projectskban
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So I have sat an AS in physics and will find out the results in August but my problem is I sat end of year mocks for chemistry and biology and got a U in both and so will most likely not be able to continue on to year 13 as my school only allows resits of year 12 and no extra year. I really dont know what to do but I really want to go to uni and I'm not sure if I still can cause I basically wasted a whole year. And advice would be appreciated.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
resits of year 12? so could you not resit this year then seeing as you are in year 12 and your school allows it? (or am i misreading it...)
worth talking to your head of year now or a teacher for some advice on what they think. you need to be thinking about the reasons you got a U and any initiatives you'll take to ensure this doesn't happen again if you are given another chance.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by projectskban)
So I have sat an AS in physics and will find out the results in August but my problem is I sat end of year mocks for chemistry and biology and got a U in both and so will most likely not be able to continue on to year 13 as my school only allows resits of year 12 and no extra year. I really dont know what to do but I really want to go to uni and I'm not sure if I still can cause I basically wasted a whole year. And advice would be appreciated.
Can you have an honest and open discussion with your teachers about your mock results. Do you think you got Us because you really struggled with the content, or because you didn't revise properly, or was it a problem with exam technique (or a bit of all three)?

If you're having real trouble understanding the content, then perhaps these aren't the right subjects for you and it might be worth restarting Year 12 with different subjects? If it's due to lack of work, then maybe you can resit (and actually do the work) early in September and see what you would get?

Resitting Y12 either at your school or at a different college wouldn't be the end of the world- loads of people go to uni when they're 19 instead of 18 for all sorts of reasons, and it might be better to change things now, rather than persevering with A-levels when you're not going to get good grades in those subjects.

If you still want to do something science-y there's an applied science BTEC which covers all three sciences that you might enjoy, so that might be something to look into!
projectskban
Rep:
?
I could resit year 12 but wouldn't be able to go on to year 13 and would be stuck with three AS wich cant get me into uni.
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
resits of year 12? so could you not resit this year then seeing as you are in year 12 and your school allows it? (or am i misreading it...)
worth talking to your head of year now or a teacher for some advice on what they think. you need to be thinking about the reasons you got a U and any initiatives you'll take to ensure this doesn't happen again if you are given another chance.
projectskban
Rep:
?
Yeah I think that if I redo AS I would pass because it was only near the the end that I realised what I was doing wrong but my problem is how am I supposed to get into uni now as I cant go into year 13 for the Alevels
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Can you have an honest and open discussion with your teachers about your mock results. Do you think you got Us because you really struggled with the content, or because you didn't revise properly, or was it a problem with exam technique (or a bit of all three)?

If you're having real trouble understanding the content, then perhaps these aren't the right subjects for you and it might be worth restarting Year 12 with different subjects? If it's due to lack of work, then maybe you can resit (and actually do the work) early in September and see what you would get?

Resitting Y12 either at your school or at a different college wouldn't be the end of the world- loads of people go to uni when they're 19 instead of 18 for all sorts of reasons, and it might be better to change things now, rather than persevering with A-levels when you're not going to get good grades in those subjects.

If you still want to do something science-y there's an applied science BTEC which covers all three sciences that you might enjoy, so that might be something to look into!
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah I think that if I redo AS I would pass because it was only near the the end that I realised what I was doing wrong but my problem is how am I supposed to get into uni now as I cant go into year 13 for the Alevels
What have your school said exactly? Have they said you'll need to retake Year 12? If so, this is probably what you'll have to do- so it'll take an extra year to get to uni.

If they've said you can't come back for Year 13, then your best bet is to find another school or college that will let you start in Year 12. However, state schools aren't supposed to exclude on academic grounds so you/your parents could theoretically appeal this.
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I could resit year 12 but wouldn't be able to go on to year 13 and would be stuck with three AS wich cant get me into uni.
it may be worth starting to look at other colleges or schools that will take you on i'd still talk to your head of year or something before making any rash decisions first.
projectskban
Rep:
?
Yeah but I have been told that this has changed because schools are no longer allowed to remove people from subjects so I assume most sixth form are like mine and no longer do it.
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
What have your school said exactly? Have they said you'll need to retake Year 12? If so, this is probably what you'll have to do- so it'll take an extra year to get to uni.

If they've said you can't come back for Year 13, then your best bet is to find another school or college that will let you start in Year 12. However, state schools aren't supposed to exclude on academic grounds so you/your parents could theoretically appeal this.
Isinglass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This is not the normal intention (or practice) of schools . 'Retaking year 12' - possibly starting again with different subjects - normally means 'starting sixth form again and progressing through to A levels at the end of year 13 with the year group below your current one', not 'just doing year 12 again and leaving with your original year group, just with AS levels, not A levels', iyswim.
Last edited by Isinglass; 3 months ago
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It sounds absolutely crazy to me that you'd be allowed to resit Y12 but then not progress to Y13. I'm struggling to imagine how AS levels on their own could be useful for anyone. Are you completely sure you've interpreted this rule right?

If so, I'd say just go and start again at another college if you can. One with less weird rules!
username4408806
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think it is most likely that you have made a mistake.

I assume they mean that you cannot go to year 13 for 2019/20, but can retake Year 12. If you do well, go to Year 13 for 2020/21.

Generally, if you are already in their 6th Form, state schools are obligated to take you until you're 19 - if need be. However, this assumes that you don't break any school rules and meet their attendance guidelines. Basically, don't give them an excuse to bin you before you reach 19.
Last edited by username4408806; 3 months ago
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah but I have been told that this has changed because schools are no longer allowed to remove people from subjects so I assume most sixth form are like mine and no longer do it.
Sorry, I'm still not quite clear on what your school are saying- do you have to retake year 12 or leave?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.88%
No I haven't decided yet (49)
21.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.14%

Watched Threads