The Student Room Group

University world ranking vs University Uk ranking

I was genuinely confused by something. For example: The university of Bristol Is ranked 51st in The world ranking chart, and 16th in the UK chart.
Whereas Lancaster University is 6th(Uk chart). Here the problem shows itself. Why is it then in the Top World ranking Lancaster is 142nd? when it is supposed to be Better than Bristol. How is Bristol Higher in the world ranking and lower in the national one compared to Lancaster?
Reply 1
wooooooooooooooo hoooooooooo

calm down lol. Still dont have an answer. how am I supposed to tell which ones better lol
i think from what i’ve been told the discrepancy comes from the uk rankings having a greater focus on things like student satisfaction whereas international rankings are a better gage of so called ‘prestige’ because they’re more based on research quality, reputation/perception etc.
but go to the uni you prefer - ranking isn’t going to have an impact in your experience (and therefore your success). which course do you prefer? which city did you like? etc are the more important questions

Quick Reply