The Secret Service Watch

anonymous11123xo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm pondering on which subjects to choose to enter the secret service. I have absolutely no idea which subjects would be ideal for an intelligence officer as I can't find any information on it. Which A level subjects would you guys suggest, and which degree (as a degree is needed for this). I'm planning on taking a gap year too before university to hopefully learn a different language and do some travelling as I've heard an interest in foreign culture and being bilingual can certainly help.
daizu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t think you can choose a levels with the aim of working for MI6.
First off a levels don’t really matter by the time you’ve had a couple jobs, and I’m pretty sure MI6 recruit from within the government and existing civil servants. (My dad’s a civil servant in gov and has met cool MI6 people on occasion if you want a source). Your best bet to get into MI6 would be work your way up the civil service and then get recruited from there. Its unlikely that the secret service would give new graduates a job with them, you need to prove that you have valuable skills to bring to the table (don’t believe everything you watch on tv).
Go to a good uni, do a useful degree, do something noble during your work exp (like giving vaccines to poor kids or smth, and then work hard and wait.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
russian, korean & chinese languages would seem the obvious choices.... arabic too.
watershower
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wanted to be a spy when I was having a crisis - did a lot of research and they really find languages useful but the uncommon ones like Russian, Chinese, Hindi and Arabic.
You’ll need a lot of interpersonal skills so get good work experience and yeah, good analytical skills so maybe maths or psychology.
You’ll need to work your way up though, first poster is right in the fact that it might take a while but yeah best of luck
anonymous11123xo
Rep:
?
Okay, got it. What would you class as a useful degree? I was thinking of doing Law but I'm not sure if that's relevant to being an Intelligence Officer? I'm also conflicted on what kind of language to learn, too.
(Original post by daizu)
First off a levels don’t really matter by the time you’ve had a couple jobs, and I’m pretty sure MI6 recruit from within the government and existing civil servants. (My dad’s a civil servant in gov and has met cool MI6 people on occasion if you want a source). Your best bet to get into MI6 would be work your way up the civil service and then get recruited from there. Its unlikely that the secret service would give new graduates a job with them, you need to prove that you have valuable skills to bring to the table (don’t believe everything you watch on tv).
Go to a good uni, do a useful degree, do something noble during your work exp (like giving vaccines to poor kids or smth, and then work hard and wait.
anonymous11123xo
Rep:
?
They're extremely difficult languages to learn, do you know how I would go about doing that?
(Original post by the bear)
russian, korean & chinese languages would seem the obvious choices.... arabic too.
Annonymous66
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I’d recommend an hour or two on the subject that you choose to learn plus watch many shows and movies so you get the hang of how to speak it. Im currently learning Mandarin and it would take at least a year to be conversationally fluent. I’d also recommend going to the country for a little while so that you can surround yourself with the culture and people there so that you can understand the language better. im currently really interested in becoming a special agent and am doing lots of research on it. It’s difficult as hell but good luck!
(Original post by anonymous11123xo)
They're extremely difficult languages to learn, do you know how I would go about doing that?
OnceUponAStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I'm pondering on which subjects to choose to enter the secret service. I have absolutely no idea which subjects would be ideal for an intelligence officer as I can't find any information on it.
The ones that teach you not to discuss your interest in joining the intelligence services in public / online, the actual (official or unofficial) name of the organisation you wanting to work for, and how to search for and obtain information? They literally have a website that describe the information you're asking for.

I'm planning on taking a gap year too before university to hopefully learn a different language and do some travelling as I've heard an interest in foreign culture and being bilingual can certainly help.
Yes, but extensive time abroad probably don't.
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by daizu)
Not true, MI6 (just like MI5) have a graduate scheme!
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I'm pondering on which subjects to choose to enter the secret service. I have absolutely no idea which subjects would be ideal for an intelligence officer as I can't find any information on it. Which A level subjects would you guys suggest, and which degree (as a degree is needed for this). I'm planning on taking a gap year too before university to hopefully learn a different language and do some travelling as I've heard an interest in foreign culture and being bilingual can certainly help.
What A Levels you choose do not really matter, do the ones that interest you the most. MI6 (and MI5) do not require a certain degree subject to be an intelligence officer just a minimum of a 2:2. When choosing a degree pick a course that you will be interested in otherwise it will be a long three years. As others have mentioned learning a foreign language will be useful.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Some suggested courses:

1. A course in modern languages: Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Arabic, Russian, French etc.
2. STEM: computer science, physics, engineering, biology, chemistry
3. Human studies: philosophy, psychology, behaviourist science, politics, international relations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads