parnian.sattar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I want to study law in British university and i dont know what subject should i choose in A level .please help me
ashestostardust
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Humanities (History, Geography, Politics etc) and English Literature especially tend to be really good starting points. Look at university websites and look at the subject requirements! Generally, however, from what I've gauged law tends to be quite open in terms of A Level choices. Do what you're good at and do what you love.
parnian.sattar
Rep:
?
thanks . i visited oxford uni and it doesnt recommended anything special and i decided to choose math and physics and history and english lit but i dont know how different beetween english lit and english . please help me if you know .
(Original post by ashestostardust)
Humanities (History, Geography, Politics etc) and English Literature especially tend to be really good starting points. Look at university websites and look at the subject requirements! Generally, however, from what I've gauged law tends to be quite open in terms of A Level choices. Do what you're good at and do what you love.
ashestostardust
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
English Literature - plays, poems, novels
English = English Language - accents, representations, how children learn language, how english has changed over time
(Original post by parnian.sattar)
thanks . i visited oxford uni and it doesnt recommended anything special and i decided to choose math and physics and history and english lit but i dont know how different beetween english lit and english . please help me if you know .
parnian.sattar
Rep:
?
thanks. for law is better to choose english or english lit ?
English Literature - plays, poems, novels
English = English Language - accents, representations, how children learn language, how english has changed over time
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
thanks. for law is better to choose english or english lit ?
English Lit is considered harder and therefore, for competitive unis, better
parnian.sattar
Rep:
?
how will be the exam of english lit ? how many hours will english lit take in the week if i finish it in one year?
ashestostardust
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Coursework aside, in terms of exams, you're looking at two 2.5 hour papers comparing around 5ish texts. English Lit is difficult and can't just be learned like a science subject. You have to read around! I am on the OCR course and most of the exams consist of comparative essays between 2 texts and commentaries on passages given to you.
how will be the exam of english lit ? how many hours will english lit take in the week if i finish it in one year?
parnian.sattar
Rep:
?
thank you !
Coursework aside, in terms of exams, you're looking at two 2.5 hour papers comparing around 5ish texts. English Lit is difficult and can't just be learned like a science subject. You have to read around! I am on the OCR course and most of the exams consist of comparative essays between 2 texts and commentaries on passages given to you.
inspiringcolours
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
English literature is definitely difficult but also worthwhile. It is the analytical and argumentative skills you are required to demonstrate that are invaluable in the context of law.
On Edexcel, you have a comparative piece of coursework and three other papers adding up to a total of 6 hours of exams. It would be extremely difficult to do in a year purely due to the demanding nature of the course, especially in terms of the skills required.
HZXHZX
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
anything! uni does not have any requirement for these subject. however my teachers have all said, university do like to see essay based subjects for a levels ALSO law a level is good to set up a foundation for studying !
clockwork30
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
History, Politics and English Literature would be a good choice.

One of my friends who is now studying Law took History, English Lit and Maths. Maths was her personal choice as she loved it. Doing History is quite important I think. For arguments/critical analysis English Lit comes in handy. The third subject is entirely up to you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.36%
No (210)
76.64%

Watched Threads