Low maths grade Watch

syllie19
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I recently went to a sixth form induction and the teacher explained that in the future that some universities will not accept students who achieve grade 4/5 in GCSE maths. Is this true or something that the teacher made up to scare us all?
ultimateradman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I could see some universities not accepting those with grades of 4, as that's a "weak" pass, but as 5 is counted as a definite pass I doubt this to be true. It also depends on the course- for example, many medicine courses require a grade 6 or above.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some universities insist on it now depending on the subject you are taking. You can get into some universities for certain courses without grade 4 or C in Maths. To be able to teach in Wales now you need grade B or 6 in both English and Maths.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by syllie19)
I recently went to a sixth form induction and the teacher explained that in the future that some universities will not accept students who achieve grade 4/5 in GCSE maths. Is this true or something that the teacher made up to scare us all?
Yes this is true- a lot of unis want grade 5s in English and maths, rather than grade 4s. Some courses at some unis ask for grade 6 in maths, especially for courses which will have a mathematical element (e.g. stats) but don't require Maths A-level.
syllie19
Rep:
?
Ok thank you!
(Original post by ultimateradman)
I could see some universities not accepting those with grades of 4, as that's a "weak" pass, but as 5 is counted as a definite pass I doubt this to be true. It also depends on the course- for example, many medicine courses require a grade 6 or above.
syllie19
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely look more into requirements for the courses I want to do
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Some universities insist on it now depending on the subject you are taking. You can get into some universities for certain courses without grade 4 or C in Maths. To be able to teach in Wales now you need grade B or 6 in both English and Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads