The Student Room Group

Do people deserve benifits

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unknown_t_
I am not a depressed job seeker as I have written how I am using this, as well as if you had read about what others and I have written for benefits then you would understand how some cannot. I have cystic fibrosis and Adrenal insufficiency and others that involve large amounted of pain therefore at the age 15 I am not able to work yet, but I am still in education and trying. I find it hard but I do not like admitting it, I'm sorry but you need to understand how there are people that cant work.

I cann't work either, I wish i could but I have fibromyalgia so I struggle to type, using my computer etc and most days i get by on siri for everything it also causes issues with brain fog and fatigue, which ain't great. I also struggle with Bpd, depression and anxiety.
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. But then there are those that the free market misses. This is why we don't see the kind of poverty in the UK that is common place in India. Those baying for an end to benefits must surely be prepated to have kids begging on the streets as they walk about in town.

There is literally no better alternative to relieving poverty than free markets and capitalism. The reason we still see this kind of thing in India is because India is still a developing country. As they continue to liberalize their economy and develop, they will come to enjoy the same kind of luxuries that we do, and of course this will take time.
Well if single mothers are entitled to it, I don't see why everyone shouldn't be.
The question of whether someone "deserves" benefits or not seems quite vague to me. That just depends on where you choose to set your standards on who deserves what.

I think the more pertinent question is whether or not it is in the common interest to give benefits to a particular type of person.

For example, in my opinion it is in the common interest to have Jobseekers' Allowance for people who are temporarily unemployed. This because (1) most of us are altruistic to a degree and wouldn't like the idea of someone starving to death because they lost their job and can't afford food etc. and (2) most of us are selfish to a degree, and would want to know that we have a safety net from starvation if we are the ones who lose our jobs for whatever reason.

There may be other types of benefits which are not in the common interest, e.g. those that disincentivise people from working hard and looking after themselves when they are perfectly capable of doing so, or those aimed at people whose undesirable circumstances are entirely of their own making. An example of this would be child benefits paid to parents who are on their 7th or 8th child, who intentionally choose to make a living by having more and more children rather than by working.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending