Struggling to eat Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
At the moment, I am having days where I'm really struggling to eat. It usually happens when I'm worrying about something which I guess is normal but I will feel so sick and if I do eat anything then I sometimes make myself gag and sick by doing so. I don't know if its just normal nerves or if there is something wrong - has anyone else experienced this? It usually occurs in the morning and if I do manage to eat something then I'm fine for the rest of the day but its like I work myself up - its really affecting me, especially as next year I have exams coming up and don't want to be feeling really sick when I'm nervous.
I am going to the doctors about it soon but just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
At the moment, I am having days where I'm really struggling to eat. It usually happens when I'm worrying about something which I guess is normal but I will feel so sick and if I do eat anything then I sometimes make myself gag and sick by doing so. I don't know if its just normal nerves or if there is something wrong - has anyone else experienced this? It usually occurs in the morning and if I do manage to eat something then I'm fine for the rest of the day but its like I work myself up - its really affecting me, especially as next year I have exams coming up and don't want to be feeling really sick when I'm nervous.
I am going to the doctors about it soon but just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same?
I personally haven't experienced it to this extent, but I understand what you mean that being worried about something can cause you to lose your appetite.

You could try getting a notebook and just writing down everything you're worrying about. Your feelings, thoughts, emotions, etc. Maybe getting it out of your system will then help your body feel relaxed and then able to eat.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes I have experienced the same, but for me it’s worse in the evenings; and again, once I’ve managed to eat I’m fine, as if it’s not the anxiety of the situation that’s the problem, it’s anxiety about being anxious about a situation.

I haven’t found a way of managing it yet, but I have identified some triggers. It is worse if I eat somewhere that is not home, or around people I don’t know well. Worse when I am stressed about something (for me internships but I guess for you it’s exams?). Definitely much worse if I’m tired so try and get a good nights sleep (easier said than done I know).

I find drinking something filling helps, as it goes down a little easier. Milk is good if you like it, otherwise a smoothie or something. Then I just try and nibble on things throughout the day. Salad i find is quite good as it’s light.

Other things that help for me are eating in front of the television, to keep my mind occupied so I don’t focus on not being able to eat, or have a conversation with someone whilst eating, again to keep the mind busy.

Talk to your doctor, but also talk to your school/college as they may be able to refer you to a counsellor quicker than your doctor can.

Best of luck.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads