The Student Room Group

"Are these GCSEs good enough for x" - the guide

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bubble123987
9 9s, one 7 and one A^ alright for engineering science at oxford?

I'd say so :-D
Reply 261
Original post by lmgreynolds
I'd say so :-D

That was posted in August 2019! By now they must have already heard back, assuming they actually applied there.
Original post by Sinnoh
That was posted in August 2019! By now they must have already heard back, assuming they actually applied there.

Ah, I didn't even look at the date eek !!! Hope they got in :biggrin:
Original post by Sinnoh
READ CAREFULLY BEFORE COMMENTING!
Quite often, the answer to these such threads is yes.
But there are inevitable asterisks. Read more for specific examples.

Are these results good enough for...

Cambridge:
Well, let's see what they say on their website about GCSE results as an entry requirement:

Things to take away from this:

There is no fixed requirement for GCSE results

If you do badly it's not the end of the world

They care more about A-level performance.

Good A-levels can compensate for "less than stellar" GCSEs, but not the other way around.

From personal experience: GCSEs do not act as a safety net if you badly mess up part of your application.

So chances are, your results are good enough.

Oxford:
The number of times I've heard "Oxford doesn't look at your application unless you have 8 A*s" (or something along those lines) is too damn high, because it is too damn wrong.

To read their full statement on how they view GCSE results, go here and scroll down. The most important takeaways from this are:

A*s, 8s and 9s are regarded as equal (for now). Someone with 10 8s is not disadvantaged against someone with 10 9s.

Like with Cambridge and every other university in the country, they care about a lot more besides GCSE results

There is a correlation between excellent GCSEs and application success. But then again, that's because of the much more obvious link between GCSE and A-level performance. Someone who excels at A-level, who would consider applying to Oxford or Cambridge would probably have excelled in their GCSEs as well.

Exception: Medicine at Oxford. When it comes to medicine, Oxford shortlist for interview based on your GCSEs and BMAT scores and they interview a fixed number of applicants every year. The standard of GCSE results for Oxford med is exceptionally high, and no set of results will ever guarantee you a place.
See here for statistics on GCSE and BMAT scores.

Possible exception: PPE. According to their admissions statistics which you can read here, when it comes to shortlisting applicants to interview, GCSE results are given a "high" importance, along with predicted grades and your TSA score.
GCSEs are regarded within the context of the school you were at - whether your results were below average or above average for your school.
But you can also see, the GCSE standards for shortlisting are nowhere near as high as for medicine. People can get in without any A*s at GCSE.

LSE:
LSE actually explicitly say what they're looking for in applicants' GCSE scores.
Let's start off with actual requirements. No matter what the course, they say that "Your GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 6)".
However, they do prefer all-round strong performance at GCSE, but just how strong depends on how competitive the course is. For example, with Anthropology and Law they state that
"We are also looking for a strong pre-16 academic profile such as several GCSE grades of A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9) or equivalent, and you will also have achieved a good set of GCSE grades or equivalent across a broad range of subjects"
But with Economics, "Applicants should also have already achieved a strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9), or equivalent."
However, your grades will be looked at in the context of the school where you attained them - if you went to an underperforming school for your GCSEs and your results were good relative to your school, even if it doesn't meet those preferences given above, you may still have good chance.

In summary;

Make sure you've got at least a 6 in English Language and Maths

It depends on the course

There's no strict cut-off

If the majority of your grades are 7-9 then relax

If you went to an underperforming school for GCSE and didn't get those results, don't panic

Here's an interesting thing I've just found out - despite having lower preferences for GCSEs, anthropology and law actually has a lower offer rate than economics. Let this be a reminder that GCSEs still aren't all that matters.

Russell Group:
Yes. Your results are good enough, because the Russell Group isn't that special.

They may (and may not) ask for a specific grade in maths and/or English (usually between 4 and 6), but other than that they do not care. For most universities in the Russell Group, the vast majority of applicants get offers.

Medicine:
Delicate one this. Medicine is pretty consistent across the country with how hard it is to get in. You could get into Cambridge but be rejected by Anglia Ruskin. Depending on the medical school you apply to, GCSEs may be used (alongside your BMAT/UKCAT score) to shortlist people for interview, due to the generally high standard of A-level predicted grades among applicants. But it's a thorough process and you can expect all parts of your application to be looked at.

Furthermore there's a bit of variation among what med schools want from GCSEs. Some require five 7s/As minimum (e.g. Sheffield, St. Andrews), some only require passes, some don't have any fixed requirements (e.g. Imperial, Newcastle)

There are some pretty excellent resources on TSR about this already so I'll link them in this section:

GCSE requirements of medical schools: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements
FAQs of the medicine forum: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/medicine-forum-guide-and-faqs
"Are my grades good enough for medicine" megathread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5678544
Other medicine threads for any other queries: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5523988

One aspect in which specific GCSE results are useful is when a 6th form places GCSE requirements on taking certain subjects at A-level, but that's up to the school.

In summary:

Loads of A*s/8s/9s can't hurt

But exceptional grades are not a requirement.

Don't neglect the BMAT/UKCAT and don't think of your GCSEs as a safety net.

GCSE requirements vary among medical schools. If your grades are on the edge, choose carefully.

Exception: Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health courses. GCSE requirements are set by the professional body, not the university, as the course involves a professional registration at the end of it. Therefore, the GCSE requirements are non-negotiable and must be attained.

Any other specified course:
In general: yes.
Unless, as mentioned already, there is a specific requirement for a particular grade in a GCSE subject. But if your query is "are these GCSEs good enough for STEM courses" or something along those lines, the answer is yes.
If in doubt, check the university website and check their course page. I get the feeling not enough people do that.

i do not agree, people with all grade 9s on their subjects have higher chances of getting in as there are going to be thousands of people in England that achieve A stars in A levels , they also look at GCSEs for the overall performance and is sometimes the reason why you get in or not as it is too competitve
Reply 264
Original post by og-icon
i do not agree, people with all grade 9s on their subjects have higher chances of getting in as there are going to be thousands of people in England that achieve A stars in A levels , they also look at GCSEs for the overall performance and is sometimes the reason why you get in or not as it is too competitve

I never said it wasn't an advantage.

I made this thread mainly in response to every year people posting their fantastic results with As and A*s across the board asking if their results were good enough.
medschool in barts?
Original post by starinthenight
medschool in barts?
Have you read the first post?
Original post by 04MR17
Have you read the first post?

yup but ik that entry requirements are never good enough for medschools
Original post by starinthenight
yup but ik that entry requirements are never good enough for medschools
According to whom?
It might be quite early to be thinking about uni, but I'm going into 6th form, and my predicted GCSE results, are:
1(6) , 3 (7s), 2 (8s) and 4(9s)

I hope for the 6 to be a 7, but if I do get one 6 (B), would that really affect my chances?
The 6 is not in a subject I will be taking for A-level, the ones I picked for A-levels are around A-A*.
Original post by lizloe
It might be quite early to be thinking about uni, but I'm going into 6th form, and my predicted GCSE results, are:
1(6) , 3 (7s), 2 (8s) and 4(9s)

I hope for the 6 to be a 7, but if I do get one 6 (B), would that really affect my chances?
The 6 is not in a subject I will be taking for A-level, the ones I picked for A-levels are around A-A*.
Chances of what?
Original post by 04MR17
Chances of what?

Getting into Oxbridge?
Original post by lizloe
Getting into Oxbridge?

As the first post makes clear: there is no answer to this question for Cambridge.
For Oxford, what course are you interested in?
Reply 273
Original post by lizloe
Getting into Oxbridge?

You're fine. What course do you have in mind?
Thinking about choosing, Spanish, Art, Chemistry, Biology
Original post by lizloe
Thinking about choosing, Spanish, Art, Chemistry, Biology

So to confirm, you haven't decided which course you want to study at university but have already decided you want to go to particular institutions?
What if the course you want to study isn't offered at Oxford or Cambridge?
Original post by 04MR17
So to confirm, you haven't decided which course you want to study at university but have already decided you want to go to particular institutions?
What if the course you want to study isn't offered at Oxford or Cambridge?

No i have, I just said it might be early to be thinking about uni, because some people think that but I've already been looking into courses since October or something.
Original post by lizloe
No i have, I just said it might be early to be thinking about uni, because some people think that but I've already been looking into courses since October or something.

Oh so Spanish, Art, Chemistry, Biology are the potential university courses you are thinking about?
I thought those were your A Level choices, my apologies.
If you're going for Art then I believe there is just Fine Art at Oxford and nothing at Cambridge by the way. :smile:
Original post by Sinnoh
READ CAREFULLY BEFORE COMMENTING!
Quite often, the answer to these such threads is yes.
But there are inevitable asterisks. Read more for specific examples.

Are these results good enough for...

Cambridge:
Well, let's see what they say on their website about GCSE results as an entry requirement:

Things to take away from this:

There is no fixed requirement for GCSE results

If you do badly it's not the end of the world

They care more about A-level performance.

Good A-levels can compensate for "less than stellar" GCSEs, but not the other way around.

From personal experience: GCSEs do not act as a safety net if you badly mess up part of your application.

So chances are, your results are good enough.

Oxford:
The number of times I've heard "Oxford doesn't look at your application unless you have 8 A*s" (or something along those lines) is too damn high, because it is too damn wrong.

To read their full statement on how they view GCSE results, go here and scroll down. The most important takeaways from this are:

A*s, 8s and 9s are regarded as equal (for now). Someone with 10 8s is not disadvantaged against someone with 10 9s.

