French A Level Watch

daizu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Anyone who does french a level can you tell me about the pros and cons of it?

I’m predicted 7/8 in French gcse and I think my exams went well too. I’ve been thinking about french a level since March but I still haven’t made up my mind. (I want to do it but I also don’t want to ruin my uni chances)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
medstudent30
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hey - I studied French A Level and really enjoyed it. I don’t know what other subjects you are thinking of doing but I did biology and chemistry and so French offered a creative outlet from the sciences. It offered me the opportunity to learn more about French culture and politics as well as the language. Depending on what you are wanting to study at uni, French can make you stand out as a candidate for university as you have a skill that is sought after. One thing that I struggled with was getting the balance between sciences and french right. I was applying for medicine so naturally biology and chemistry seemed more important and for a while I let the French slip. Overall I would definitely recommend considering it - from your predicted grades, it sounds like you are good at French and if you have a passion for it you will enjoy it and hopefully get the grade you want. Hope this helps! 😊
(Original post by daizu)
Anyone who does french a level can you tell me about the pros and cons of it?

I’m predicted 7/8 in French gcse and I think my exams went well too. I’ve been thinking about french a level since March but I still haven’t made up my mind. (I want to do it but I also don’t want to ruin my uni chances)
daizu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by medstudent30)
Hey - I studied French A Level and really enjoyed it. I don’t know what other subjects you are thinking of doing but I did biology and chemistry and so French offered a creative outlet from the sciences. It offered me the opportunity to learn more about French culture and politics as well as the language. Depending on what you are wanting to study at uni, French can make you stand out as a candidate for university as you have a skill that is sought after. One thing that I struggled with was getting the balance between sciences and french right. I was applying for medicine so naturally biology and chemistry seemed more important and for a while I let the French slip. Overall I would definitely recommend considering it - from your predicted grades, it sounds like you are good at French and if you have a passion for it you will enjoy it and hopefully get the grade you want. Hope this helps! 😊
Thank you, this helps!
I’d be taking English Lit, RS and Classical Civ with it which is really arts heavy so I don’t know if it would be the best idea to take french too.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
medstudent30
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Have got any idea to what you want to do at uni?
(Original post by daizu)
Thank you, this helps!
I’d be taking English Lit, RS and Classical Civ with it which is really arts heavy so I don’t know if it would be the best idea to take french too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads