what the situation is. Personally, if you can, I would try to get through to the decision maker/admissions tutor if you can tomorrow.
I did 120 last year and was trying to do another 120 credits this year, but I had to defer from one of the 60-credit modules, so I have 120 credit with a results and 60 credits without results but Bangor and others told me they would offer me a place upon passing level 4 - which I did.
0
reply
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#11
Report 1 week ago
#11
(Original post by LittleX)
I did 120 last year and was trying to do another 120 credits this year, but I had to defer from one of the 60-credit modules, so I have 120 credit with a results and 60 credits without results but Bangor and others told me they would offer me a place upon passing level 4 - which I did.
Then your offers would all be unconditional once a university has a copy of your transcript.
0
reply
LittleX
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
#12
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
#12
(Original post by PQ)
Then your offers would all be unconditional once a university has a copy of your transcript.
I sent them my transcript and everything else more than a month ago. After module mapping, I got an email saying they would be able to offer me a place and direct entry into year two if I submit my official UCAS application but no progress or communication since then.

I think I screwed up because if I wouldn't submit my application on 30th of June on last minute because of Northumbria or I wouldn't put there my 'secure' option, I could go thru clearing and still have time.
0
reply
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#13
Report 1 week ago
#13
(Original post by LittleX)
I sent them my transcript and everything else more than a month ago. After module mapping, I got an email saying they would be able to offer me a place and direct entry into year two if I submit my official UCAS application but no progress or communication since then.

I think I screwed up because if I wouldn't submit my application on 30th of June on last minute because of Northumbria or I wouldn't put there my 'secure' option, I could go thru clearing and still have time.
You still have time. If Bangor don't meet the deadline it will be clear on UCAS (it will say "Reject by Default" not just reject). It is possible for universities to amend this if they missed the deadline due to genuine delays/errors.

Basically wait until tomorrow - then ring Bangor first thing if you have a RBD decision on Track (and send through your email from them promising an offer for direct entry - they should honour it).

You have until next Thursday for Bangor to sort themselves out before you "have" to accept your other offer (and if Bangor suddenly realise after that they messed up then you can get put back into Clearing to go back to them).
0
reply
LittleX
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
#14
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
#14
(Original post by PQ)
You still have time. If Bangor don't meet the deadline it will be clear on UCAS (it will say "Reject by Default" not just reject). It is possible for universities to amend this if they missed the deadline due to genuine delays/errors.

Basically wait until tomorrow - then ring Bangor first thing if you have a RBD decision on Track (and send through your email from them promising an offer for direct entry - they should honour it).

You have until next Thursday for Bangor to sort themselves out before you "have" to accept your other offer (and if Bangor suddenly realise after that they messed up then you can get put back into Clearing to go back to them).
Thank you, I would be lost without help here. I will do that, although it is kind of making me change my priorities and order of my choices because I sent an email to Bangor 14 days ago and no answer, I had to call them three times already and on the other hand, my second best choice may not be one of the top unis according to uni league tables (but they do have a great student reviews) and they are really supportive.

Anyway, thank you again for your support and help and I will wait until tomorrow.
0
reply
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#15
Report 1 week ago
#15
(Original post by LittleX)
Thank you, I would be lost without help here. I will do that, although it is kind of making me change my priorities and order of my choices because I sent an email to Bangor 14 days ago and no answer, I had to call them three times already and on the other hand, my second best choice may not be one of the top unis according to uni league tables (but they do have a great student reviews) and they are really supportive.

Anyway, thank you again for your support and help and I will wait until tomorrow.
It’s difficult for smaller universities like bangor. This time of year is the only window for some staff to take holiday but it can cause problems for cases like yours (either because someone who needs to approve something is away or because the staff still around are dealing with extra work).

Keep pestering but don’t panic!
1
reply
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#16
Report 1 week ago
#16
(Original post by LittleX)
I did 120 last year and was trying to do another 120 credits this year, but I had to defer from one of the 60-credit modules, so I have 120 credit with a results and 60 credits without results but Bangor and others told me they would offer me a place upon passing level 4 - which I did.
You've been given some great advice on this thread, but basically all you can do is stay in touch with Bangor and see what they eventually offer you.

I wouldn't decline the place you have until Bangor give you a firm offer in writing, but due to UCAS' new "decline your place" feature, you should be able to switch at any time.

However, if you decide you prefer the uni you have an offer from after all, that's fine too!
0
reply
LittleX
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
#17
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
#17
Thank you, it really did help me a lot otherwise I would be lost. I got an offer from Bangor yesterday so now I just have to decide if it's really my best choice
0
reply
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#18
Report 6 days ago
#18
(Original post by LittleX)
Thank you, it really did help me a lot otherwise I would be lost. I got an offer from Bangor yesterday so now I just have to decide if it's really my best choice
Brilliant news

Take the weekend and do something completely different and then come back to make the decision next week:yes:
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads

View All