Like with Cambridge and every other university in the country, they care about a lot more besides GCSE results

There is a correlation between excellent GCSEs and application success. But then again, that's because of the much more obvious link between GCSE and A-level performance. Someone who excels at A-level, who would consider applying to Oxford or Cambridge would probably have excelled in their GCSEs as well.

Exception: Medicine at Oxford. When it comes to medicine, Oxford shortlist for interview based on your GCSEs and BMAT scores and they interview a fixed number of applicants every year. The standard of GCSE results for Oxford med is exceptionally high, and no set of results will ever guarantee you a place.
See here for statistics on GCSE and BMAT scores.

Possible exception: PPE. According to their admissions statistics which you can read here, when it comes to shortlisting applicants to interview, GCSE results are given a "high" importance, along with predicted grades and your TSA score.
GCSEs are regarded within the context of the school you were at - whether your results were below average or above average for your school.
But you can also see, the GCSE standards for shortlisting are nowhere near as high as for medicine. People can get in without any A*s at GCSE.

LSE:
LSE actually explicitly say what they're looking for in applicants' GCSE scores.
Let's start off with actual requirements. No matter what the course, they say that "Your GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 6)".
However, they do prefer all-round strong performance at GCSE, but just how strong depends on how competitive the course is. For example, with Anthropology and Law they state that
"We are also looking for a strong pre-16 academic profile such as several GCSE grades of A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9) or equivalent, and you will also have achieved a good set of GCSE grades or equivalent across a broad range of subjects"
But with Economics, "Applicants should also have already achieved a strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9), or equivalent."
However, your grades will be looked at in the context of the school where you attained them - if you went to an underperforming school for your GCSEs and your results were good relative to your school, even if it doesn't meet those preferences given above, you may still have good chance.

In summary;

Make sure you've got at least a 6 in English Language and Maths

It depends on the course

There's no strict cut-off

If the majority of your grades are 7-9 then relax

If you went to an underperforming school for GCSE and didn't get those results, don't panic

Here's an interesting thing I've just found out - despite having lower preferences for GCSEs, anthropology and law actually has a lower offer rate than economics. Let this be a reminder that GCSEs still aren't all that matters.

Russell Group:
Yes. Your results are good enough, because the Russell Group isn't that special.

They may (and may not) ask for a specific grade in maths and/or English (usually between 4 and 6), but other than that they do not care. For most universities in the Russell Group, the vast majority of applicants get offers.

Medicine:
Delicate one this. Medicine is pretty consistent across the country with how hard it is to get in. You could get into Cambridge but be rejected by Anglia Ruskin. Depending on the medical school you apply to, GCSEs may be used (alongside your BMAT/UKCAT score) to shortlist people for interview, due to the generally high standard of A-level predicted grades among applicants. But it's a thorough process and you can expect all parts of your application to be looked at.

Furthermore there's a bit of variation among what med schools want from GCSEs. Some require five 7s/As minimum (e.g. Sheffield, St. Andrews), some only require passes, some don't have any fixed requirements (e.g. Imperial, Newcastle)

There are some pretty excellent resources on TSR about this already so I'll link them in this section:

GCSE requirements of medical schools: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements
FAQs of the medicine forum: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/medicine-forum-guide-and-faqs
"Are my grades good enough for medicine" megathread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5678544
Other medicine threads for any other queries: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5523988

One aspect in which specific GCSE results are useful is when a 6th form places GCSE requirements on taking certain subjects at A-level, but that's up to the school.

In summary:

Loads of A*s/8s/9s can't hurt

But exceptional grades are not a requirement.

Don't neglect the BMAT/UKCAT and don't think of your GCSEs as a safety net.

GCSE requirements vary among medical schools. If your grades are on the edge, choose carefully.

Exception: Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health courses. GCSE requirements are set by the professional body, not the university, as the course involves a professional registration at the end of it. Therefore, the GCSE requirements are non-negotiable and must be attained.

Any other specified course:
In general: yes.
Unless, as mentioned already, there is a specific requirement for a particular grade in a GCSE subject. But if your query is "are these GCSEs good enough for STEM courses" or something along those lines, the answer is yes.
If in doubt, check the university website and check their course page. I get the feeling not enough people do that.

Hi,
can anyone tell me I would be able to get a grade of 7?
I had done 2 2020 paper.
Then 1 2019 paper and 1 unseen paper.
All papers total 180.
And if I score a mark of 100 in total.
would i be able to get a grade 7 - I have calculated that the total would become a grade 7 but I still need reassurance?
EDEXCEL EXAM BOARD
Hi,
can anyone tell me I would be able to get a grade of 7?
I had done 2 2020 paper.
Then 1 2019 paper and 1 unseen paper.
All papers total 180.
And if I score a mark of 100 in total.
would i be able to get a grade 7 - I have calculated that the total would become a grade 7 but I still need reassurance?
EDEXCEL EXAM BOARD

Quick Reply

Latest